all posts post new thread

New to all this

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gary W

Level 5 Valued Member
So i started using kettlebells and bodyweight about 2 weeks ago after moving house and my gym, of which i was a member for 7 yrs is too far. Any gym is too far for that matter.

After finding this forum and getting a super amount of help ive decided to start my first ever log, i dout i will post here every day but hoping to use it as a place to ask any questions or get advice.

A little about me, im 37 180lbs been training for 7 yrs most of which just lazy weight lifting no real effort but very consistent.
Diet wise i pretty much eat the same every day im at work, about 150g protien 250g carbs and 100g good fats 30ish fibre.

Im not into diet as much as i used to be, 1 i cant aford it and 2 having kids makes it harder to not eat ice cream!

So now im doing a type of circuit mon and wed and simple and sinister on fridays, hoping i can use the friday as a kind of gauge as to how my fitness and strengh is improving.

Flexible steal tues and thurs poss sat sun too

So hear goes, yesterday i woke up with a very stiff Achilles, wraped it up with compress and cracked on today, i seem to be prone to injury the last few yrs.

Ive just moved home and been decorating all week plus working out so that might be taking its toll, im not sure but will just see how it feels.

Today i done

Warm up
pying squat 10kg
Bridge
Halo 10kg
X3

OA Swings 1x10 each 16kg
Row 1x10 26kg
X3
Reverse Lunge 1x6 16kg
Push up 1x20
X3
Farmers 70m 40kg

Cool down stretching
Side bends
Down dog
Low back exttention, cobra??
Lunge stretch
Calf stretch (always stiff from driving)
X2

Im mixing OA swing with 2 arm as im trying to make sure my form is perfect but starting to feel light already.

Lunge im very week at, so lowered reps from 10 to 6 as my balance isnt great and find it very challenging cardio wise.

Other that that felt good. Roll on friday hope my ankle feels better.

Shes got me doing another day of decorating so no rest for me agian today!

Thanks for all the help so far people!

Last edited:
So after decorating all day i felt abit tight so thought id try practicing my prying squat.
Ive always been very inflexible to say the least and as i thought my back rounds quite a lot at the bottom, anything i can do to loosen up abit?

Last edited:
So i foumd this film

Im going to start doing this insteat of the prying squat as i cant really do it correctly due to lack of flexibility.
My hips really hurt doing this, hoping that will get better as i get more flexible.

19/7/18

Stretching
Flexible steel

My ankle still hurts today had ice on it a few times yesterday.

20/7/18

Normally workout 6-630am

Today i couldnt get out of bed, think a mix of the new workouts and decorating the house all week has taken its toll on me today.

Anyway this evening i decided to do some stretching, flexible steel.
That lead to me practicing getups with 10kg, done 5 on each side got a good sweat on too haha
Its just the reverse lunge that is my weakest point, very wobbly.
My lower back feels sore today so i just used 10kg and done 2 sets of 10 one arm swings to keep practicing as i feel my form drops out evey few swings and i need to re adjust it.

Something is better than nothing i guess, 2 days off working out now so hopfully ill be fresh monday

Nice weekend break, i done stretching saturday and sunday.
Laying flooring all day Saturday so not really a rest day, ill be glad when the decorating is finished.

23/7/18

1a Swings 1x10
Press 1x10
X3
Rev lunge 1x 8 8 6
Pull up 1x10
X3
Farmers 40kg

Reverse lunge felt much better today, still a little wobby on final set so lowered to 6.

Need to get some chains so i can carry 80kg as 40 for farmers is hardly getting me out of breath.
OA swings felt better today too so all in all a good workout.

Been working on that rocking squat motion as my hips really are stiff, so are my hamstrings, thats what driving 500-1000 miles a week does to ya!

25/7/18

OA Swings 1x10 16kg
OA Row 1x10 26kg
X3
Squat 1x10 16kg
Push up 1x20 BW
X3
Farmers x 40kg

Everything feeling good today, done a couple extra lenghts on farmers.

Still working with the 16kg but feeling light already, i just want to be 100% sure im happy to move up to 24kg

Timed my workout today 30min including warm up and cool down stretching, not very long really but maybe it will be longer when i up the weight.

Looking forward to S&S on friday, the more i practice getups the more im enjoing that workout.

27/7/18

Warm up
OA swing x10 16kg
X5
Getups x1 16kg
X5
Cool down

Total 32mins

Felt good, there are some things im noticing using kettlebells, 1 is that compered to bodybuilding type workouts i was doing, kbs transfer over to every day life alot more, just getting up off the floor is easier and id never really noticed it before.
2 is i can lift 16kg all day long but am seriously lacking in balance and cardio so im glad to be improving on them things.

Still stretching 4 days a week and am slowly looseing up, 37 yrs of no stretching and driving for a living i think its going to take a while to get to where id like to be

As some may have seen from my other post im trying to cut my carbs from around 250 a day too 100-150, not low carb i know but want to see if it helps me to drop a little fat.
I replaced my breakfast with butter coconut coffee and dam ive been missing out!

30/7/18

2a Swings 1x20 16kg
Press 1x10 16kg
X3
Rev lunge 1x10 16kg
Pull up 1x10 bw
X1

Been ill over the weekend, caught some germs from the kids i think, anyway was tempted to skip a workout today but just tried to get through it, ended up cutting it short as feeling rough.

1/8/18

Done my workout pm today as been busy all day.

OA Swings 1x10 16kg
Row 1x10 26kg
X3
Squat 1x10 16kg
Push up 1x20 bw
X3

Found it pretty easy today dispute feeling under the wether.

Seemed to be over quite quick although i forgot to time it again

Its really been helping me get more flexible in my hips! Still a long way to go though

3/8/18

Warmup
Swing x 10 left arm
Swing x 10 right arm
×5

Left tgu x1
Right tgu x1
×5
Cool down

27mins

I done left arm right arm rest, Only 10-15sec rest was all i needed if that.

Getups, no rest just banged them out.

Defo upping to 24kg once i get paied

6/8/18
Warm up
1a Swings 1x10 16kg
Press 1x10 16kg
X3
Rev lunge 1x 10 7 4 16kg
Pull up 1x6 bw +10kg
X3
Farmers 40kg x 170feet
Cool down stretching
29mins

So after decorating all day i felt abit tight so thought id try practicing my prying squat.
Ive always been very inflexible to say the least and as i thought my back rounds quite a lot at the bottom, anything i can do to loosen up abit?

I have separated the "prying" from the squat, so I squat down unloaded, get comfortable, then grab the horns and do curls or prying.
Following a thread post (poss from Kettlebelephant) when doing curls I focus on abdominal tension and turn the curls into a bracing and breathing exercise. This has helped me.
If feeling good I'll do the GSQ after.
Cheers, W

Its just the reverse lunge that is my weakest point, very wobbly.

When I saw an SFG he had me lunge back way further than I thought.

i just want to be 100% sure im happy to move up to 24kg

You seem to be only doing 1 set of 10 swings if I'm reading correctly. Maybe try building volume 1st.
That said there are advantages to heavier bells, but focus on technique.

Went for a walk with the mrs last night and on the way back had pain in my left knee, i had meniscus sugary last yr on my right knee and i know this is the same thing.
So ive got to try and get a mri on it now.

Im still going to carry on with my routine but use knee supports had hope its ok

Anyway, done stretching today and added windmills

Swing x 10 left arm
Swing x 10 right arm
X5

Left tgu x1
Right tgu x1
X5 or 6 lost count!

16kg

Forgot to time but geting easier each time

Welcome to the forum @Gary Wilson!!! It is good to see that you are making progress. Remember slow & steady progress is not sexy, but it is safe and reliable.

Have you read the Simple & Sinister book? I ask, only because of the following statement I am going to make to you. It is recommended that you start at 5 sets of 10 reps (both arms), and gradually work your way up to 10 sets of 10 reps (5 sets with each arm). I am not bashing or minimizing your effort and progress that you have made and logged. I am just recommending to you that you try to meet the 10 sets (5 sets with each arm) before you look to incorporate a larger kettlebell. Same with the TGU, work to own this movement from start to finish, strong & solid in each stage, before moving up to a heavier kettlebell.

I hope that you think of my recommendation as building your strength foundation before moving forward.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom