all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed New to Forum: Starting Power to The People! OHP for Press Variation and additional exercises?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Fabian Wadle

First Post
New to the forum and after hearing Pavel on Tim Ferriss, watching his videos and reading PTTP all the way through I really dig the SF philosophy. I. Just eased my way back in the gym after COVID layoff, and I'm looking to start from scratch and give this promising strength routine a try. I have couple years of experience with a good personal trainer but havent DL'd in a minute.
Question: Any experience using the OHP as a press variation, I used to OHP on SS but its been a couple years and still want to target my shoulders, and barbell side press isnt feasible in my gym (lack of space and barbells). Also, would it be frowned upon to add some KB suitcase carries at the end, or would this be too taxing? Just curious.
I am also just leaning to keep the program as is, and do floor press and conventional DL, but would love some feedback.
Thanks!

@Fabian Wadle, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Any press you wish to substitute will suffice - nice that it would be a one-arm version so that you'd have a one-arm lift to go along with your two-arm deadlift. One reason that's such a good match is because the overhead press with two arms will put something of a load on the lower back that the one-arm version will not, and the lower back is well taken care of by the deadlift - using the OHP with the DL risks overtraining your lower back.

I have actually done this combination of lifts in the same cycle, but only when the OHP was done with light weights and primarily to teach myself to have better overhead positioning and posture, not with anything vaguely heavy. For comparison purposes, my DL topped out at 345 lbs while my OHP topped out a 95 lbs.

Suitcase carries - could be fine, try and see if it results in overtraining of your grip. And if you have a kettlebell, then you might consider using the kettlebell 1-arm military press along with your 2-arm barbell deadlift - that's a great combination, IMO.

-S-

^Sound advice as always. Carries generally are not taxing until they get heavy enough that the accumulation of grip work between heavy carries and heavy deadlifts causes you to lower the frequency or switch to a different carry (KB rack, OH).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom