all posts post new thread

Kettlebell New to Kettlebell Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dcp

Level 3 Valued Member
Greetings to all -
So glad I found this forum (thank you Tim Ferris).
I just ordered the simple and sinister book. Plan to follow the program.
I have never used Kettlebells before.

1) What weights would the forum recommend I purchase to start? I work out regularly and use body weight, dumbbells and a pull up bar (all from home or a hotel). I never go to the gym.
2) Is there a preferred place to purchase kettlebells? Budget is important to me.

Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome. If you are in the US, Walmart has inexpensive but “good enough” bells for swings and getups. Start with 16kg (35lbs) per the book. You may need to upgrade soon to 24kg - I recommend Rogue (powdercoat) for that purchase: it’ll be “the one” you get the most lifetime mileage out of.

@dcp, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

There is no hard-and-fast rule about what size to start with, but we do suggest people give a bit more background about themselves than you've given, although what you've said does help. If asked to pick a size for a healthy, adult male to start with: 16 kg. I remember when I started - I was shocked at how much the 16 kg kicked my behind, but two week later, I was ordering a 24 kg, so provided your form is good, you should adapt quickly.

-S-

Thanks to all for the quick response. I am about 156lbs (down from 198 a year ago). 49 years old (old man). Been on a very clean diet and consistent workout program since November. Been doing a 4 day split for last 6 weeks. Try to keep wo's to less than 25 minutes just due to time and other responsibilities. Think I will start with 16kg kb...but wondering if I also need a 14kb or even 12kb as well?? Can't wait to start...
Thanks again for taking time to answer me.

Think I will start with 16kg kb...but wondering if I also need a 14kb or even 12kb as well?? Can't wait to start...

I never needed a 12, even when I started. Maybe for presses if you're just getting started a 12 would be nice, but you'll probably out grow it quickly.

I'm not a big fan of the half-step bells. I own a gym and only have one 14, one 18, and one 22 for the folks who are really having trouble making the jump (usually on presses). I try to avoid using them - I like the approach of owning the bell before moving up. The bigger steps are actually a nice constraint to live with, you get REALLY good before you move up to the next bell. Or at least that's what I tell myself, I leaned when there weren't any half steps, the kids these days, get off my lawn, ...

Thanks again to everyone. Really appreciate taking time to help me. I think 16kg it is for starting. Like the idea of skipping the 1/2 steps. Good advice. Just hope the ole 49 year old frame can handle the 16kg (LOL as the kids say)

Welcome to the forums, @dcp !

16 and 24 are good reccomendations. Even as you get stronger, the 16 is good for things like halos, bottom-up presses, and crush curls. ( Don't worry, you'll pick up the lingo)

Should you need a "half step" bell, you can also make make one pretty easily with barbell weights Use straps for safety and duct tape for stability. I'll post a picture later.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom