all posts post new thread

Barbell New to lifting, shoes question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tony S

First Post
Hey all, 47 year old guy just now getting more serious about going to the gym. I’ve been looking around at different shoes. These ones called the Powerlift 2 caught my eye cause they weren’t too expensive. Are these a good choice for a beginner?

Much appreciated!

For your strength and health, we generally recommend minimalist shoes or no shoes at all for use in our programs. For maximum performance, you will want a shoe suited to the task at hand, and there are different kinds of shoes for different kinds of athletic activities.

Welcome to StrongFirst, @Tony S!

-S-

Not too expensive? Those Adidas, at cheapest, are triple what I paid for last pair of gym shoes.

The Addidas Powerlift shoe is a decent shoe for the average gym goer. May seem expensive but if you take care of them they will last you a long time.

They have a bit of a heel so they will help if you squat and bench.

Last edited:
I prefer to mix up lifting in bare feet or my Vivobarefoot shoes. Though, some of their shoes are a bit pricey.

I was recently looking at Chuck Taylors, but they are too narrow for me. I found the Reebok crossfit lite trainers, and they are awesome, they have a wide toe and flat bottom like the classic Chuck Taylors. They are for lifting, nothing else, so don't let the crossfit name fool you. I got them for $34 on Amazon.

You can't go wrong with Chucks. Classic lifting shoe. I have wide feet also, EEE, and I have had a few pairs; never had a problem with width though.

@Tony S, welcome!

What are your goals?

What shoes do you train in now?

A simple solution to consider are Deadlift slippers, if your facility requires shoes.

For transparency, I train/live in New Balance Minimus shoes. My wife does her weekly Deadlift session barefoot. She does not like shoes, in general, lol. That said, I believe her decision translates well when she gets on the Yoga mat.

My goal is longevity, so no money or medal on the line, which is why I prefer to reduce as many variables as possible.

Also, the phrase "no number stands alone" influences my decision making. Specialized shoes, sleeves, wraps, etc. all impact the data I am internalizing. As I consider it, those helps can muddy the waters. As a result, I forgo them.

My decisions are a result of considering my original question:

What are your goals?

All the best as you unpack your decision and drive on!

This topic has been done multiple times, so I didn't want to create a new thread - just update this one.

I wanted to share my experience for anybody who is sceptical and on the fence about buying lifting shoes. I started lifting barbell (classic combo of press, bench, squat and deadlift) a couple months ago. I used to do all my lifts in Chucks. After much deliberation and some unpleasant sessions when the squatting weight started getting closer to 200 lbs I bought lifting shoes. My main concern was getting some arch support and generally sturdier foot support. I can't say my feet were moving a lot with Chucks, but there was enough "wiggle" to make the lift less focused. I did not care for the heel as I have good ankle mobility, so that wasn't the reason I got them.

I have to say, my first session with lifting shoes was amazing. The difference they make is huge compared to Chucks, especially in the squat. The main benefit was the confidence in the lift I got. They are not a "crutch", the squat is still heavy and difficult, but when your feet are so snugly "bolted" to the ground and you feel all the force transmitted directly down it makes a ton of difference.

I urge everybody who squats heavy to try lifting shoes. You can always return them if they don't suit you, but at least try them.

One more thing - I am a pretty tall guy (193 cm) and the shoes did not make me feel more out of balance because of the heel. I was worried about it before bying them, but the mechanics don't change that dramatically with a smalll heel raise. I even deadlifted in them and it was fine. Maybe for a deadlift PR I would use Chucks, but everyday training is just fine in lifting shoes.

@IonRod, what shoes did you buy? I just did my first 3-lift meet in a while and wore different shoes for each life. SQ was Oly shoes, BP was Chucks, and DL was DL slippers.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom