all posts post new thread

Kettlebell New to Strongfirst.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Joshua

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everyone, I recently came to Kettlebell training and I was wondering people's opinions on this workout. I found it a while ago online.

Apologies if this has been uploaded before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 62
Welcome, Joshua!

It's really best if you have a foundation to build your longcycle and side press on. They're technical and nuanced. It would be like working on your purple belt before you get your blue. A great program for beginners would be Simple & Sinister. Once you have that down, you can work on your cleans and snatches. Once those are down, you can start working on your jerks. Then longcycle. It's not that it's like a step 1, step 2, step 3 kind of thing, but the movements all build on each other. i.e., I don't think cleans would ever feel right if my body didn't already understand swings. I've never tried a side press, so I can't really comment on it.

I second Mr. Moran above. While the drill is definitely worth taking up by some folks (dudes who want to get the most bang for their buck in terms of size and strength/conditioning and aren't already training hard in some other athletic pursuit), the double long cycle is a very harsh mistress. You've got to pay your dues and put in long term dedication to do right by it.

If you're sold on kettlebells (and no way of blaming you for that one, smart move!) and up to some advice, I'd go by the plan spelled out succinctly by Coach Dan John here: “things are going so well, help me screw it up!” part 2 - StrongFirst (part one is worth reading as well, but the link gets right to the step by step progression). Once you've put in the time and advanced to doubles work, the LCC&J comes heavily into play with Return of The Kettlebell--my personal favorite program.

Just be certain to lay that strong, solid foundation first.

Thanks guys for your input.
I personally, absolutely love Long Cycle. I've got the technique down pretty well (always can do with some improvement, unless you're Denis Vasiliev).
It feels very fluid and yes, I have caught the kettlebell bug. I won't be returning to powerlifting or the barbell anytime soon haha.

Anyone competed in GS??

not to sound harsh, but the routine is not a routine, it's not specific enough - it basically reads: lccj as many as you can, side press as many as you can, chins as many as you can.

honestly - what is your objective, how much time per week can you commit to meeting that objective, what is your tolerance for work, how long do you have to meet the objective - i can do sets of 5 side presses literally all day depending upon the weight- so is your tues/thurs session to do sets of 5 side presses for the entire day - the routine listed is not really a routine.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom