all posts post new thread

New Training Log -- Adam Mundorf

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Fighter Pull Up Program (5RM) Day 3
Simple and Sinister
  • Warm-Up
    • 3 x 5
      • 16kg Prying Goblet Squat. 1 Curl at Bottom of Each Squat.
  • Swings
    • 10 x 10 -- 24kg One Handed Swing
  • Turkish Get Up
    • 5 x 1 -- 32kg Turkish Get Up
  • Before Bed Stretches
    • 3 rounds
Calf Raises (Will be done on Monday's and Friday's)
2 x 20 Bent Leg Calf Raise

Last edited:
My Google Doc Training Log : Workout Log

Worthwhile additions :
  1. Sitting in a flat footed bodyweight squat for 10 minutes cumulative a day.
  2. Greasing the groove with grippers and push-ups. Few here and a few there.
  3. Added in bridging and calf progressions ala convict conditioning on off days for some added mobility and strength. I feel that these kettlebell programs miss bending backwards and I feel that a muscle as big as the calves deserves some extra work. They're called the second heart for good reason.
  4. Lots of added mobility/active flexibility work like always.
  5. Daily headspace meditation sessions.
  6. It feels good to work with a laughably light weight, allows me to focus on the process.

Oh, wow. Didn't notice you switched to Rite of Passage @Adam_R_Mundorf . Is there a reason you gave up on Simple? Just not your kind of program? I read your blog post but you didn't mention it.

Anyways, best of luck with the new program!

Oh, wow. Didn't notice you switched to Rite of Passage @Adam_R_Mundorf . Is there a reason you gave up on Simple? Just not your kind of program? I read your blog post but you didn't mention it.

Anyways, best of luck with the new program!
Yeah, it's definitely not my kind of program. It became a grind after a while and sort of boring. I'm loving the Rite of Passage though and am on my third week. After I run through it with the 16kg, I'm going to start over but with a hypertrophy tilt. The same thing but with 30 seconds of rest between rungs/ladders, only military presses and a little bit more protein during the day.

Yeah, it's definitely not my kind of program. It became a grind after a while and sort of boring. I'm loving the Rite of Passage though and am on my third week. After I run through it with the 16kg, I'm going to start over but with a hypertrophy tilt. The same thing but with 30 seconds of rest between rungs/ladders, only military presses and a little bit more protein during the day.

Ok, thanks for the update. I will try to stay on course until timeless simple. :D

I'm on my fourth week of the Rite of Passage. Really enjoying working with a light weight and focusing on form. I finally have a full size chin up bar installed outside so I can do full body/hollow boy extended chin ups. My back and shoulders are responding very quickly.

I'm on track to complete the RoP with the 16kg in about 2 months? Then I'm going to go back through it with minimal rest (30 sec) and military presses only while pulse feeding some extra protein during the day. Sort of changing it to a quasi hypertrophy program. Really show mastery of the weight. After that move back through with the 20kg and keep on inching up until I reach half bodyweight.

I have a call with Ori Hofmekler tomorrow to get his expanded views on hypertrophy and any other change in thinking since we last talked on the phone.

Just completed my sixth week of the rite of passage 16kg. Everything is feeling really, really good. I'm currently at 3 Ladders to 4 and 2 ladders to 3. Slowly working my way up the progressions. While the 16kg is very light for me, the volume does make it feel heavier.

Strict Hollow Body Chin Ups are still pretty easy for me, which is surprising because I've gained some weight over the last year, definitely not all muscle lol.

Over the last year I've been working on my relationship with food. I still follow the Warrior Diet by Ori Hofmekler but I don't adhere to any strict food choices or macros. I still fast/undereat during the day but at night I eat pretty much whatever as long as it isn't processed sugar like candy, cake etc.

I've been doing headspace meditations daily. Really trying to get allot of sleep and have been spending more time outside. I've been averaging 12,000 steps per day! This also has to do with the fact my job is still open and I'm on my feet all day.

Just pre-ordered a couple Dragondoor bells. A 16kg and a 24kg. I'm curious to see how long it will take them to ship..... I'm a little wary that they are doing this pre-order system to create capital for their new isochain product as it didn't create the buzz they wanted.

My plan is too experiment with the RoP ladder system but with doubles, only military presses and front squats. Most have said in the past that doubles is too much volume for the lower back but I believe that would be due to the volume of cleans. After I get done this cycle with the 16kg, I'm going to try 16kg doubles.

Recently began light to medium snatching instead of swings as I don't really like to swing but I love to snatch.

With the hinge pattern, the cleans shouldn’t be putting any tremendous load on your low back. Think about the volume of S&S as well as the load. The cleans don’t reach that at all with ROP. The load comes from the volume and load of OH presses. If you’re dealing with close to or over 1/2 your body weight, your spine would not be able to manage to progress 5 ladders to 5.

With the hinge pattern, the cleans shouldn’t be putting any tremendous load on your low back. Think about the volume of S&S as well as the load. The cleans don’t reach that at all with ROP. The load comes from the volume and load of OH presses. If you’re dealing with close to or over 1/2 your body weight, your spine would not be able to manage to progress 5 ladders to 5.
Thank you for the advice! I'm considering tapering off the RoP at the 1/3 bodyweight level.

Also, wouldn't chin ups/pull ups inbetween the presses decompress the spine?

It can, when you’re in a dead hang. During the movement, the lats are contracted keeping the lumbar spine tight. It’s not compressing the spine, but not decompressing either.

End of Week 7 Rite of Passage. Began week 8 today.
Rite of Passage
Everything is feeling really fantastic. Every variety day I follow the directions from Enter the Kettlebell. Cleans, Turkish Get Ups, Swings and Snatches done with a heavier than press bell. I'm up to 4 ladders of 4 rungs for a heavy day right now, next week moving up to 5 ladders of 4 rungs. Every press superset with perfect form hollow body chin ups. The only part of the original training that I changed is that instead of swings, I perform light to medium snatches after every workout. If I'm feeling well, my hands feel good and shoulders feel nice, I changed the effort.
Health
I'm averaging 13,000 steps per day which is fantastic. I'm sleeping very well. I've began mouth taping during sleep again. Still following a loose warrior diet. Some fruit, vegetables and light protein during the day. Salad, Steamed Vegetables and whatever else at night. Just nothing pure junk, ice cream/candy etc. My shoulder and back musculature is responding well to the volume of presses and chin ups even with the light weight of 16kg.
Kettlebells
My Dragondoor pre-order is due to ship midway July. Which is perfect because at a minimum I still have 6 weeks left on this program.

Week 8 ended a few days ago.

Everything is going well. My goal for this week is too work more on mobility and active flexibility. Been kind of slacking on it a little.

I'm considering cycling the Rite of Passage with Al Kavadlo's Universal Strength. I'm going to ponder it more over the next couple of weeks. My thoughts are after I get done this Rite of Passage program with the 16kg I'll be on the program for 14 or 15 weeks. Al Kavadlos Universal Strength is a one month equipment free calisthenics program that incorporates skills, mobility, flexibility and strength.

It would be a tonic of sorts.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom