all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed New training program

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

My goal for 2017 is to achieve 24kg on my Getups (5 per side)Currently 16kg.

To achieve this
Monday -S&S
Tuesday - Farmer Walk

Thursday- S&S
Friday- Snatches (depending on shoulders), or 2 hand swings EMOTM - 5 Snatches or 10 swings.

I might do the odd S&S go for it day on Saturday and skip Friday. Or a standards day to move up to the next S&S bell.

Thoughts?

Most people do S&S at least three days a week, some are doing it 4 or more. It depends a lot on what you have time for really.

If the TGU is your immediate goal some specific training will help. If you can find a way to fit in a few TGU's every other day and get around 4 or even 5 days practice in you should get to your goal of TGU's with 24 kg sooner rather than later.

You don't have to do a lot each day as long as it is quality practice. Slow the movement right down with the 16 kg and get it as perfect as you can.

The downside of a good training program is it is monotonous. Imagine how boring the training and life of a Olympian must be, hours a day, day after day, year after year. Same diet, same daily routine for their whole training life.

Swings and get ups are an undeniable beginner and advanced program. Just like squat, bench, overhead press and deadlift are to the barbell.

I totally agree with @Geoff Chafe, but I will add this: The upside of a good training programme is also that it is monotonous. Once you have it dialed in it becomes second nature, you don't have to think about it, or over analyze it. All you need to do, is to do the work. That's what I like about S&S and NW. Daily stuff that you just do. It's not for everyone, and people have vastly different goals that require different modalities. S&S is good for up to 6 days per week...

@Mark Kidd ... if your goal is to get S&S then my advice is to follow the book, with minimal variations or side trips.

Hello,

@Mark Kidd
I think you will progress better with 3 sessions a week at least. Yes it can be "boring" but you will see great results pretty fast, including in your daily life (lifting something, etc...).

IMO, it is possible to achieve your goal with 3 sessions a week. The most important thing is the quality of your training. However, your progress on S&S will be slower than "expected" because this program is based on a 4 - 6 days a week frame if you mainly focus on it. Once you will achive it, maybe you could do 2 sessions a week to maintain your level and use other session to create variety.

I am clearly not an "expert" or whatever, but from my experience, 5 or 6 days works very well. then my "advice" would be...4 or 6 training a week to hitt 24, and then adapt to only maintain.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My concern is I will get bored if I do it that often.
You could do "same but different" movements to work around that. After Simple I got bored with only TGUs (oddly not the same feeling for swings), so I went away from the S&S time standards and started to freestyle.
For example:
- TGU with windmill at the top
- TGU with presses at various stages
- TGU with presses and a windmill at the top
- at top of TGU lower KB to rack and do a bent press

Or you you could play around with reps/weight. One of my favorite is 3 TGU left (without putting the weight down) / 3 right with a light weight -> 2 reps l/r with medium weight -> 1 rep l/r heavy -> 2 reps l/r medium -> 3 reps l/r light

If you mix all of these variations (reps/weight/movements) you end up with a lot of possibilities, but they all work your TGU in some way, so you will still progress on the standard TGU.

I know that if I do a press at every stage on the way up, lower the weight at the top to perform a bent press, then move right into a windmill and then do a press at every stage on the way down, I definitely own that KB :)

Ok I will do S&S 3 days a week and keep Friday a conditioning day.

The downside of a good training program is it is monotonous. Imagine how boring the training and life of a Olympian must be, hours a day, day after day, year after year. Same diet, same daily routine for their whole training life.

In my gym an olympian weightlifter trains, and I can attest to what you are saying. Every time I´m there, early in the morning or late at the earning he and his father (coach) is there doing the same lifts over and

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom