all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Newbie announcement - a new S&S follower

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Henningb

Level 3 Valued Member
I’m 42 years, male, 6’7” (203 cm), 194 lbs (88 kg), PBF 13.1% fat.

- injury history? Just the normal dents and beating over time from sports and life, but nothing significant.

- movement history? have you had a Functional Movement Screen? No, but feel my movements and flexibility is average, but my hips are a bit stiff, working on it. My chiropractor gives thumbs up for kettlebell training.

- sports/competition history? Have been active with various watersports and running/offroad biking, including some short periods with lifting weights.

The reason for picking up kettlebell training was a time I thought I was bulletproof from training with mostly machines in a fancy gym. A stone on the beach I wanted to deadlift taught me who was the boss. The newly acquired strength was unbalanced and non functional. From that day I searched for functional training and found the kettlebell.

Picked up the book RTK in 2009 and played with the kettlebell swings and TGU and practising pulls, snatches and cleans. Never got into the RoP, did mostly H2H swings, pulls and presses, but I liked it. Never got comfortable with my cleans, yet not tamed the arc.

My activity level has been a rollercoaster ride for most of my life and last year with the help of the book “clean program” by Dr. Junger M.D. my life was totally changed. I discovered I had allergies/intolerances for processed food, grains, milk and eggs; everything I found delicious was suddenly banned, but when forced, you find the alternatives and you will enjoy them fully - the benefits was massive improvements in both energy and clarity.

So my kettlebell practise has been inconsistent the last years, but this year I wanted to pick it up again as my diet is under control. Found the Simple & Sinister book in October and have read it multiple times. Have six weeks of consistent S&S training under my belt by now.

I want to thank @Lew and @Steve Freides . The former for repetitive teaching that a slow progress will make great progress and the latter for asking the forum if someone could explain how a “Tomahawk” TGU looks like. I subconsciously knew I did it.

As stated many times - the bell will show you who's the boss and the bell trashed my strong shoulder (opposed to the strongest shoulder) last weekend for shrugging my shoulder in the “to hand” section of the TGU. I believe the explanation of a “Tomahawk” TGU is explained in S&S in the Get-Up chapter in the section “The Kata of the Get-Up” where it explains if you can’t do it slow, but momentum is needed to finish each section.

I was considering before the incident to step up to 24 kg, now with a dent in my inflated ego and some shoulder pain, I made the decision to reduce to 12 kg and make slow TGU for the next months. Doing them slow seriously indicates my bottlenecks and my shoulder is already improving. It's good. My swing are at 16 kg with 7 sets, 4 of 10 reps are one-handed. Soreness reduced to a minimum the next morning at this stage.

My goal with S&S are to train the program minimum 5 times a week and do it until I reach the S&S simple goal, whenever that will happen.

With this post I want to thank the community for great discussions, introduce myself and my process and to announce my simple goal.

In addition to give a small push for a StrongFirst kettlebell course in Thailand. I have already communicated with SFG1 Myren Fu in Singapore and I will give him a visit when I’m in Singapore for a 1 to 1 class.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom