all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed newbie (female, 39) started s&s and looking for some pointers please

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Katekt

First Post
Hello all,

I hope this is ok to post here, I've read through a few threads and the info section and thought this might be the best place.

Basically:

I started following the s&s programme over a week ago with an 8kg (highest I currently have and getting a 12kg in the next couple of weeks). I follow the s&s routine every day. I also do 1 min 30 sec plank every day. sometimes do some pilates/yoga etc

A few weeks before I started I was able to travel to a kettlebell class and practice KB swings and my hip hinges etc and do Get ups with low weight with instructors to check my form.

I am able to do the 5 x 10 as one handed swings and the all the Get Ups with no wobbliness with the 8kg.

I'm wondering what other routines or moves, if any, would be recommended to add in to support increasing general fitness and weight loss, aside from simply progressing with the s& s routine?

I'm 39.
No medical conditions or injuries.
I'm 5ft 3 and just over 14st, but don't look it and much smaller in terms of physical size. it's just all compact :) but i want for health reasons to be fitter, stronger and slimmer than i am.. as optimally healthy as i can.

so i have a good few stones to lose at least. However it is the fat loss I'm more focused on as opposed to the scales. I recognise I have a lot of inches to lose around my waist and hips in particular.

I have always been strong, or sturdy and used to work outdoors but last few years have seen me pretty sedentary, still eating like i'm working outdoors.

I don't play any sport or take part in any competitions.

I have pared back my eating habits. Generally a fairly low carb plan with mostly clean eating as I usually cook from scratch.

Anything I do has to be based around home/garden environment (due to work, looking after children and living very rurally). I have my Kettlebells and a stationary exercise bike.

Would you recommend that I should be looking to incorporate another set of basic routines or a moves with Kettlebells?
or a different type of exercise entirely?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Kate

Hi Kate,

I lost all the fat I needed to lose doing s&s only. I did some walking and commuting to the office by bike in addition to it, but not much else. I would suggest you keep doing s&s, eating well and keeping an active lifestyle. If you live outside the city that might be easy. Give yourself 6 months and reassess.

How do you feel diet wise?

Hi Kate,

welcome! I am in the same boat as you, changing from much outdoor activity to a physical less demanding job and developed to much flab around the rips...

I would continue with S+S by the book, since it is all you need for a long time. For fat loss I would supplement it with long walks or slow runs afterwards. This will help with recovery and you will also note great effects in the recovery between sets and more endurance in your swings. Sometimes on bad weather days you can do continous two hand swings after your S+S session as a finisher but only if you feel fresh and only with good form. This will supplement your 1H-technique and also your cardio. I must repeat: Always stop immediately if you notice your form breaks apart!

Since implementing long distance walks and slow runs I had great effects on fat loss and also better progress in my S+S sessions.

Keep us updated and keep up the good work. :)

I have my Kettlebells and a stationary exercise bike.

Welcome, Kate! Sounds like you've started a good routine, so you could just enjoy the changes and see where it takes you. Keep getting the new kettlebells and keep moving up.

But since you mention the stationary bike, that is another good option to add once or twice a week. Fasted cardio seems to work particularly well for burning fat, so you can try can getting on it for 15-60 minutes in the morning before eating anything.

Thanks everyone, your replies are appreciated!

Anna C: I've come across some articles about interval or fartlek with cycling and the fat burning, so I think this could be a good option. Thanks.

Brookes: It took me a long time to notice I was still eating like I'm working outside :) Thanks for sharing about the long walks and slow runs. Definitely something I can incorporate.

Oscar: My diet is pretty good, but still 'too much'. My dad is mediterranean and I grew up with an approach of 'if it's not delicious then don't eat it' which means I've spent years eating things I always want 'more' of and generally do, the other half is British and loves stodge (carbs) :) However, I am paring back and actually finding it easier because I feel good all over and inside after the workout. The physical feeling is having such a positive knock on effect and i'm motivated to keep feeling like this and to reach those training milestones.
Thanks for the advice re continuing with swings.

Steve Friedes: Thankyou

Actually getting brave enough to join and post on here, and get the feedback has been really great. I actually feel part of something that resonates with me and I'm planning on processing on and on and on. It's hard to explain how much I'm finding freedom in feeling strong :)

It's hard to explain how much I'm finding freedom in feeling strong

I think many people here understand....

If you want to take the next step here, maybe consider starting a training log in one of the training log sections. You will get good feedback and support.

Welcome...

Welcome to Strongfirst.

I also eat "a lot" per sitting, so I just eat fewer meals. Two per day is enough, one is larger and includes more carbs.

@Katekt , I cast my vote for adding some flavor of long, slow, easy endurance work - walk, jog, bike, whatever you enjoy. Just let it be easy - S&S, done right, is plenty of conditioning.

But, you mentioned that you don't compete in anything - I'd suggest finding something to compete it. Don't have to be in it to win it - but to me, one of the best things about feeling strong is taking it out for a spin sometimes. Maybe that's a longer term goal, but keep it in mind.

Welcome @Katekt! You will get a lot of great guidance and ideas from the coaches and community at large. Keep a training log to track your progress. Something that helps me quite a bit is posting videos when I want feedback on form. Surf the forum, read the blog articles; there's tons of great info and support here.

I haven't done it in a while, but rowing is a really good option for fat burning with no impact on your joints. Dark Horse Rowing has some great resources on technique and some follow along workouts.

I agree with @WhatWouldHulkDo, but it goes a little further for me. I have to have a goal with a deadline. The only reason I started exercising was to do a Tough Mudder. It was something to do that was a challenge and tested my strength and overall fitness. It was a blast (except for the electric shocks at the end). If you set goals with deadlines, make them realistic and give yourself plenty of time to enjoy what you are training for. The rule of thumb I have for myself is set the goal twice as far out as I want or think it needs to be.

Some of the bigger nuggets of wisdom I've gained from being here is consistency and patience is key. Enjoy what you're doing, beating your body for short-term gains is not worth it, and strength has a greater purpose.

Btw, if you type an @ and then start to type a person's name, it will tag them so they will get an alert when you post.

Keep us updated!

@Ryan T Thanks for all the nuggets of advice in your reply, especially the bit about adding the @ :)

I'm definitely enjoying feeling myself grow in terms of being 'strong' so I feel a lot more settled inside and looking at the long term goals, fat loss is definitely a goal (it's needed at the very least to have a healthier frame) but actually I want to feel strong, fit and healthy all over and not just slim down . I shall also check out some rowing.

I know i've found something that really resonates with me when I was packing my car to drive up to the wilds of nowhere to visit relatives with my children and I was packing my 12kg and 8kg bells in my boot too and i've been getting up every morning before everyone else to do my routines!

I have had a think about setting a goal or entering something with a deadline, and thank you to you and @WhatWouldHulkDo but in all honesty that makes me feel panic inside and want to run and hide away under a rock. Lol. I'm actually pretty shy inside so the idea of doing something like that at the moment doesn't inspire me at all. I think i'm happy to plug away and once I reach my initial goals, i'll keep moving forward and then I think i'll feel brave enough to go for something like that.

@apa re the food definitely agrees with me to have 2 meals a day.

And i'm going to take all the advice and set up a training log too.

Thanks everyone !

Hello all,

I hope this is ok to post here, I've read through a few threads and the info section and thought this might be the best place.

Basically:

I started following the s&s programme over a week ago with an 8kg (highest I currently have and getting a 12kg in the next couple of weeks). I follow the s&s routine every day. I also do 1 min 30 sec plank every day. sometimes do some pilates/yoga etc

A few weeks before I started I was able to travel to a kettlebell class and practice KB swings and my hip hinges etc and do Get ups with low weight with instructors to check my form.

I am able to do the 5 x 10 as one handed swings and the all the Get Ups with no wobbliness with the 8kg.

I'm wondering what other routines or moves, if any, would be recommended to add in to support increasing general fitness and weight loss, aside from simply progressing with the s& s routine?

I'm 39.
No medical conditions or injuries.
I'm 5ft 3 and just over 14st, but don't look it and much smaller in terms of physical size. it's just all compact :) but i want for health reasons to be fitter, stronger and slimmer than i am.. as optimally healthy as i can.

so i have a good few stones to lose at least. However it is the fat loss I'm more focused on as opposed to the scales. I recognise I have a lot of inches to lose around my waist and hips in particular.

I have always been strong, or sturdy and used to work outdoors but last few years have seen me pretty sedentary, still eating like i'm working outdoors.

I don't play any sport or take part in any competitions.

I have pared back my eating habits. Generally a fairly low carb plan with mostly clean eating as I usually cook from scratch.

Anything I do has to be based around home/garden environment (due to work, looking after children and living very rurally). I have my Kettlebells and a stationary exercise bike.

Would you recommend that I should be looking to incorporate another set of basic routines or a moves with Kettlebells?
or a different type of exercise entirely?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Kate
S&S alone done according to the book covers everything you'll need in terms of exercise. It doesn't hurt to get out for a few walks every week though, and if you want to do some kettlebell presses over your head, these are not bad to do either. Deadlifts are never a bad thing - but you'll need more equipment to do them.

Basically, S&S does the trick. You need to give it time and dedication though to change your whole body. It has a cumulative effect. One day might feel a bit easy but as you up the weight you'll notice you'll up the gains too.

For down the road: maintaining your S&S with the "Simple" level weight is fine. I found "the hard way" that there is a reason the "Simple" goal is set where it's set! I'm a strong guy with a life of judo behind me and the "Simple" goal is maybe simple but not easy!

S&S grants athletic alertness, timing, balance and alertness too. These are things not so easily acquired through typical weight training regimens.

Hi Kate,

welcome! I am in the same boat as you, changing from much outdoor activity to a physical less demanding job and developed to much flab around the rips...

I would continue with S+S by the book, since it is all you need for a long time. For fat loss I would supplement it with long walks or slow runs afterwards. This will help with recovery and you will also note great effects in the recovery between sets and more endurance in your swings. Sometimes on bad weather days you can do continous two hand swings after your S+S session as a finisher but only if you feel fresh and only with good form. This will supplement your 1H-technique and also your cardio. I must repeat: Always stop immediately if you notice your form breaks apart!

Since implementing long distance walks and slow runs I had great effects on fat loss and also better progress in my S+S sessions.

Keep us updated and keep up the good work. :)
Wow! Excellent advice I think!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom