all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Newbie starting S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kvorion

First Post
Hi All,

I finished reading the S&S and ETK books, several other SF articles and watched YouTube videos on form etc to learn the swing and TGU. I want to start the S&S program and was wondering if I could learn from the experience of others who started training with kettlebells without a coach.

1. I am currently doing a calisthenics program 3-days a week (which will become 4-days in some time). I was considering starting the practice drills (from the S&S book) on my rest days. Question for people who started from absolute scratch - did you start with the deadlifts, then progress to the hike pass, then progress to the swings etc? How do you know which drills to do and how many reps/sets?

2. Did you start from the recommended KB weight? As an average gentleman, I am supposed to begin with the 16KG, but that seems a little intimidating.

3. I am curious why there is no 20KG weight mentioned anywhere in the program, and why the jump from 16 KG to 24 KG.

Apologies if those are too many questions and if this is not the right sub-forum.

-K

Welcome @kvorion

Hopefully you have the "Revised and Updated" version of S&S. See page 15 (you'll see my photo :) ) In the beginning, "Set aside 20 to 30 minutes and practice... Dedicate 10 to 15 minutes to swings and as many to get-ups. There are no weigh or rep goals to hit, only technical perfection."

So in the beginning, just practice. Do this for a few weeks. "Practice your swings in sets of 5 to 10 reps" "In the beginning, do only two-arm swings"... other tips there on pgs 16-17. "Once you feel competent in both drills, you are ready for the standard S&S regimen outline in part II."

So, during this practice, you an do deadlifts, hike pass, 2H swings in any rep scheme.... whatever helps you get the technique and improve it. Just put in your 15 minutes of swing practice.

You can do 16kg to start. Get your deadlift form down, move towards faster and more explosive deadlifts, and then you'll be ready for swings.

20kg is not necessary for progression. Big steps are fine. But if you have one, you can use it.

Good luck and enjoy!

Due to the fact the power for swings comes from your hips, 16kg becomes light before you realize it. For instance, when I carry my 32kg even 25 ft to get into position it wobbles me side to side, but swinging with it is much easier and is a feasible goal for an average male since I’m very average.

For swings, I believe this helped me: 1. Practicing hike pass and the first 1 or 2 reps. 2. Goblet squats. 3. Deadlifting the bell to improve core, upper back and post chain. Do you bridge and plank holds? Looking back, that may have helped
For get ups I was only comfortable with the press, so I did that only for awhile along with full movement using a 10 lb sledge. Alot.

wish I had spent more time with flexibility.

Don't get discourage if the learning curve is slow. For me it was awhile before I could get more than a couple swings at a time that were "right". Week 6 before things really clicked for me.

Be patient. Resist the temptation to progress too quick.

I’ve just returned to S&S after many side quests. It took me going back to basics and not pushing too quickly to really get my form dialled in and I’m still constantly tweaking parts of the moves to improve them. From what I found, Anna’s advice is sound. Spending time doing deadlifts, initially singles and then doing touch and go with weights heavier than I swing was a massive help to get the hinge and not squat. Doing the bridges well seems to have a massive carry over to the swings for me too, just make sure you do some reading on how to do them properly so your hips are doing the work instead of your lower back.

Welcome! I started as AnnaC describes above. It worked very well. I suggest that you do the same. As far as the starting weight is concerned, I started swings with 8kg (the KB we had) and it was way too light very soon. The 16kg arrived and that was fine for swings, both 1 and 2H. TGUs were very different for me. I started as PT suggests in S&S 2.0 with a shoe. A cup of water is the stylish way to go, but I don't like getting wet. When I was able to get up and back down with just the shoe without a drop, I set myself a goal of doing 100 "shoe" reps over 10 practice sessions without a drop before adding a real load. There is no weight that is light enough to drop on your face without consequences. I started loaded TGUs with the 8kg and progressed from 8 to 12 to 16 kgs. But then I got impatient and started mixing in a 20kg as directed based on my time with 16kg rather than mastery of the lift at that level. THAT WAS A MISTAKE. I have recurred to the 16 kg level and am resolved to stay there until each and every TGU with that load is formally perfect (so far as I can tell without adult supervision) making mastery the standard rather than time. I began on 1 April 2020 making up for a lifetime of neglect; I'm 62. The S&S scheme has not been smooth or easy for me, but it has worked miracles and I could not be happier because the transformation has been remarkable and gives every indication of being enduring. S&S after 18 4 week cycles is not exciting anymore but the increased strength and, ahem, aesthetics are exciting af. I look forward to every practice. I hope you will be able to say the same. Strength to you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom