all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Next Gym Purchase?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jd_wzrd

Level 2 Valued Member
Since I found Strongfirst I've embraced the minimalist lifestyle in regards to training. I haven't touched a barbell all year and I prefer it that way. So much so that I sold my squat stand and bar this weekend to my little brother. I want to continue to maintain a barebones style of training and focus on getting the most bang for my buck, in this case in the literal sense of the term.

As of now my gym consists of Bells, Gymnastic Rings, Steel Maces, Grip tools, an Echo Bike (cycling is my preferred cardio), 2 Plyo Boxes, and an axle. I've got plenty of space for more but again I don't just want to fill up space solely because it's there.

I'm considering a Yoke. I enjoy Yoke Walks and Zercher carries, and I think a loaded carry is a perfect exercise for useful strength. I kept my plates to use for my loading pins so I've got weight to use as well. What are your thoughts?

If you were to add a piece of equipment to your gym with a focus solely on function, what would you choose?

Attachments

• PXL_20210925_182729492.jpg
    PXL_20210925_182729492.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20210925_182720952.jpg
    PXL_20210925_182720952.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 44
I use my Yoke as a half rack with safety spotters, not as a minimalist piece of equipment and I have never even used it as a yoke but I'm still so glad I bought it for its versatility.

I thought about that too yeah haha. I regret not having gotten a yoke instead of a half rack originally. Dual purpose would have been more efficient

My space is not nearly as clean and useful as yours, but I love my yoke and use it daily. It holds my dip bars, has a thick bar (I usually keep it up high and use it for hanging), I use it for all my squats and presses, and when I do need to move it out of the way it only takes 1 minute to take the cross bar off and each side is around 50 pounds so it’s not too difficult to move to the side.

Once I continue to clear out my space I will likely use it for more strongman stuff in the future, but it has served me well so far.3A66ABC2-8950-44FD-87D7-728DB5EE8B77.jpeg

I came here to say this. AND the squat rack.

Buy what you want. If you've found stuff you love and will use, you're ahead of 99% of the people who just use equipment as filler or clothes racks.
Pretty much this.

I avoided getting a barbell and bumper plates ($$$) for the time being and am working on getting a full set of available double bells (available in Thailand 36kg is the max), but there is something to be said for a loadable barbell for deadlifts and O-lifts even if you don’t have a rack or bench. And once I’ve exhausted the progress on double bells, I’m going to start working on building a full set of bumper plates and bar up to my 1RM for deadlift (moving target hopefully)

Pretty much this.

I avoided getting a barbell and bumper plates ($$$) for the time being and am working on getting a full set of available double bells (available in Thailand 36kg is the max), but there is something to be said for a loadable barbell for deadlifts and O-lifts even if you don’t have a rack or bench. And once I’ve exhausted the progress on double bells, I’m going to start working on building a full set of bumper plates and bar up to my 1RM for deadlift (moving target hopefully)
In the past year, bumpers are about 250% more expensive but iron can still be found at around $1.25/lb here in California. I was watching bumpers daily during Covid but they have gotten so ridiculously expensive I gave up and went with iron. For deadlifts, I’m not sure I would know the difference.

In the past year, bumpers are about 250% more expensive but iron can still be found at around $1.25/lb here in California. I was watching bumpers daily during Covid but they have gotten so ridiculously expensive I gave up and went with iron. For deadlifts, I’m not sure I would know the difference.
Oh yeah, I just want to be able to do o-lifts like cleans and snatches and if I fail with them I don’t want to smash up my patio or living room.

The yolk sounds like a good idea. My go to piece of kit is a set of parallettes. I never work out with them I just "play" with them a few times a day. They reside in the living room & the whole family uses them several times a day for pushups, handtand pushups, pseudo planches & L sits etc. We don't work out here, we just have fun and do limited reps of semi advanced movement several times a day.

UPDATE: I bought a Yoke.

It came over the weekend and I did some light walks with it just to get the feel for it again. Haven't used one since my strongman days and I'm excited to get back to it.

Training is still S&S until I reach Simple but then I'm moving on to RoP and I plan to do some yoke walks and Zercher carries on my Variety days. I feel like the full body effort a yoke takes is really gonna work my mid-section and make me a more useful Human. Appreciate everyone's opinions and even though I'm not getting a bar again I have a few new items to think about.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom