all posts post new thread

Barbell Next Program Suggestions.....

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Carl in Dover

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey Y'all,
I'll be doing my Coan week 10 training tomorrow (last week) and my goal when I started was a 350# deadlift. Well I've already exceeded that at the Iron Gobbler in NJ with a 352# (160kg) lift. (New Delaware State Raw Record Lifting Database )
Attached is my traing log from week 9.

The USA Powerlifting Delaware State Championship is coming up April 8th, 2018, so I've got about 4 months to prep. Would be rather pleased to pull 375# +.

So as a 63yr old 212# (R-M3a -105kg) , what suggestions would you have for my next training program?
I did 5×5 Stronglift for 3 months before starting the
Coan program. I did well on the Coan program (did week 3 four times before I made it through!), so I'm tempted to continue it except I've read that it may be too hard on the system. Planning on more rowing, farmers walks, kettlebell etc. but looking to keep a solid Powerlifting plan going.

Open to ideas and thoughts......

Attachments

• 20171130_044311.jpg
    20171130_044311.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 25
  • doc (5).pdf
    663 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If the Coan program you're on works for you it's not a bad idea to continue doing it. I can understand that you've read that it may be too hard on the system, but do you feel like it is? It is an individual matter.

You have plenty of time until April. You can do a lot of programs in that time. If I were in your shoes, I'd make sure I did a basic volume cycle at 70%-85% 1RM with lots of sets of five, and closer to the competition, a proper peaking cycle.

Badass PR.

On assistance exercises, Ed Coan has a video here that might interest you:

The grip/ab exercise at 8:40 worked great for me.
---

George Leeman's, all-american deadlift record holder, has also some interesting assistance exercises:

---

Kroc Rows are also very interesting

---

If the Coan program you're on works for you it's not a bad idea to continue doing it. I can understand that you've read that it may be too hard on the system, but do you feel like it is? It is an individual matter.

I agree with @Antti, but since I can't walk in your shoes age-wise, I recommend considering a sleeping program too.
There is no overtraining, there is only under-recovery
gets tossed around a lot.
I am not sure how true that is, but focusing on the recovery aspect is just as important imo.

Something I do is track grip strength daily, either with CoC grippers, or pull-up bar holds, etc.
And the same with sleep quality, sleep wake/down times, etc.
The correlation is astounding.

More shocking, was realizing how bad the quality of sleep was on a consistent basis.

I recommend "The Sleep Solution"
https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Solution-Why-Your-Broken/dp/0399583602

Also interesting and much shorter is "Sleep Hacks" which is free. Unfortunately the original website disappeared a few years ago.
But some copies are still online.
http://www.mindpowernews.com/SleepHacks.pdf

HTH

If the Coan program is working for you, why change? If Recovery was an issue, consider inserting a few more deload days. For example, if it is a 12 week program, make it a 15 week program and insert a few deload weeks where you lift very light weights and focus on technique. Or if you don't think you need the deload days, do the program as-is (but I would always prefer to be undertrained vs overtrained).

When I'm doing "power lifting training", I deload every 3rd week and do singles at 50%. Now you can't just copy what works for me, you need to find what works for you. If the Coan program has been working for you, then start with that blueprint and tweak it to optimise it for you (I.e., add a recovery day or find an assistance exercises that hits your unique weak point or whatever). Just be careful not to tweak the program so much that you are not doing the program anymore.

Thanks everyone. I definatley need to work on diet and sleep.

@manuelp22 good vids...will definatley try some Kroc rows

@Antti ....what you suggested is what I'm looking for. I feel that the Coan 10 week does not have sufficient volume.
@william bad butt ...i understand. I had thought of doubling the program, week 1 twice, then week 2 twice , etc.

You can have a program designed for you by Strongfirst following the Plan Strong model as well, just to throw that one out there. If you want to change up your program, why not have one made specifically for you by the best in the biz?

Nice work by the way! keep up the strong work

Matt

@King Cobra Fit ........thanks Matt. I have seriously considered the Plan Strong program. I have read the info and faq's several times, even put it in the cart twice, but I have some general questions I have yet to ask... maybe you could steer me in the right direction?
Is it an ongoing program, or a specific amount of weeks?
Is it for general strength increase, or can I set a target or goal? ( want to increase my deadlift by xx kg in xx weeks)
What sort of style program is it? ( light weight lots of volume moving towards heavy weight low volume, or what?)
Is there a way to get feedback or comments on my progress? ( email, phone, etc?)

I even searched for a SFL in my area, but none close.
Thanks!
Carl in Dover

@Carl in Dover, I may be able to answer a few of those based on my experience so far with a Plan Strong program. I am finishing week 5.

The one I have is for 8 weeks. Not sure if that is fixed for all.
It is a strength increase based on current 1RM. I test new 1RM at the conclusion of the 8 weeks.
It is variable in both volume and weight. Plan Strong methodology decouples the variation of weight and volume.
Support by email is available if you have questions beyond the FAQs; by email to Fabio Zonin (or others?).

I think from what I've seen if you purchased a plan you would be able to execute it on your own.

@Steve Freides that would be highly appreciated.
I add a question.
Is the program repeatable? Meaning can I get e.g. a Deadlift routine, do it, take a week off and then run it again or come back months or years later with a different 1RM and still run it?
Would I get different programs if my 1RM is 150Kg or 200Kg?

Take a look here:

From Simple to Sinister: Waving Volume on S&S

and you'll have some idea of PlanStrong - instead of 25% of the load each week, for 4 weeks, you do 15% one week, 35% another week, and split the difference with weeks of 20 and 30% for the other two. Now apply this same kind of thinking to the weights you use, this time using numbers culled from research into successful programs that give you guidelines for what percentage of volume ought to be used at with various weights, and guidance on how to structure rep counts for each intensity of weight, and now you have some idea of how the system works.

A PlanStrong program could be repeated but this is not our recommendation. Better is to apply the PlanStrong principles to come up with different things each cycle. The 8 weeks @Anna C mentions is a standard application of the principles, with the option to test at the end for a new max. One can, as Pavel has done with swings in the above-linked blog, also structure a 12-week program.

A PlanStrong program will start with your current max, ask you important questions, and give you something to help you achieve a new max in 8 weeks time if all goes well.

There is a goodly amount of math involved, but it's not all math - rather, you look at the math and then adjust as needed, if needed, based on your experience as coach and a lifter.

I hope this helps. I'm far from expert in this, my double attendance at the workshop not withstanding. It takes practice and I haven't practiced much.

-S-

If I may ask an additional question of the Plan Strong programs, it strikes me that I've always read about the program preparing for a new max. Are they all peaking programs? Is a longer volume based base cycle offered?

UPDATE: I have received my personalized Plan Strong training plan and completed a few sessions! I am going to start a new thread in the training section to document my journey if anyone's interested.
Of course, due to the highly personalized information in the plan I will only be discussing general information and how the plan is working for me, how I feel etc.
Please feel welcome to ask any questions there.

Carl in Dover

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom