all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Next round of kettlebell A+A swings: research subject call

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Al, thank you for the protocol. I'm in!

two questions:
- test run: running "all out" or capped HR (180-age)?
- swings: HR is not my guideline, right? I can exceed the MAF-Formula? Would you recommend a certain number or percentage?

Thank you!

Christian,

If you attempt to run all out for 10min, you will find that by minute 2-4, you are walking. On the other side of the spectrum, if you run at your aerobic HR, it is too short of a test to draw any conclusions from.

Run the 10min test at a pretty good clip, in the same way you would approach the 10min snatch test as compared to the 5min version.

Swings are performed to the clock, not to your HR, but yes, you can track HR for additional data.

Thanks.

@aciampa If i am using a heartrate monitor, would you like average heartrate over each training session or would you like it recorded at 1/3, 2/3 and end?

Thanks
Matt

Unfortunately for you, if you would like to provide HR data, I will need every pre- and post-set readings, as you have seen reported elsewhere here. Welcome to my madness ;]

Last edited:
I did my 10 min snatch test pre-test today. I would highly recommend the "or lighter" part of "10min snatch test with your snatch-sized bell or lighter." It seems much more of aerobic condition test without muscular fatigue getting in the way.

The Protocol is on the wall in my home right now. Looks great (of course) and i'm going to do my conditioning test in next sunday. That means i am going to start the Protocol in monday. It will be fun.

I did my 10 min snatch test pre-test today. I would highly recommend the "or lighter" part of "10min snatch test with your snatch-sized bell or lighter." It seems much more of aerobic condition test without muscular fatigue getting in the way.

Anna - you planning on doing the run as well - do you think a rest day between the two tests would be advised?

Karl I'm intending to do the run this morning because I don't feel like the test yesterday taxed me to the point where it will interfere with the results, though I may know if I don't feel "right" when I run. If that's the case, I'll do it again sometime between now and Monday. My HRV score says I'm good this morning.

Here's my HR graph for the 12kg snatch test (215 reps) Garmin Connect and there is a link in the comments to a video.
Interesting comparison, HR graph for a 16kg 10-min snatch (127 reps) Garmin Connect and also a link to a video... in this one, I actually wasn't trying to do as many reps as possible, I was just trying to keep the bell up for 10 minutes with the snatch-test size, and keep my HR as low as possible. My HR is actually about the same in both cases! I'd say overall the 12kg event was "easier," or at least less taxing to my system overall.

@Anna C
Love dodgy GPS technology. Looks like you lost 120 ft of elevation in the course of your 16 kg test - that's a heavy bell! Or maybe Mississippi is sinking?

As for going lighter....I'll have to see how I feel, have never done a 10 minute test, just the thought of 10 minutes snatching with a 24 kg makes me feel slightly nauseous. 20 kg might be a safer way to go for me.

I'll see if I can figure out how to post HR data off my polar - I'm pretty sure I'll max out on snatch test.

I have a question. It may be stupid or obvious but I need to be sure before I start training. After 5 reps on one hand I rest till full minute and then do another 5 reps on the other hand and that is 10 reps, right?

@mikhael start a clock, and do 5 x swings with one arm. Rest the remainder of the minute. At the top of the next minute, do 5 x swings with your other arm. Rest the remainder of the minute. Continue to repeat this until your have reached the duration prescribed in the chart for that particular session.

Folks,

There has been a private forum set up for your questions, sessions reports, and comments. If you posted to this thread already, I put your name in for permission. Once you are approved, you will see the forum at the top of the page after you click into the "Kettlebell" forum. Wait a day or two to be added, as an actual human has to add your name.

If you are participating in this protocol, and would like to discuss it on this forum, please ask here, and we will grant you access. We need your SF screenname to add you, so please do not email me asking for permission.

Thanks for your support.

... puts on SuperAdministrator shirt ...

Wait a day or two to be added, as an actual human has to add your name.

... makes "proud chest" posture and says ...

"This is all done!"

Seriously, if you aren't seeing the new group and think you should be, please PM me and Al together. Ditto if you see it but you feel you were added in error.

-S-

Is it too late to get into the A+A protocol? Just saw this, I've been out sitting in a tree the last three weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom