all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB "Nice to haves"

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey everyone,

My company gives us an annual fitness reimbursement of up to $150 to buy health & fitness related items. I've been trying to decide what to go with for mine. I have a very nice collection of kettlebells and resistance bands, parallettes, and rings but I'm having a hard time considering what to go with. What are some items that you have for home use that you would consider "nice to have"?

Thanks all,

A barbell set - for obvious reasons.
A plyobox (3 heights, 20+24+30inch sides) - for step-ups, occasional box jumps and as a tool to progress to OAPUs and pistols
A sled or prowler - if you like that kind of conditioning
Macebells or clubbells/indian clubs
Grip tools - CoC grippers, pinch blocks, wrist roller etc.

a good sturdy pullup bar (in case you can't do pullups from rings)
a barbell set?

sandbags
a good rucksack

if that's your thing, an activity tracker/gps watch

A big pile of wood and an axe.

What's so special about cutting wood? I've done a lot of it in my past, and soon about to start doing lots of it again. I've always thought of it as pleasant recreation. Can't really think of it as exercise.

I just love it. A day of chopping wood is a fine day.
Yeah, it's not really exercise.....or is it? I get zoned out and focus on technique of the swing, both handed and can spend the day at it. Or just a couple of hours. Probably because I'm new to it, to be fair. Certainly don't view it as a chore, far from it, I look forward to spending a day when I can. 2 weeks ago I spent a couple hours carrying a load of logs of different sizes and awkwardness. Chain sawed them, followed by 5/6 hours chopping them with adequate rests and tea breaks in the autumn sunshine. Pile of good food in the evening, a glass of red by a cosy fire later. A fine day.

I'm with Antti, a nice sandbag. Can be used many ways.
1. Put across your shoulders and squat
2. Clean it and do front squats.
3. Clean it and do presses.
4. Put it on your shoulders and take a hike!
Oh...the list goes on and on. Use you imagination.
One of my favorites is my 50# bag across my shoulders and do 100 step ups onto my plyo box..alternating leading leg.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm leaning towards the following:

3-height plyo box (primarily for pistol stuff)
weight vest (would probably get one that can be loaded to 45-60 lbs, I guess?)
sandbag (need to do some research on what size to get, leaning toward the Brute Force heavy hitter I)

Re: cutting wood... LOL I split so much wood for my dad growing up, I'm thinking about getting a sledge hammer to use as a poor man's macebell, since why not?

I would love a barbell set & prowler, but I don't really have room for either.

@ali Wood is certainly a chore, when you need nine cord stowed to get you through a long cold winter. Get a hydraulic log splitter, especially when you consider how many times you handle a piece of wood from tree in the forest to ash in your stove. I went home on vacation and what did I do for two weeks. Get wood. Growing up I thought my name was Get Wood. Morning, and after school those were the first words I heard.

As a teen my dad would be gone for days at a time, left the oil furnace set at 58° and if we (I) wanted it warmer had to fire up the basement wood furnace that shared the oil furnace plenum. Lived on an old farm, so we dismantled the chicken coops and burned those along with any trees that needed felling, heaps of ancient cedar shake in one of the outbuildings for kindling.

A serious feeling of accomplishment when you get a three story farmhouse to 75° on a 15 degree night using wood - the firebox was probably 4 foot deep. And all that wood had to be pulled apart and cut down to fit in the box.

Cutting splitting and stacking is not so hard unless the clock says otherwise. In a cold weather crush you'll be steaming from your sleeves.

I've found that doing get ups with an 8lb shot put is wonderful mobility work.

an 8lb shot put will run you about $20 and last you a lifetime

I'm guessing you already have indian clubs and some jump rope

yoga blocks are also very useful for lots of things and can go with you almost anywhere easily

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom