all posts post new thread

Kettlebell No deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Simply strong

Level 4 Valued Member
I finally read the article about not deadlifting but doing the Olympic lifts, shrugs and good mornings instead.

Could you have similar results with swings/snatches, farmers carries and barbell hip thrusts?

I can’t find the article but it basically stated that the deadlift requires longer recovery time so training the squat and bench along with heavy shrugs, good mornings and the Olympic lifts is a more sustainable plan as it will allow you to train harder more frequently without the longer recovery times.

My question essentially was with what other exercises this could be achieved?

@Simply strong, the short answer is, "It depends." If you squat in the powerlifter style, low bar, hip hinge, then you're essentially practicing a deadlift with the bar on your back and there will be, for most people, a lot of carryover.

What it is that you wish to accomplish? Let's start there.

-S-

Which article do you mean? Could you provide a link?
I can’t find the article but it basically stated that the deadlift requires longer recovery time so training the squat and bench along with heavy shrugs, good mornings and the Olympic lifts is a more sustainable plan as it will allow you to train harder more frequently without the longer recovery times.

My question essentially was with what other exercises this could be achieved?
I think the article he's referring to is a couple of posts down in this thread. Written by our own @kennycro@@aol.com .

Regarding the original question swings will help to a point, as will carries. But the carries would have to be heavy, close to the same load as the deadlift. I can't comment on the hip thrust.

As a whole there are plenty of exercises with carryover to the deadlift. Swings, cleans, snatches, squats, box squats, good mornings, Romanian deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, block pulls, bent over rows, shrugs, jumps etc

As a whole there are plenty of exercises with carryover to the deadlift. Swings, cleans, snatches, squats, box squats, good mornings, Romanian deadlifts, stiff leg deadlifts, deficit deadlifts, block pulls, bent over rows, shrugs, jumps etc
Also Zercher Squats, especially when done more Back Squat style than Front Squat style, as I have been told.

Here are to articles by Pavel worth reading:

And here is a plan that features both.

Also Zercher Squats, especially when done more Back Squat style than Front Squat style, as I have been told.

Here are to articles by Pavel worth reading:

And here is a plan that features both.

Sure, the zercher is a great variation and something of a favourite of mine, though I try to keep it a squat instead of a good morning.

It all depends on what exercise hits the weakness at the right time and the strength at the right time. A question of periodization and coaching.

What it is that you wish to accomplish? Let's start there.

My main goal this year is to get stronger for sport. I do love deadlifts, however I’m not a powerlifter and ultimately don’t care about my deadlift, rather the adaptations from training it. If I can get the same adaptations with less recovery needed this will leave me with more energy to train in sport specific sessions and will be a better plan for me.

Unfortunately low bar squats hurt my shoulders; I much prefer the high bar and Zercher squat.

My main goal this year is to get stronger for sport. I do love deadlifts, however I’m not a powerlifter and ultimately don’t care about my deadlift, rather the adaptations from training it. If I can get the same adaptations with less recovery needed this will leave me with more energy to train in sport specific sessions and will be a better plan for me.

Unfortunately low bar squats hurt my shoulders; I much prefer the high bar and Zercher squat.
Nothing has the carryover for me like the barbell deadlift.

But how about S&S? Many people find that the sweet spot for training strength-and-conditioning with good carryover and without taking away from their sport.

-S-

Nothing has the carryover for me like the barbell deadlift.

But how about S&S? Many people find that the sweet spot for training strength-and-conditioning with good carryover and without taking away from their sport.

-S-

I have tried S&S and have achieved simple. Though I’m thinking that I need more maximum strength increases as my sports training contains lots of conditioning work (especially in the lead up to competition).

Would you say it’s worth going toward sinister or focusing more on the barbell as I initially planned?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom