all posts post new thread

Bodyweight No direct leg training on rings program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I have seen girls practicing calisthenics on YouTube with beautiful bodies: strong but-not-big upper body and strong, well shaped legs and butt. Of course I don't know their exact routines, but anyway it is a bit surprising to me. I would have expected bigger upper bodies and less developed butt and legs.

Add some deadlifts or swings, or low rep squats (any type), and you are good to go.

@Oscar those girls almost always include something of the following list squats, pistols, lunges, step-ups, various jumps and sprints.
It may not be the best for absolute strength, but something like 5x25 squats 3-4x per week will leave a girl with a good looking lower body if they're not one of the poor gals with bad genetics.
I think we all know a good amount of girls/women with great, toned bodys that never ever touched a weight or went on a dedicated calisthenics routine.
A little bit of running and unstructured visits to the gym plus a couple of zumba and "butt, abs, legs" courses and they look fantastic.
I played soccer for almost my entire youth and we had guys that looked like Abercrombie & Fitch models just by playing soccer.
On the flipside I sometimes see female powerlifters or female athletes at the olympics (that clearly lift weights for their sport) with flat butts, despite all the squats and DLs they do.
Most of it is genetics.

Add some deadlifts or swings, or low rep squats (any type), and you are good to go.

Do you think gtg with pistols on the off days would be a good choice for leg strength on this upper body rings program?

Do not want to tax my recovery further

As far as I remember rings 1 has leg work. Unless it has been changed, there are pistols, single leg deadlifts, leg raises, l-sits. Not the focus certainly but they're there, supported if needed for pistols and single leg balance drills. Its a very well balanced programme....for rings. Take it for a spin as is for 12 weeks and evaluate then.

@Kettlebelephant yes, that can be the case. Maybe what calisthenics accomplishes in these cases is to have low body fat and good muscle tone, so whoever looked good before will look good or even better after.

What I have heard they offer a pretty decent programme!
I do not want to contradict the trainer, but somehow I need to:
In my experience rings are/ could be challenging for grip strength like swings are (depending on how heavy you go, of course). Because of this I would take rest days for forearms/hands/grip as rest days! Of course he says that their programme works legs - what else should he say when trying to sell sth?
I would do other exercises when you want to improve leg strength.
IMHO ;)

I think you're right elli!

I had no idea ring training was so taxing on the grip, but that is actually where I am the most sore.. in my hands, fingers, and forearms..

I think you cannot go wrong with @Pavel Macek 's advice.
But honestly, I think you would not do any wrong if you wouldn't add anything at all.
If you have a solid program (like the stuff from SF or GMB) and just follow it to a T without modifying/adding anything you are good to go!

I think you cannot go wrong with @Pavel Macek 's advice.
But honestly, I think you would not do any wrong if you wouldn't add anything at all.
If you have a solid program (like the stuff from SF or GMB) and just follow it to a T without modifying/adding anything you are good to go!

Marc I have been running the program without adding anything for a week now. You're correct. It is a complete program needing nothing to be added.

The leg module that comes with R1 is dope by the way!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom