all posts post new thread

Old Forum "No Distractions" Program Results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TravisJaneway

First Post
First off, I would like to say thank you to everyone @ StrongFirst for the work you are doing! It is appreciated.

Male, 192#, 5'11", 34 years. I followed the "No Distractions" strength program for 6 weeks and here are the results. Note: following a program of any kind, especially with out distractions is unusual for me. My improvements over the 6-7 weeks have changed that:

KB double KB press week 1: ladders up to 3 @ 24kg (x2)
KB double KB press week 6: ladders up to 5 @ 26kg (x2)
Max Barbell Press week 7: 160# (a 5lb PR first pr in 2.5 years)

Pull-ups  week 1: ladders up to 3 @ 24kg
Pull-ups week 6: ladders up to 5 @ 26 kg
Max Pull-up week 7: 106lbs (much lower than PR and now have tennis elbow on the left.)

Zercher Squats week 1: 3 x 225# & 5 x 205#
Zercher Squats week 6: 3 x 285# & 5 @ 265#
Max Zercher Squat week 7: 315# (easy)

Kept heavy swings @ 48 kg and explosive swings @ 26kg for 6 weeks
Max deadlift week 7: 435# (20# under PR from 2.5 years ago. HOWEVER, I have not trained the deadlift AT ALL and have not pulled a heavy dead in at least 8 months! I could have pulled over 435 but was happy with the number.)

All in all, I feel much stronger than I have in years. I wish I had taken some metrics before I began the program, but there is no way I could have put up these numbers 2 months ago. I think the volume on the pull-up was too much for me with about 120-180 weighted pull-up per week. Has anyone had similar issues?

With kettlebell training a given, I am going to make a few tweeks to the ND program and add in Bench Press, occasional deadlift, various bodyweight pull-ups and rows with low volume and see where my numbers are in another 6-8 weeks. I intend to be able to preform freestanding bodyweight push-ups and set powerlifting PRs this year!
Thank you Pavel & StrongFirst!
-Travis Janeway

Impressive results! Did you do the same type of ladders on both ladder days, or did you change the ladder style/weight from time to time?

Thanks!

I was super strict the first 3 weeks then I changed my grip from double overhand  to underhand on the problem side and the pain was manageable.   Pull-press workout 1 was otherwise very strict and linear.

45min alternating press/pull
w1: 1,2,3 @ 24kg
w2: 1,2,3,4 @ 24kg
w3: 1,2,3,4,5 @ 24kg
w4: 1,2,3 @ 26kg
w5: 1,2,3,4 @ 26kg
w6: 1,2,3,4,5 @ 26kg

On Pull-press workout 2, I switched from KB press ladders (@ w3 or 4) to negative Handstand push-ups on parallel bars which morphed from ladders to slow singles. For example  1 x 10-15 second negative then 3 weighted pull-ups on parallel rock rings for 25 minutes (about the time my arms gave out).

Well done, Travis!

Have your elbows looked at.

In the future, if you test a lift without training it (DL in this case), run a mini-peak of 3 weeks. On week 1 work up to an easy single, week 2 a moderately hard one, week 3 a heavy one.

Thanks Pavel!

Upping my press was my biggest accomplishment and your work was instrumental in that. A bodyweight press is in my sights! I am adding the close grip bench press + CP into my program per your article.

Thanks again!
-Travis Janeway

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting! Am using this template for a similar type of program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom