all posts post new thread

Off-Topic No Goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

erwin

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi guys,

I have a little problem... Since I can rember I have always had a reason or a goal to workout, but in the last years I have lost them.

So I gained weight and got weak. About a couple of months ago I decided to change that and I have build up my strength again (and a little endurance). But I am still fat, too weak and I have low endurance.

I know that I obviously have to change something, at least for my health.

But I think, my head/body thinks, that it doesnt have no reason for it. I feel healthy, I have a girlfriend that finds me attractive, I dont need strength or endurance in my regular life, so it doesnt mind me...
And therefore I have to find I reason to change, but I dont find one.

Did something similary happened to someone of you or does somebody have some tipps for me?

All the best

Erwin

Same thing happened to me so I quit my job and pursued a different one that has a need for fitness.

I think competing in something provides a guiding light well too. Maybe that's a martial art, powerlifting, the TSC, triathlons, etc but the competitive spirit is much more powerful than just a hobby.

Of course moving to a bad neighborhood might work too.

I know that I obviously have to change something, at least for my health....

...I feel healthy...

Well, which is it? Also, you could lose your health, girlfriend, or the livelihood that allows you to not expend any strenuous effort at a moment's notice. What will you do if that happens?

Well, which is it? Also, you could lose your health, girlfriend, or the livelihood that allows you to not expend any strenuous effort at a moment's notice. What will you do if that happens?

I say, steady on old boy. I don't think fear is an amazing motivator. Physical exercise is a stressor on its own without worrying about your life falling to pieces because you weren't 'strong enough'.

@erwin Did you used to enjoy working out or was it something you always did because you felt you 'needed' to? Finding a pursuit that you enjoy or, at least, one that challenges you in a stimulating way is a good step towards getting your motivation back. If you can find a way to enjoy the process, you won't find yourself chasing 'outcomes' and strength and health will sneak up on you.

Do you engage in any competitive sports? Maybe it's time to give that a try if you haven't already.

I've been in shape and I've been out of shape and being in shape is about a million times better.

When I'm in shape I just have more sense of adventure and I don't worry as much about whether I'll hurt myself or if I can handle something. Add that to concerns about maintaining my health and, for me, that's motivation enough.

I say, steady on old boy. I don't think fear is an amazing motivator. Physical exercise is a stressor on its own without worrying about your life falling to pieces because you weren't 'strong enough'.

I wasn't suggesting cause-and-effect. The poster said that they don't see a reason to change because things are good enough as they are at the moment. I'm just warning against complacency.

I've had many periods of low motivation, when I've responded by making participation rather than achievement the goal. I just say I am going to the gym, say, once or twice weekly, and provided I turn up I can then do whatever, including leaving immediately for home. Of course once I'm there I almost always then decide to do something. Eventually, in its own time, the motivation to achieve kicks back in and I end up with a program. Just go with it!

Hi guys,

I have a little problem... Since I can rember I have always had a reason or a goal to workout, but in the last years I have lost them.

So I gained weight and got weak. About a couple of months ago I decided to change that and I have build up my strength again (and a little endurance). But I am still fat, too weak and I have low endurance.

I know that I obviously have to change something, at least for my health.

But I think, my head/body thinks, that it doesnt have no reason for it. I feel healthy, I have a girlfriend that finds me attractive, I dont need strength or endurance in my regular life, so it doesnt mind me...
And therefore I have to find I reason to change, but I dont find one.

Did something similary happened to someone of you or does somebody have some tipps for me?

All the best

Erwin
Erwin, Will you please state what your previous goal or reason was to workout in the past? You said you lost them. It might help SF members to know what that was. It might also help you to state in writing what they were. Seems like we(and you) are missing some information. Thx.

Pat Mac’s reasons for training:
1- health & longevity, live longer move better feel better.
2- save your own life, might be getting in trouble swimming escape burning building etc
3- be Batman, save someone else’s life. Be able to pull/carry a person to safety, help someone in trouble in water etc.
4- kick someone’s arse, defend yourself your family friends or just a stranger.

Same thing happened to me so I quit my job and pursued a different one that has a need for fitness.

I think competing in something provides a guiding light well too. Maybe that's a martial art, powerlifting, the TSC, triathlons, etc but the competitive spirit is much more powerful than just a hobby.

Competition seems often to bee a motivation here. But first I think I am not the competitive typ and also I dont know at what competition I am interessed in. Maybe I should search a little bit.

Sorry I think I misspoke, english is not my first native language.
I am feeling healthy YET, but in the future there will be problems, if I am going on without changing.
If your scenario would happen, I would probably change, because I have to.

@erwin Did you used to enjoy working out or was it something you always did because you felt you 'needed' to? Finding a pursuit that you enjoy or, at least, one that challenges you in a stimulating way is a good step towards getting your motivation back. If you can find a way to enjoy the process, you won't find yourself chasing 'outcomes' and strength and health will sneak up on you.

Do you engage in any competitive sports? Maybe it's time to give that a try if you haven't already.

There were times I enjoyed it and there were times I just did it because I had to (to achive something).
I think my problem is, that I have always been thinking, that I have to achive something (get more weights on, run faster than the last time...). But if I dont think so, most of the time I didnt improved. So how do change this?

I dont do competitive sports.

I've been in shape and I've been out of shape and being in shape is about a million times better.

When I'm in shape I just have more sense of adventure and I don't worry as much about whether I'll hurt myself or if I can handle something. Add that to concerns about maintaining my health and, for me, that's motivation enough.

Hm I know that, but it doesnt motivate me.

I think that you should find a way to exercise that you actually enjoy. So that you do it as an end in itself, without any extrinsic goals. Getting healthier and fitter etc. is just a bonus, though a welcome one.

I tried this, but every time I did this, I didnt realy improve and then I felt bad, because I didnt achieve anything.

I've had many periods of low motivation, when I've responded by making participation rather than achievement the goal. I just say I am going to the gym, say, once or twice weekly, and provided I turn up I can then do whatever, including leaving immediately for home. Of course once I'm there I almost always then decide to do something. Eventually, in its own time, the motivation to achieve kicks back in and I end up with a program. Just go with it!

Tried this also, but for me, I did less and less workout. Till I quited.

Erwin, Will you please state what your previous goal or reason was to workout in the past? You said you lost them. It might help SF members to know what that was. It might also help you to state in writing what they were. Seems like we(and you) are missing some information. Thx.

My first goal to workout was to get better in sports in school, then I did it to pass the entrance examination of a school. When I was 18 or so, I wanted to be muscular to impress girls (man I was silly^^). After this I wanted to join military and I trained for it, got accepted but I didnt joined it, because my mind changed and I had an other view on the world. And since that happend, I didnt find a goal or a reason to workout. Till I decided last autumn to workout agian and get stronger and leaner. But the motivation didnt last long.

When I was 18 or so, I wanted to be muscular to impress girls (man I was silly^^).
Not silly. A weak friend doesn't offer as much benefit as the same but stronger friend. A weaker mate isn't as good as the same but stronger mate.

Strength offers tangible benefits to others as well as more confidence to ourselves. Those traits are attractive in others for a reason.

Being strong is not about doing a specific program every time you want to exercise, strong is a mindset. The mindset of strength is not doing what you want all the time or even enjoy doing it, it is about doing the necessary tasks to maintain health and vigor so you can accomplish any task in life. In your training you should just do something. Do 100 swings and move about your day if you don't feel "motivated" in your day. if you feel good or want to do more in your session then go for it but don't think you have to be on a specific program to be strong. You just have to have the mindset of strength and it will carry you even when you don't want to. We have all had ups and downs in our own training but what makes our community so great is the mindset of strength. So go lift something and enjoy the mindset.

I've found that I can't always depend on motivation. Sometimes I just do something because I know there's a good reason for it. Like brushing my teeth or taking a shower or going to bed at a certain time. I'm not motivated to do those things but I know should. Exercise is the same way. Quite often I'd be happy to skip it but I know there's good reasons for it.

I think my problem is, that I have al ways been thinking, that I have to achive something (get more weights on, run faster than the last time...). But if I dont think so, most of the time I didnt improved. So how do change this?

Don't be so focused on making improvements. Even elite athletes have to 'train to maintain' or even take it easy/back off for a while to ensure they're able to recover after a competition.

Set yourself process goals, for example: Your goal could be to spend at least two hours a week doing some form of resistance training. It doesn't matter if you're not chasing heavier weights or noticeable muscular/strength gains, as long as you're putting in the time.

It could be two hour-long sessions a week, four 30 minute sessions, however you want to break it up, just put in the work. Exercise choice is entirely up to you. Some days will be harder, some days will be easier, but all you need to do is keep working until the timer runs out.

It's entirely up to you, of course. These are just suggestions. You know you need to be doing something or else you wouldn't have started this thread. That should be motivation enough.

@erwin - Hello!

Your words make me think of the book, ' Atomic habits'.

Very small daily habits create momentum - perhaps start by moving more (if not so already?)

A five minute walk or 5 push ups and 5 squats every morning (it could be anything).

Once you have the momentum do a little more when you feel like it - maybe you don't have too be too rigid or hard on yourself.

Do movements that you enjoy just for the sake of it and see where it takes you... (y)

Being strong is not about doing a specific program every time you want to exercise, strong is a mindset. The mindset of strength is not doing what you want all the time or even enjoy doing it, it is about doing the necessary tasks to maintain health and vigor so you can accomplish any task in life. ...
Excellent, @Mike Sousa SFGTL. Thank you for posting.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom