all posts post new thread

No Longer Simple

McSneaky

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello,

I just completed timed simple. If you followed S&S 2.0, where did you branch off from here to continue your strength training path? Barbell, KB Sinister, KB other lifts such as certification test, or bodyweight strength and why? I am planning on getting a 40 kg ball and continuing my KB training as I really enjoyed the simplicity of it, the strength gained, and convenience of being at home and going on my way. I am sure I will hear it depends what I want to accomplish. I'll keep doing leisurely triathlons and slowly increase my strength but I want to just hear from those who have been in my position before. You trained for 2-years for a goal and it's over- bittersweet but mostly sweet. I'm 32 and have light wear and tear from triathlon/marathons, Football, Jiu-Jitsu and I've really enjoyed Strong First on switching my training mindset and training smart. Thanks for any replies.

-Brian M.

Congrats, sounds like you’re a very accomplished athlete.

Too open ended of a question, but I can tell you what I did. I moved onto PTTP, followed by 5/3/1 and absolutely fell in love with barbell training. I have done quite a few different things as my goals have changed (bulking, cutting, conditioning, power training, etc) as I did S&S during Covid so I wasn’t able to follow some of my normal training like BJJ.

I have no idea what would be best for triathletes, but I would think something full body with minimal time and energy commitment, and I can’t think of anything better for that than Power to the People. I have more time and energy allowances these days so while I really like the program, I prefer more intensive programs currently since I can afford it for now.

Hello,

I just completed timed simple. If you followed S&S 2.0, where did you branch off from here to continue your strength training path? Barbell, KB Sinister, KB other lifts such as certification test, or bodyweight strength and why? I am planning on getting a 40 kg ball and continuing my KB training as I really enjoyed the simplicity of it, the strength gained, and convenience of being at home and going on my way. I am sure I will hear it depends what I want to accomplish. I'll keep doing leisurely triathlons and slowly increase my strength but I want to just hear from those who have been in my position before. You trained for 2-years for a goal and it's over- bittersweet but mostly sweet. I'm 32 and have light wear and tear from triathlon/marathons, Football, Jiu-Jitsu and I've really enjoyed Strong First on switching my training mindset and training smart. Thanks for any replies.

-Brian M.
If you could share your journey to Simple, in this forum under the pinned thread, “I have achieved simple, here is my story”, it would be nice for people who are still practicing S&S.

Barbell was always my main modality, but in "KB world", after Simple I continued on the single KB path to 36 kg, then 40 kg, before finally switching to double KBs.

I wish I had switched to double KBs sooner.

I did ROP after Simple (still am doing it right now tho a bit modified). I think it's a good next step into more KB variations.
Thank you for your reply. I actually had to look up ROP. Seems like a great KB variation change. @james1127 - Thanks for also bringing up ROP. I will definitely check out the other options you rec. as well. I did read in an article Pavel rec. Q&D after SS.

Congrats, sounds like you’re a very accomplished athlete.

Too open ended of a question, but I can tell you what I did. I moved onto PTTP, followed by 5/3/1 and absolutely fell in love with barbell training. I have done quite a few different things as my goals have changed (bulking, cutting, conditioning, power training, etc) as I did S&S during Covid so I wasn’t able to follow some of my normal training like BJJ.

I have no idea what would be best for triathletes, but I would think something full body with minimal time and energy commitment, and I can’t think of anything better for that than Power to the People. I have more time and energy allowances these days so while I really like the program, I prefer more intensive programs currently since I can afford it for now.
Hey Shawn- thanks for your reply. I thought of opening more of a discussion instead of asking a straightforward question to gather ideas and inspiration since I haven't put a stake in the ground of my next moves . Thanks for rec. PTTP / barbell training. This is always a great route to build size and strength. My endurance base definitely helped me get the timed-simple goal, and I will likely need to build more size if I want move around 40kg+ well as I'm about 168 pounds. OSS and congrats on achieving your brown belt- I miss BJJ- haven't gone back after the COVID lockdown closed my gym. Going to scheduled time classes has just become to difficult to do but I will be back! Look forward to seeing you around the forums here as you've shown up on a couple of the good ones- thanks for your shares!

First off congrats on the accomplishment :)

What are your goals? That way we know which suggestions to toss your way
Hello Mark- thank you! My goals are to continue building on the base of strength that I developed completing the timed simple. I do like the S&S program and plan to increase to the 40kg kb and build-up progression to it in the same monthly manner outlined in the S&S book; however, I do envision TGU to be something I will initially fear. Stabilizing that weight will take a lot of practice and I like hearing the recs. of others on here for alternatives to build strength. PTTP and ROP may be something I move towards if the 40kg kb is a tough nut to crack. Current weight is 168 lb. but I am sure some size will build as strength increases, or perhaps no mass gain and one becomes more efficient. Thank you for your reply.

If you could share your journey to Simple, in this forum under the pinned thread, “I have achieved simple, here is my story”, it would be nice for people who are still practicing S&S.
Hello Ege-

Yes I will definitely do this. I will share the OneNote docs. I created to help track workouts and progress to next KB size. Have a great day!

Reactions: Ege
Barbell was always my main modality, but in "KB world", after Simple I continued on the single KB path to 36 kg, then 40 kg, before finally switching to double KBs.

I wish I had switched to double KBs sooner.
Thank you for your response! I love barbell training but I am loving training from my apartment and just moving on. If I get a garage I will definitely pick up barbell training again. The idea of switching to double KBs earlier is profound. Something I will definitely consider before buying a 40kg kb.

Thank you for your response! I love barbell training but I am loving training from my apartment and just moving on. If I get a garage I will definitely pick up barbell training again. The idea of switching to double KBs earlier is profound. Something I will definitely consider before buying a 40kg kb.

I use my 2 x 24, 2 x 28, and 2 x 32 a lot more than I use either my single 36 kg or my single 40 kg.

I use my 2 x 24, 2 x 28, and 2 x 32 a lot more than I use either my single 36 kg or my single 40 kg.
Did you start your single KB journey with 16kg or 24 kg? If you have started w 16 kg, could you indeed have started your journey with 24 kg in terms of strength? I am trying to understand what 24 kg means for you.

Did you start your single KB journey with 16kg or 24 kg? If you have started w 16 kg, could you indeed have started your journey with 24 kg in terms of strength? I am trying to understand what 24 kg means for you.

I started with a 16 kg, but I realized it was too light after about 2 weeks.

I then bumped up to 20 kg for another 2 weeks, and 2 weeks after that (6 weeks in) I went to 24 kg.

I probably should have started at 24 kg or 28 kg, but KB swing work was never challenging to me from a posterior chain / hinge strength POV -- it was all about skill KB-specific acquisition.

Hello Mark- thank you! My goals are to continue building on the base of strength that I developed completing the timed simple. I do like the S&S program and plan to increase to the 40kg kb and build-up progression to it in the same monthly manner outlined in the S&S book; however, I do envision TGU to be something I will initially fear. Stabilizing that weight will take a lot of practice and I like hearing the recs. of others on here for alternatives to build strength. PTTP and ROP may be something I move towards if the 40kg kb is a tough nut to crack. Current weight is 168 lb. but I am sure some size will build as strength increases, or perhaps no mass gain and one becomes more efficient. Thank you for your reply.
Thanks for this..

Agree with you that everyone has a certain size range that makes heavier bells more manageable..

What I would do if your goal is getting to timeless 40kg but also adding some muscle

The giant or ROP then S and S 2-3x a week

Thanks for this..

Agree with you that everyone has a certain size range that makes heavier bells more manageable..

What I would do if your goal is getting to timeless 40kg but also adding some muscle

The giant or ROP then S and S 2-3x a week
Thank you, Mark. I will try to find more information on The Giant, haven't heard of this option yet. I think you have put forth a great recommendation and I will see it through.

Thank you. I found the link yesterday after searching high and low on StrongFirst until I realized it is likely from an outside source. I will definitely give this program a try! Did you start off at 1.0 or another level?
There's a massive thread here: Kettlebell - "Giant 1.0" one of many anyway. I done 1.0 and Easy Muscle schedule A, which is very similar and also a Geoff Neupert program.

Can be run with singles or double bells, if you only have single bells then Pavel's Rite of Passage from Enter the Kettlebell is also a very popular, proven program. I only haven't run it as it allegedly takes a bit longer per session, but I can't comment on that personally. Kettlebell - ROP support group

Back
Top Bottom