all posts post new thread

Kettlebell No More Back Pain

I became a gym rat in my 30's and gave myself a back problem from Deadlifting.
I've always had stiff joints, even as a kid. I believe I have SI Joint Disfunction.
I transitioned from Barbells to Kettlebells over the years but have always had some back/hip pain.
Sometimes achy...other times really bad where I am crooked and need some serious rehab.
Seemed like my back was "going out" every few months.

For a few months now I've been following Mark Wildman's youtube videos for Heavy Club training.
Since day 1 of this my back pain is just gone. Mark claims in his videos that his training will get rid of back pain.
He seems to be correct. I now do Kettlebell work just for lower body...like Swings, Get Ups, Lunges, etc.

I just wanted to share this. It seems almost too good to be true. I no longer get out of bed or out of the car all stiff and careful.
I feel 10 years younger. Although in the mirror I am still fat and old.
Hey man-- he has a ton of videos on this topic. Where do you recommend starting?

Hey man-- he has a ton of videos on this topic. Where do you recommend starting
In a new series of his videos he admits to posting many videos of movement tutorials but now he is re-creating all the videos in order. So If you see his more recent videos, all this year, all of them outside, he numbers them. I started with 2-Handed Heavy Club 1: Side to Side Swing. In this new series he goes through all the micro partial movements that you need to learn to do the main moves. For example, you will learn the Side to Side Swing, practice it a few days, then discover later it is simply a portion of the Inside and Outside Circle. I'm on video 20 now and I still have not learned all the actual movements.
It's like "show me wash the car" and "show me paint the fence" only to discover you learned Karate without knowing it.

I recall Scott Sonnon reported that heavy club training fixed his back, after injuring himself while practicing the deadlift.

Sounds like a winner. What would you suggest as a starting weight for clubs for a moderately strong beginner? And a good starter program? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I'm gonna build one from pipe and flange and keep watching his channel. Thanks again for mentioning this!
Adex makes an adjustable club that Mr. Wildman seems to think is …… the answer.

Adex makes an adjustable club that Mr. Wildman seems to think is …… the answer.
Adex Club is made in USA, but its expensive. Also on some of the Wildman videos you can see the Adex Club he is using is wrapped in duct tape...which I assume means the plates jingle. I like one piece clubs just like one piece kettlebells.

OK I just went to youtube and saw some Scott Sonnon vids and other people swinging clubs for Tacfit.
They were all good but I guess I gravitate towards Wildman because when I see his body type and the way it moves it seems achievable to me. His body looks like mine without the beer belly. When I see him moving I can copy the movement. Someone less bulky may gravitate towards a different trainer.

I like my Adex mace, arc, and clubs (I have 2) enough that I donated my Onnit mace.

The interchangeable weights are nice.

I'm a bit torn if I prefer the fat grips or the regular handles, though.

Wildman was taught by Sonnon or one of Sonnon's certified coaches so he's moving under similar concepts as the others. We know this because Wildman says it himself in a few of his own videos.

Each individual moves in their own way as dictated by their own body, injury history, etc. - no denying that. But when you hear Wildman say cues like "crown to coccyx alignment", "grip confirmation", etc. that's straight out of Rmax/Sonnon. So next time you watch Wildman move, look for the concepts/principles underlying his movement.

Shane Heins at Onnit was an RMax coach under Sonnon back in the day. On the surface level I guess he might look a little different than Wildman in how he moves, but look more close at how he aligns his spine, how he times the shifting of his hips as the club moves side-side, etc. At a fundamental level, he moves pretty much the same way.

Last edited:
Wildman was taught by Sonnon or one of Sonnon's certified coaches so he's moving under similar concepts as the others. We know this because Wildman says it himself in a few of his own videos.

Each individual moves in their own way as dictated by their own body, injury history, etc. - no denying that. But when you hear Wildman say cues like "crown to coccyx alignment", "grip confirmation", etc. that's straight out of Rmax/Sonnon. So next time you watch Wildman move, look for the concepts/principles underlying his movement.

Shane Heins at Onnit was an RMax coach under Sonnon back in the day. On the surface level I guess he might look a little different than Wildman in how he moves, but look more close at how he aligns his spine, how he times the shifting of his hips as the club moves side-side, etc. At a fundamental level, he moves pretty much the same way.
Yes yes alignment of the spine....shifting hips, these are very important. I am going to post a new thread called Skeleton based on the thoughts your comments have given me.

My club arrived today. I'll have to go slow, since my choice of weights was 13 lb or 17 lb. But I'll work it so I can hopefully undo some of the back discomfort that seems to need a fair bit of warming up to dissipate. I probably should get back into pistols too. Looking forward to your skeleton post Jayjo.

Yes yes alignment of the spine....shifting hips, these are very important. I am going to post a new thread called Skeleton based on the thoughts your comments have given me.

I don' t know if you found the RMAX cues for heavy club operation yet but just in case here are all 7, which again Wildman mentions every now and then in his heavy club videos

My club arrived today. I'll have to go slow, since my choice of weights was 13 lb or 17 lb. But I'll work it so I can hopefully undo some of the back discomfort that seems to need a fair bit of warming up to dissipate. I probably should get back into pistols too. Looking forward to your skeleton post Jayjo.
I'm using a 20 lbs. Club for 2-hand work. But I still cannot handle the 15 lbs. for 1-arm work.

Maybe I should do 1-hand work on a different day then 2-hand. Its likely my grip is worn out by the time I get to 1-hand.

Can you suggest a 2 hand drill to start with? All I have been doing so far is his "3 exercises to eliminate back pain", and they are all one handed. Also what are some good rep schemes?

Can you suggest a 2 hand drill to start with? All I have been doing so far is his "3 exercises to eliminate back pain", and they are all one handed. Also what are some good rep schemes?
When I do a 2-hand routine it looks like this:
--Alternating Circles (inside & outside into one rep) about 10. Then the same with opposite High Hand.
--Sheild Cast with each side High Hand for as long as I can stand it before my grip or back gets tired.
--Outside & Inside Pendulums for each side High Hand.
--Then I do some other Sheild Casts such as Squat Shield Cast or Half Kneeling.
I do this all with the 15 lbs. Club then again with the 20 lbs. Club.
Again, I am just learning this stuff but that is how I've been doing it.

Back
Top Bottom