all posts post new thread

NO MORE EXCUSES!!! Total beginner in this thread...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
13 Oct 2017

Kettlebells arrived! I was a little bit surprised how heavy 16kg actually is lol!

I was going to do some exercises and get acquainted with my new friends but after work my wife and I had both had a bad day so we took the kids out and had a couple of beers. :oops:

In other words. Nothing happened other than receiving a delivery! :eek:

Plan for 14 Oct 2017

3 x 5+5 halos 16kg
3 x 5 hip bridge
0 x goblet squat - just above right knee is still sore
---
4 x 5+5 tgu 0kg
1 x 1+1 tgu 16kg (probably just part of it let's see!)
0 x swings or deadlifts due to soreness in thigh/above knee
---
2 x 1min 90/90 stretch
2 x 1min straddle stretch

---

Have a good weekend amigos! :)

Oh dear me!

Take a look at this - my first proper attempt at doing a TGU with just a shoe balancing on my fist. I really have a very long way to go...

Please criticise.

P.S. Wait until you see me attempt to do something with the 16kg KB!

14 Oct 2017

5a7cac7bd6c8b1e52fce67d646f31c4f.png

I have to be honest and say the 16kg could be too much for my weak wrists but I won't give up on it yet. Maybe it is just beginner issues!

I found the halos "tough" but doable. Let's just say it felt like a bit more than a "warm-up"!!!

Couldn't get up onto my elbow in the TGU with 16kg.

Lots to work on!

Btw, I also bought a "gripper" as Mr.Tsatsouline advised in the podcast and doing Grease The Groove with that.

Plan for 15 Oct 2017

3 x 5+5 halos 16kg
3 x 5 hip bridge
Goblet squats only if big improvement in thigh
---
4+4 tgu 0kg
1+1 tgu 16kg (see if can get up onto elbow)
Try some deadlifts if soreness in thigh has gone
---
2 x 1min 90/90 stretch
2 x 1min straddle stretch

Be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day, and you will not get up with a 16 kg kettlebell right away either. As for form, here is a video that I watched sooooo many times to learn how to perform the get up. You will notice the difference in leg positioning between the video below and yours. This video may be of some assistance to you. Again, be patient, build a strong foundation before trying to make leaps and bounds with the kettlebell. You will be rewarded.

Hello Chris,

always a good idea to video oneself to be getting some input. A couple of things you can work on, to see results immediately:

- you have the bent leg just in front of you. With this you have no leverage to initiate the roll, so bring the bent knee to the side. Then you can push strongly. As you push then with the foot of the bent leg, let your body roll to the side and almost simultaneously drive your elbow of the free arm hard into the ground, or imagine to bring that elbow towards your body. This engages your lat and keeps the shoulder away from your ears
- when you are on your elbow never sack, meaning keep tension, that the shoulder always is away from the ear.
- the end position of the low sweep is ideally this: your hand on the ground is in one line with your knee and your foot
- then you can hinge your (left)glute towards your (left) heel and vice versa.
- when you hinge a bit towards your heel sweep your free hand towards your knee and let it slide over your thigh as you get into the half kneel. When your hand stays in contact with your body it gets feedback by itself, which makes the movement more intuitive and safer.
- then almost as soon your free hand is off the ground look not to the object but in front of you. Then you know where you are in space, have reference, which makes equilibrium much much easier, and also to stand up (as you use a shoe in the vid one is much more focused on the object not to fall down then it is normal to fix it by gaze. Maybe just practice the GU with a light bell but make sure to lock your elbow. Then go back to the shoe later).
- the reverse would be the same: when knee and foot are on the ground, let your free hand slide down your thigh further on the ground, than knee, foot and hand are in one line almost automatically. Your other bent leg is about to 90 degrees to the imaginary line of foot, knee and hand. Then you sweep that leg out of the line to the front to the tall sit.
- when your elbow is on the ground again, try to push (instead of the "pull" in the Up part of the GU) the elbow away from your body, that provides tension, to stay strong and safe with your shoulder. And keep the bent foot to the side of the body.

You will get it.

@Michael Scott and @Harald Motz - thank you so much for these great pieces of advice. I think I improved a lot already from those!

15/16/17 October 2017

724e108b5ae2c099086e4061b4e1dd03.png

7a671af561422ed7f581d87cbf5d6c0f.png

Monday (16th) and Wednesday (today) are tough days for me to do training. I already do Wing Chun class those nights. However I am determined to find something smaller to do on those nights. Even if it is just stretching.

Notice I got up onto one hand on right side doing TGU! Big wow huh!? Also did some deadlifts. Need to listen to S & S book again to see what my next progression will be towards a swing!

Keep up the good work @TSH_Chris!
Thanks man! Need that support!

---

18th/19th October 2017

390a82687f591fd864a90d6030b4d59d.png

So added 10 more deadlifts AND got to the top point of a TGU on my right! I wasn't aiming to do that it just kind of "happened"! On the left I am still only up on to the hand but getting better.

Nothing more from above my knee so feel like goblet squats are okay. Stretching is getting a bit better too I feel!

Got a lot on this weekend so not sure what training will be done :( . We are going to Legoland for a few days so that is going to be AWESOME!!! :D :p :cool: o_O

24th/25th/26th October 2017

40302458a1b18b90c9e9535f5ce74348.png

Two VERY similar sessions with the only difference being that on the second one I managed to stand up on the left hand side TGU!!! It was a bit shaky tho!!!

I need to progress on the swings now. Can't remember what is next. I think it is some "hikes" with the kettlebell without going right to the top? This is the trouble with using audiobook - it isn't so easy to refer back all of the time.

P.S. Legoland was AMAZING! I think my kids enjoyed it too!!! ;) ;) ;)

@THS_Chris, how is the workout going?

Hi mate! Thanks for asking...

Things have gone a bit downhill here tbh. The company I work for (21 years now) is suddenly in financial difficulties and all the talk is about going bust.

I have been spending a lot of my free time working on ways to make an income for when/if it all goes south.

So no exercise other than keeping up my Wing Chun classes. And to be honest I am only going to those right now as 1. it is massive release of stress and 2. i could look at becoming an instructor in a few months to help income.

I will be back though, this is just a temporary glitch. Unfortunately it does, however, look like EXCUSES. What it really is, however, is PRIORITIES.

I will post here if anything major happens, trust me!

Thanks again for asking mate.

Family always comes first. There is no shame, and no excuses when you are looking out for the welfare of yourself and your family. Stress relief in the form of exercise does the body good two ways. One, it relieves your stress, and two, there will be a physical benefit from the exercise. The kettlebells aren't going anywhere. They will be ready when you are.

Best of luck, I hope all goes well for you.

Hi mate! Thanks for asking...

Things have gone a bit downhill here tbh. The company I work for (21 years now) is suddenly in financial difficulties and all the talk is about going bust.

I have been spending a lot of my free time working on ways to make an income for when/if it all goes south.

So no exercise other than keeping up my Wing Chun classes. And to be honest I am only going to those right now as 1. it is massive release of stress and 2. i could look at becoming an instructor in a few months to help income.

I will be back though, this is just a temporary glitch. Unfortunately it does, however, look like EXCUSES. What it really is, however, is PRIORITIES.

I will post here if anything major happens, trust me!

Thanks again for asking mate.

Hey!

I hope everybody is doing great here and enjoying life to the MAX!?

I could be ready to get back on the kettlebells!

Over 5 months have passed and a lot has happened...

The company I work for is still going! Things are not great there but hey, life goes on!

I have joined the Instructor Course at my Wing Chun Kung Fu organisation!

So I am now the instructor for Wing Chun at Solihull (UK) and am hoping to take on some more schools in the near future. I have got a LOT of work to do to get to where I want to be but the journey is great fun so far!

I have just been doing a little bit of Grease The Groove type work with push ups and squats. Really I am not anywhere near where I want to be aka I am terrible.

I will pick up the kettlebells tonight and start to reacquaint myself... I cannot remember much!

Anyway, it is good to be back. Hopefully for good this time!

Speak soon!

Chris.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom