all posts post new thread

Noah Marek's Training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
7-1-18
Kettlebell snatch
32kg 5r emom x30 minutes, 150 snatches total
-Yes! Highest volume season to date with 32kg and it went great! Hands are definitely a bit beat up but no blisters which is always a primary goal. I am currently doing a prep phase before I start Plan 044B w/ 32kg. I should be good to start it within a few weeks. Super excited for that program!
Overhead press
32kg 5x2

-Really happy with today's training. I may take the next scheduled session off of snatching since I have been snatching quite a bit lately. Looking forward to barbell work on Tuesday!

7-2-18
Run- 20 minutes long easy distance (LED)
-I have stopped consistently running as a key part of my training. My priority is the kettlebell snatch and general strength training, and I just do easy runs or hikes whenever I can for GPP and aerobic work. It always feels good to do!

7-3-18
A+A snatch 32kg 5r x24 repeats, 120 total
-12 push ups after every 4 repeats, 72 total
-Solid training session. Snatching and push ups are a great combo!

7-10-18
Hey guys! I took about a week off of posting while I was camping but am back now. Great camping trip, we did tons of kayaking!

Last Saturday I started A+A plan 111a: low volume Lumberjack Fitness from Al Ciampa and am using 32kg. I am 2 sessions in and it feels great. It is right at my current level so I won’t have to do any crazy number of repeats anytime soon. That would be the follow up protocol... Super excited to finally be doing one of these protocols!

I dropped the FPP a while back cause it was just too much volume along with heavy snatches. So my current program will be A+A snatches, push ups, jogging when I can, and tossing in some other strength training such as pull ups, squats, and presses.

I also purchased the Oxygen Advantage and have begun practicing Buteyko breathing. I have significant levels of fatigue and have had trouble sleeping for a long time... this goes back 7 years and I am just 23 years old. I have never been overweight, but it seems like I have some form of obstructive sleep apnea.

My wife and I are super tight on money so unfortunately a sleep study is not feasible at the moment. However, a $13 book and working my butt off at practicing this is! I will be taking this seriously and am eager to see how this will improve my health and hopefully improve my sleep quality and energy levels. And FYI, I have covered the basics of sleep hygiene and nothing has helped significantly so when I read how this could help, it got my attention fast. For anyone who has done Buteyko breathing, I would love to hear any advice/feedback you may have. And yes, I will strongly consider getting sessions with an instructor in the future. but it is not possible at the moment (maybe in late December with some Christmas money??).

I also slept with tape over my mouth for the first time last night and had no problems with it at all which is a good sign. I am practicing the breathe light to breathe right whenever I can throughout the day and the nose unblocking exercises before bed (I have had chronic nasal congestion for years go figure and it has not been alleviated with nasal sprays). I expect/hope to see some tangible results within a week (I started Buteyko initially on Sunday evening 7-8-18). Fingers crossed!

For anyone who has done Buteyko breathing, I would love to hear any advice/feedback you may have.
I've been doing the Buteyko breathing through the Advanced Buteyko Institute (ABI) since November of last year. They have a smartphone app that is really great.

Buteyko Breathing Course - Advanced Buteyko Institute

Advice #1: Get an instructor. It was not an intuitive process for me. I've been working with Al Ciampa; he's great.
Advice #2: Be patient. Like anything worth doing, it can take a while for any results to show up.

Feedback: It has improved many aspects of my life and training. I consider it a critical pillar of my lifestyle systems for health, fitness, and stress management.

7-10-18
Run- 25 minute jog with 5 minute walk to finish

Buteyko breathing (Oxygen Advantage)
-10 breath holds while walking, 3x30 steps, 7x40 steps
-lots of “breathe light to breathe right”, 2 20+ minute sessions while driving

7-11-18
A+A Plan 111a week 1 day 3
-high volume session at 30 number of repeats (NR), and I barely evaded getting a blister on my left hand. Should have stopped at 26 or 28 repeats to be safe. Next time, I will listen to my hands and be ok with not getting the scheduled NR. Currently, it is just a hot spot but tomorrow’s scheduled snatches are not gonna happen.
-My left arm struggles with not pinching the calluses on the drop while my right arm struggles with getting a full lockout. More time spent with snatches will help refine technique though!
Push ups 2x20

7-11-18
A+A Plan 111a week 1 day 3
-high volume session at 30 number of repeats (NR), and I barely evaded getting a blister on my left hand. Should have stopped at 26 or 28 repeats to be safe. Next time, I will listen to my hands and be ok with not getting the scheduled NR. Currently, it is just a hot spot but tomorrow’s scheduled snatches are not gonna happen.
-My left arm struggles with not pinching the calluses on the drop while my right arm struggles with getting a full lockout. More time spent with snatches will help refine technique though!
Push ups 2x20
That was the first a+a protocol I completed!!

7-13-18
Variety day
Warm up- 1 clean + 1 press + 1 squat w/ 24kg for 2 sets each side
Atos 1.0 complex w/ 24kg
4 cleans
4 squats
4 presses
4 swings
3 sets with 120s in between

Pistol squat bw 2x5/5

The complex was a lot of fun for a variety day! Hands needed a longer rest so tomorrow I will be snatching again. Need to do variety days more often! Also, I think complexes will be a go to during the school year when I am short on time. They are great!

7-14-18
Training
A+A Snatch Plan 111a week 1 day 4 (low volume day) w/ 32kg
Clean + Press + squat 3x32kg 3x1
Farmer's carry 30s on: 30s off x4 minutes w/ 48kg +40kg
Get up 40kg 1r emom x10 minutes

-Awesome training day! Farmer's carries and get ups both felt great! I want to start incorporating carries into my training more often cause they are just awesome. And snatch technique continues to improve! One week of the A+A plan is done and so far, so good. (That's 420 snatches w/ 32kg if you were wondering!)

Oxygen Advantage
-Was able to keep my mouth taped shut all night long the last 2 nights (Aka it didn't come off unintentionally). If you are wondering, the reason I am taping my mouth shut at night is to prevent mouth breathing which can decrease sleep quality among many other things.
-Breath holds after exhalation while walking: 1x30 steps, 1x40 steps, 4x50 steps, 1x60 steps, 1x50 steps, 1x40 steps, 1x30steps
-Forgot to measure Bolt score in the morning but will continue to do so
-I am focusing on 3 main things with this program 1) Nasal breathing throughout the whole day 2) Breathing lighter (as explained in the book) and 3) breath holds while walking

@rickyw Thanks for the recommendation and yes, I have tried both. Sinus rinse oddly didn’t help at all and nasal strips only give some temporary relief. I have also tried Flonase for 3 weeks straight and it didn’t make a difference. Trying some alternative methods now based off of the Buteyko breathing method. Fingers crossed!

Al told me just the other day he knows of cases of sleep apnea that have been aided by buteyko breathing. I’ve been planning on starting myself. I’ll be interested in seeing how it goes for you

7-15-18
Oxygen Advantage
Breath holds while walking after exhalation: 1x30 steps, 5x40 steps, 1x50 steps, 2x40 steps, 1x30 steps

7-16-18
Training
A+A Plan 111a week 2 day 1
Deadlift 315lb 3x3
Bench press 185lb 3x3
Back squat 225lb 2x6

-Awesome training day today! Snatches are continuing to click for me and going well. I wanted to get in some barbell work because I may not be able to get it in for a while so I did low volume with moderately heavy loads. Felt really good! My lower back gets worked/fatigued more than anything else from snatching so bench pressing is actually a very complementary lift to it.

7-17-18
Training
A+A Snatch Plan 111a week 2 day 2
Double kettlebell press 2x32kg 2x(1,2), 1
Farmer’s carry 30s on: 30s off x4 48kg + 40kg

-Did tomorrow’s session a day early since tomorrow will be a busy day. Felt pretty tired during the beginning of the session but actually felt better by the end of it. Double presses felt super good. I want to get into these more consistently! I have had the goal of a double 40kg press for quite a while. Maybe time to start working towards that...

7-20-18
Training
A+A snatch Plan 111a week 2 day 3
-highest volume day yet (160 snatches with 32kg). Hands made it through but couldn’t have taken any more. Last set with my left hand was ugly due to trying not to cause a blister but overall, happy with the session.
Push ups 2x20

Oxygen Advantage
10 breath holds while walking after exhalation: 1x30 steps, 2x40 steps, 4x50 steps, 2x40 steps, 1x30 steps

Sleep
-Since I have started sleeping with tape over my mouth, I have noticed one very significant difference. I dream much more! Before this, I rarely ever could remember a single dream from the night before. Now, I can remember one/two every single night! I am also waking up fewer times per night and am feeling less tired throughout the day. With that being said, my sleep problems aren’t resolved because I still feel more tired than I should be but at least I know I am making progress! Yes!

7-23-18
A+A Snatch Plan 111a week 3 day 1 w/ 32kg
SLDL 32kg 2x5/5
Offset rack squat 48kg 2x5/5
Press 32kg x1,2,3
Curl 16kg x6,5

-The offset rack squats wrecked me; the 95 degree weather didn’t help. I felt a bit sick afterward and weaker in the subsequent lifts. Felt much better after a cold shower but man, those were tough!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom