all posts post new thread

Noah Marek's Training log

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
9-1-18
A+A snatch 36kg 5r x 24, 36 minutes

First 8 repeats felt crappy because I couldn’t place the bell where I wanted it to go well enough resulting in pinched calluses. However, after that I found my rhythm and the rest of the session went great! I was initially shooting for 20 repeats but went up to 24 because I was feeling good. Felt more confident than ever with 36kg!

9-3-18
A few presses with 24kg and 32kg
A+A snatch 36kg 5r x12, 19:50

Slept poorly last night and woke up feeling sick this morning. I had to stop this session halfway through due to feeling crappy. Just gonna rest up today and try to get extra sleep tonight.

9-5-18
Snatch Plan 240 Week 1 day 1
Double kb clean and press 2x32kg 10x1
Front squats 2x32kg 2x5
Push ups on bells x8

9-7-18
Snatch Plan 240 week 1 day 2
Bottoms up press 3x (24kgx1, 16kgx5)
1 arm double kettlebell deadlifts 2x32kg 3x5
Curls 16kg x6,5,5
Lunges 24kg 3x10

I preordered the Snatch Blueprint from Hector G a few months ago and finally received it! I decided to go with the 13 week plan to pass a snatch test. I’ll be going for 100 reps with 32kg in 5 minutes at the end of the cycle! This will be really tough, but i’ve spent long enough with a+a for now and am ready for a challenge.

Obviously I can’t give away all the details but it’s two days a week, one day i’m snatching 36kg and the other 32kg for more reps. The first 6 weeks are focused on steadily building volume. This will be fun!

32kg snatch test is going down 12 weeks from now!

9-8-18
1 arm clean and jerk 32kg 3r emom x12

Later,

1 arm clean and jerk 32kg 3r emom x14

-Really enjoyed this quick and simple workout. I need to do clean and jerks more often. Great full body exercise and very satisfying!

Last edited:
9-10-18
1 arm clean and jerk 32kg 3r emom x10
Snatch Plan 240 week 2 day 1 (36kg)
Bottoms up clean holds 36kg 4x1/1 (10s holds)
Push ups 3x10

Bottoms up clean holds felt really good! It really is a great exercise for grip strength and total body tension!

9-12-18
1A clean and press 32kg 1x(1,2,3), 4x(1,2), 1x(1,2,3)
Double kettlebell front squat 2x32kg 5x5, 1x10

9-14-18
1A clean and press 32kg 4x(1,2)
Snatch Plan 240 week 2 day 2 w/ 32kg
1 arm clean and jerk 24kg 11+11 in one set
1A curl 16kg 3x5
Push ups 3x10
Pistol squat 16kg 3x3

-solid training sessions this week! I’m really enjoying clean and presses with 32kg.

9-17-18
Snatch Plan 240 week 3 day 1 36kg
Front squats 32kg + 36kg 4x5
Push ups 2x20

9-18-18
Run- 20 minutes

9-19-18
Clean and press 32kg 5x (1,2)
Front squat 32kg + 36kg 2x5
Viking warrior conditioning 24kg 7r every 30s x 20 rounds (10 minutes)

9-21-18
Double jerk 2x32kg 1 clean + 2 jerks emom x10
Snatch Plan 240 week 3 day 2
-10 sets of 7+7 with 32kg... BARF
curls 16kg x4,3,3
Wrist curls 16kg 2x20

Snatches are getting tough already and it’s only week 3 of 13... this program will definitely be a challenge.

Haven't seen you in a while bud! Looks like school's keepin you busy! (y) Which program are you on now?
Thanks for the interest Philippe. Yeah, pretty busy with school but definitely am still lifting in full force! I just finished week 3 of a 13 week program for the 5 minute 32kg snatch test. Goal is 100 reps. Currently, I am building volume, one day using the 36kg and the other using the 32. I also still do some strength work before and/or after my snatches.

Here is a video from day 1 if this program with 36kg Noah Marek (training account) on Instagram: “32kg 5 minute snatch test is going down in 13 weeks. This is going to be epic. ”

And here is a video of an arm wrestling match from today at school. Noah Marek (training account) on Instagram: “Meanwhile in PT school... armwrestling is happening between classes. @chris.choi You are a strong dude, but you will be pinned…”
I really enjoy arm wrestling and want to keep improving at it so i’ve added in some light assistant work at the end of my works of either curls or wrist curls. Plus, adding some functional strength and mass to the guns doesn’t hurt ;)

Well done that's a heavy kettlebell to snatch 100 x! Ah yes, arm wrestling. I've always been quite good at that...long arms seem to help plus all the irradiation tips from pavel seem to help a lot, i.e. approaching a match mentally seems pretty similar to a max effort deadlift to me. Ha yeah watching the snatch video I was like "damn, you've got some guns man! Do you get those just from snatching the k-bell? I should probably start that!" Keep up the good work bud! :)

Well done that's a heavy kettlebell to snatch 100 x! Ah yes, arm wrestling. I've always been quite good at that...long arms seem to help plus all the irradiation tips from pavel seem to help a lot, i.e. approaching a match mentally seems pretty similar to a max effort deadlift to me. Ha yeah watching the snatch video I was like "damn, you've got some guns man! Do you get those just from snatching the k-bell? I should probably start that!" Keep up the good work bud! :)
Thanks for the encouragement! Hard to say about the arm development given I have a 8 year training history. However, my arms have definitely gotten more muscular since focusing on snatching heavy and for volume in the last year. In fact, it has been the vast majority of my pulling exercises and my biceps are pretty much always a little sore after snatching (the impulse on the eccentric is quite strong).

I recently started curling but only have done a bit so far. There are definitely easier ways to add mass to the upper body than the snatch due to it’s technical difficulty (mostly due to how it tears up your hands if your form isn’t sound) but if you enjoy the movement, then it’s worth it for sure.

So last night (9-23-18) I tweaked my elbow arm wrestling. My elbows were feeling sore and achy from doing a lot of arm work the last week but when my friend asked if I wanted to, I couldn’t say no haha. Anyway, on our second round going lefty, we all heard a pop from my elbow and then I went down voluntarily. I think it sounded much worse than it was, but I am having to take it easy for a bit. The tenderness is at the area of the common flexor tendon (where forearm flexors attach proximally). Just doing programming by feel for a bit until my elbow feels strong enough to handle snatches again. Frustrated that I wasn’t smarter about it in the first place, but what’s done is done. So for now, just going to be patient and ease back into training as pain decreases and my elbow can tolerate more tensile loading.

9-24-18
Run- 25 minutes with 10 minute walk to finish. This felt really good! A nice change of pace.

9-26-18
Towel bicep curl (extra slow and strict) 16kg x8,7,7
Clean and press 24kg 5x(1,2,3,4,5)
Pistol squat 2x(1,2,3,4,5)
Goblet squat 32kg x20
-Awesome training session today! Elbow was feeling better but did end up having some increased discomfort from the clean and presses. I really enjoyed using lighter weights for more volume in this workout!

9-28-18
A video from the “kettlebell playdate” I had with Arryn Grogan and Holly Meyers ROFL

Noah Marek (training account) on Instagram: “First time having a “kettlebell playdate” with @liftwithhollyandarryn It was a fun one for sure! - #Repost @liftwithhollyandarryn with…”

Did some double snatches, double presses, pistol squats, double kettlebell front squats, push ups, and curls. Super fun session! I loved the energy of lifting with some friends!

Also, my left elbow is feeling much better. Should be back to regular snatch programming on Monday!

Summary of the week rather than logging every session.

Elbow is not 100% but is feeling much better so I continued on with week 4 snatch Plan 240.

I also started the Soja and Tuba press program today (10-6-18) with 2x32kg. Super excited to go through this program again but using 2x32kg this time instead of just a single 32kg.

I supplemented my snatch and press training with front squats, push ups, double jerks, rows, single leg deadlifts and curls.

10-8-18
Soja and Tuba press day 2 2x32kg 6x1
Snatch Plan 240 10 sets of 5/5 on the 90s w/ 36kg
Noah Marek (training account) on Instagram: “5+5 36kg snatches every 90s x10 sets (final set shown). Really happy with how good this felt! ”
Double kettlebell front squat 2x32kg 3x5
Towel curls 24kg x8,7,7
Push ups x12,11,11

-Super happy with how snatches felt today. They are feeling strong and crisp with the 36kg! Also, I love the combo of low volume, heavy presses combined with heavy snatches. 2 powerful movements that complement each other well.

10-10-18
Forgot to update for Wednesday so here it is.
1 arm swings 36kg- 13+13 x 3 sets with long rests in between
Soja and Tuba day 3 2x32kg 8x1
Get ups 40kg 1/1, 32kg 1/1, 1/1
Towel curl 24kg x8,8,7
Push up x12,12,11
Goblet squat 40kg x10
1 arm row 32kg x10/10

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom