all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Non S&S full body routines?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Partha

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi, I am looking for ABA BAB type of full body routines where one could be cardio and mobility, one could be strength. Could people share some thoughts on exercise selection and programming? I have 16, 20 & 24 kg bells. The only restriction is, no lunge (therefore, no TGU).

Brief details: I am 40, have a family and full time technical job. I have intermediate experience with BB (power clean, squat, push press, bent row etc.), and two years with KB. I struggle with lunge due to a congenital orthopedic condition at the legs (knee).

The only restriction is, no lunge (therefore, no TGU).

Half TGU instead of TGU, than bent press progression - it will take longer to learn if you can't get in the half kneeling windmill position of the TGU, but possible with a good instructor.

Since you can squat I assume your condition is not limiting your mobility or stability and the problem is pain with pressure on the knee(s). Did you had problems with movement as an infant, did you rock and crawl properly? If so I would suggest you will try OS resets progressions under supervision, it might have some affect. If you had trouble with development movement because of your knee than this way out my zone and to PT or other clinician.

Is the reason you are looking for a 'non S&S' program due to not being able to do the full Get-Up? Can you manage partial Get-Up's and/or the Bent Press?

Dear both,

I can squat, and bent press the 16 or 20. I can also do a full TGU but it hurts for several days. That's why I wish to exclude TGU from regular programming.

It is not the half kneeling position, rather the overhead lunge part where I struggle. I had three major surgeries in my childhood, the leg below the knee is bent by couple of degrees.

I am okay with Swing / Clean, Bent press, Goblet Squat, Farmer's, bent or Renegade Row. I wish to see examples of programming that could include two goals (not necessarily on the same day).

Cheers and HNY 2018.

Dear both,

I can squat, and bent press the 16 or 20. I can also do a full TGU but it hurts for several days. That's why I wish to exclude TGU from regular programming.

It is not the half kneeling position, rather the overhead lunge part where I struggle. I had three major surgeries in my childhood, the leg below the knee is bent by couple of degrees.

I am okay with Swing / Clean, Bent press, Goblet Squat, Farmer's, bent or Renegade Row. I wish to see examples of programming that could include two goals (not necessarily on the same day).

Cheers and HNY 2018.

So I would suggest Bent & Sinister program from Taming the Bent Press by David Whitley. It is heavily influenced by S&S and is replacing the TGU with bent press (with some modifications to accommodate the differences in goals and lifts). If you go that route I suggest you purchase the book. It is a bent press gold mine.

If you have no problem with the half-kneeling windmill position than maybe you can just work up to that point in your get ups, and supplement with some OH carries from time to time... Also, from bent press learning curve point of view I think that the part up to the windmill is the most important part of the TGU.

So I would suggest Bent & Sinister program from Taming the Bent Press by David Whitley. It is heavily influenced by S&S and is replacing the TGU with bent press (with some modifications to accommodate the differences in goals and lifts). If you go that route I suggest you purchase the book. It is a bent press gold mine.

If you have no problem with the half-kneeling windmill position than maybe you can just work up to that point in your get ups, and supplement with some OH carries from time to time... Also, from bent press learning curve point of view I think that the part up to the windmill is the most important part of the TGU.

Half kneeling windmill through high bridge and separate OH carry.. that never occurred to me! Thanks. I can do this.

Many of us work around a limitation but continue to do S&S. My knees don't like the lunge, so I do TGU-squat. Some others do bent press, or partial TGU. There are a few ways around it. If you like the program don't ditch it just because of the lunge of the TGU

Many of us work around a limitation but continue to do S&S. My knees don't like the lunge, so I do TGU-squat. Some others do bent press, or partial TGU. There are a few ways around it. If you like the program don't ditch it just because of the lunge of the TGU

I did not have this insight - thank you and HNY.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom