all posts post new thread

Nutrition Nootropic Supplements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Nootropic - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

Blood supplements are the new frontier in sports supplements because of the widespread, undisputed effects of blood doping, but I had never heard of Nootropics. It is an interesting subject to me. I wonder about the physical performance to be gained by increasing brain function, and it side effects. I have known lifters who took Adderall for extreme focus.

I in no way condone drug or supplement abuse. Thereare a small handful of supplements I use which are proven safe and effective. We are smart, progressive individuals and I felt it would be an interesting topic for discussion. There are many dark sides to gaining the advantage and coping with intense training and competition that are never openly discussed. That is the main reason I dropped out of competition because of the pressure to use suspect methods to perform. I wanted to be the best, of course we all do, if I could have afforded it,at the time, I probably would have.

Last edited:
Hello,

Caffein, ginkgo for e.g. are considered as nootropics. They are interesting. Each time I consume them, I ask to myself "would I have been able to do that without them ?"

I use them when I feel tired, but I do not all year long.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Like dietary supps, I have mixed feelings about nootropics. There's a theme with nootropics that it can include pretty much anything that affects your cns and brain function, or changes brain function. This can mean dabbling in some cns calming chamomile tea to getting s*it faced on magic mushrooms, going the full Carlos Casteneda down in Mexico with some peyote or popping some alpha brain enabling you to complete the crossword, or to make the next multi-million dollar deal with your razor sharp negotiating skills whilst juggling live animals on gym rings and speaking 3 languages simultaneously. I tend to think it's planet fitness on acid, literally, as it happens. But, you know, everything has its uses, potential benefits and downsides of course. Much of this nootropic wave is really just westernised and marketed concoctions that have been in use elsewhere, Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic therapy, herbal tinctures and the like with more or less 'science' and knowledge of how the mechanisms affect the cns. So where once 'have a blast on this.....dunno how or why it works but it does' is now 'have a blast on this ......it's adaptogenic and blunts the gaba pathway and resets your central nervous system'. So keep your eye out for bulletproof marijuana coming to your health food shop soon, if not already, guaranteed not to get anything done very quickly with the fat burning marvel of mct oil.....get the munchies and burn fat and giggle hysterically at passers-by without the jitters of normal coffee.
Nootropics are another addition to the bonkers world of health and fitness for us all to get our heads around with potential use and abuse, science, anecdote and weirdness. All the more reason to step back and do some swings and get ups.

I think I will stick to my water - Pu-Erh - coffee formula.

+1 to swings and get-ups. Of course.

This explains supplements in my mind; quick progress, quick decline. Just depends on when you need/want to perform your best.
upload_2016-12-14_12-57-58.png

Hello,

@Bro Mo
Dors this mean that "Natural" (meaning without nootropics) are more sustainable / permanent ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I think it's good to remember that everyone of consumes certain amounts of nootropics, whether they are aware of it or not. Some of the stuff is pretty strong, like caffeine/coffee or nicotine. Some of it comes naturally in the food we eat. So it can be hard to draw a line beyond what one goes too far, especially as it is a subjective matter.

I do not consciously try to use nootropics to boost my workouts.For example I sometimes have taken a caffeine pill or drank coffee before a workout, but it was not consumed to enhance the workout. It can be really hard to judge whether something works or not.

I use plenty of different spices, Vitamin D, Krill Oil, Ashwagandha, Caffeine, and Green tea extract. Most of it has some perceptible effect. I have enjoyed nicotine as well, but sadly, have had to quit.

Like dietary supps, I have mixed feelings about nootropics. There's a theme with nootropics that it can include pretty much anything that affects your cns and brain function, or changes brain function. This can mean dabbling in some cns calming chamomile tea to getting s*it faced on magic mushrooms, going the full Carlos Casteneda down in Mexico with some peyote or popping some alpha brain enabling you to complete the crossword, or to make the next multi-million dollar deal with your razor sharp negotiating skills whilst juggling live animals on gym rings and speaking 3 languages simultaneously. I tend to think it's planet fitness on acid, literally, as it happens. But, you know, everything has its uses, potential benefits and downsides of course. Much of this nootropic wave is really just westernised and marketed concoctions that have been in use elsewhere, Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic therapy, herbal tinctures and the like with more or less 'science' and knowledge of how the mechanisms affect the cns. So where once 'have a blast on this.....dunno how or why it works but it does' is now 'have a blast on this ......it's adaptogenic and blunts the gaba pathway and resets your central nervous system'. So keep your eye out for bulletproof marijuana coming to your health food shop soon, if not already, guaranteed not to get anything done very quickly with the fat burning marvel of mct oil.....get the munchies and burn fat and giggle hysterically at passers-by without the jitters of normal coffee.
Nootropics are another addition to the bonkers world of health and fitness for us all to get our heads around with potential use and abuse, science, anecdote and weirdness. All the more reason to step back and do some swings and get ups.
But how do you really feel? :)
+1 swings and get-ups

@Antti, I agree. It's hard to differentiate. Naturally derived is a reasonable guideline but even then it can get a bit murky. And yeah we've all got our own nootropics of some sort......I have mine certainly, a cns depressant combined with some anti-oxidants beefing up my mitochondria efficiency, you know alcohol and resveretrol, commonly known as plain old red wine. Apparently though you need crate loads of the stuff to get an effective dose of resveretrol, which is fine by me!
Currently refining that dosage later today! And probably more research on this over the next couple of weeks.....

@pet' I think you can do the slow steady approach with either but the quick progress that many desire is likely only achievable with supplements and may provide a false sense of the body's homeostasis ability. I think the natural approach helps force a person on to the slow-steady approach and removes the temptation to progress quicker than what is sustainable/permanent.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom