all posts post new thread

Honest Effort

At this point I intend to alternate Hobo movement days with traditional lift days. Made quick vids of the four primary Hobo movements and will link them when they finish processing.

warmup:
slingshots 20 each, and figure 8s 40 with 35lb KB

RFESS 110lbs 8, 8, 8
Hobo Backscratchers 30lbs 6, 7, 5 +3 dropset

above three sets with 1 minute between

jumping sandbag Good Mornings 60 lbs 8, 8, 8
Hobo laterals 30lbs 8, 7, 5 +3 dropset

above three times with 1 minute between

unloaded decksquats, 8 reps alternating with
Cossack stretch/downward dog/seated twist

Last edited:
Was supposed to migrate into more conventional push/pull but couldn't resist the call of the Rails - Hobo strong.
Am definitely getting stronger with/from these. As a side benefit, saw some veins in relief on my traps and upper pecs that haven't been seen in those parts in 20 + years.

Had my hands much closer on the laterals today - much tougher in general and a lot harder on the grip.

warmup:

SLDL 110lbs 12,12,12
Hobo Backscratchers 30lbs 10, 10, 10

jumping sandbag back squats 60 lbs 8, 8, 8
Hobo laterals 30lbs 10, 10, 10

Did fewer jumping Good Mornings - terminated the set when I felt my distance shrink. I have found I have to leap forward on these to get good feel. Not as far as I possibly can, but probably a meter or so followed by a quick step back into a GM/deadlift posture. I need to up weight on these.

Need to up weight on Hobo Paddles as well, am running out of room on the stick.

Hobo moves I am finally beginning to feel like I am really adapting. Today's workout my forearms blew up like balloons and my biceps are getting larger, all from relatively static exertions - maybe a 15-20° swing total from 90°. Surprised at how these are effecting me - am glad I have a recent pic and one from my last Bday before I really started these. Will be nice to compare progression in a few more months.

Am looking into getting some steel ballast shot for 55 cents/pound. Intent is to make loaded pouch or small bucket for the Hobo stick but I could also make some brutal sandbag upgrades - we'll see. If I'm reading the specs accurately they are about 230 lbs a cubic foot and fairly local so I should save a bit on shipping.

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 6,6,6
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 8, 7, 5 dropset +3

above three sets with 1 minutes between

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load held in front 7,7,7
hobo paddles 30 lbs 6, 6, 5 dropset +3

above three times with 1 minutes between

Introducing more weight on SLDL, moved incrementally further from the load on the Hobo lifts.

warmup:

SLDL 110lbs x 12 /130lbs x 10 / 145lbs x 8/ 130lbs x 10
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 10, 8, 6+4 dropset

above four times with 1 minute between

jumping sandbag back squats 60 lbs 7, 7, 7
Hobo laterals 30lbs 10, 8, 5+3 dropset

Slowly adding lbs on the RFESS and getting further from the load on the Hobo lifts. Have swapped out my 2" wood one for a 1.25" steel one, slightly longer as well. The larger diameter was too challenging on my grip and starting to cause some old tendonitis to come back.

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 10, 8, 8
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 8, 6, 4 dropset +3

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load held in front 6,6,6
hobo paddles 30 lbs 6, 6, 5 dropset +3

Really felt it from the jumping sandbag GoodMornings two days ago - hamstrings and glutes feeling it so let off the weight on the SLDL. Increased weight on the Hobo uppercut to the 16kg - absolutely brutal. Actually am almost ready to jump to 16kg on all of them but need to wrap the stick with paracord to help the grip.

warmup:

SLDL 130lbs 8,8,8
Hobo uppercuts 35lbs 10, 8, 6+4 dropset

First workout with new and improved Hobo staff, halfhitch paracord wrap in multiple colored scraps (in true Hobo style). Easy to index and better grip. Makes it very easy to increase/decrease load.

Feelin good.

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 10, 8, 8
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 10, 8, 5 dropset +3

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load held in front 6,6,6
hobo paddles 30 lbs 10, 8, 4 dropset +5

xirJMp2.jpg

Would like to increase load on the SLDL, but am having trouble with maintaining balance. Need to work in a few reps here and there at higher weight. Continuing to slowly grip further from the load on the Hobo lifts. Working in a variation of uppercut that has the pushing arm closer to the body - pressing up and across rather than up in front.

The paracord wrap improves grip but the knot line of the French twist digs into the hand something cruel.

warmup:

SLDL 130lbs 8,10,10
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 10, 8, 6+4 dropset

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 10, 8, 8
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 10, 8, 6 dropset +3

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load held in front 8, 8, 8
hobo paddles 35 lbs 10, 8, 5 dropset +4

No training for a few days. Had a cottonball sized lipoma cut out of the side of my neck and won't be training again till Fri or Saturday.

Time to consider any changes I'd like to make. I keep thinking I need to add some other variety or get back to more traditional upper body work but am having a tough time stepping away from the Hobo workouts. I can't ask for more than they are currently delivering compared to other lifts I have used. Upper pecs are seeing solid increases in hypertrophy while lower pecs are shrinking somewhat. Anterior delts are blending into my biceps, rear delts are getting notably larger, abs solid, serratus, traps, lats etc all coming along.

I do want to add a little more variety into lower body, but currently am only limited by balance as my SLDL and RFESS rely on it. I am at a loss as to how I can incorporate more weight into these lifts using both feet on the ground while keeping the entire set-up mobile. Possibly it is a good limiting factor that I need to improve balance before increasing load. In any event I have no rack or other means of getting more than 140 lbs or so to my shoulders (the max weight in KBs or sandbags I can get to my shoulders with control), so the increased load bearing afforded by SLDL and RFESS are a great solution.

Am leaning toward staying with my current routine, finalizing all the Hobo lifts (vid to follow at some point, really only the "uppercut" and "thruster" still being tweaked and very slight at that), and working on my diet a little. I might entertain some higher rep work on the Hobo lifts but seems like stupidity when I'm getting such a good response to the lower rep ranges. Is probably time to include some consistent heavybag work on my recovery days.

warmup:

2H Swing 32kg 30, 30,30
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 8, 6, 6+4 dropset

jumping sandbag back squats 60 lbs 8, 8, 7
Hobo laterals 30lbs 10, 8, 5+5 dropset

Placed an order for 50lbs of cut wire steel ballast. Will be loading into denim bags (jean pant legs) 1x20lb, 2x10lb and 2x5lb. They will hook to an eyebolt via small carabiners. The company I'm getting it from also can make ballistic nylon sacks to order, but for $15 a bag I can't take a chance on them not being a shape that works.

warmup:

RFESS 115 lbs 10, 10, 10
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 10, 8, 5 dropset +5

Alternating 1H swing 28kg 10 each hand x 3
hobo paddles 35 lbs 10, 10, 10

Little pigeon toe on the SLDL improved balance notably.

warmup:

SLDL 110lbs x 12 repsx 3 set
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 10, 10, 8

jumping sandbag back squats 60 lbs 8, 7, 7

No training for a few days. Had a cottonball sized lipoma cut out of the side of my neck and won't be training again till Fri or Saturday.

Time to consider any changes I'd like to make. I keep thinking I need to add some other variety or get back to more traditional upper body work but am having a tough time stepping away from the Hobo workouts. I can't ask for more than they are currently delivering compared to other lifts I have used. Upper pecs are seeing solid increases in hypertrophy while lower pecs are shrinking somewhat. Anterior delts are blending into my biceps, rear delts are getting notably larger, abs solid, serratus, traps, lats etc all coming along.

I do want to add a little more variety into lower body, but currently am only limited by balance as my SLDL and RFESS rely on it. I am at a loss as to how I can incorporate more weight into these lifts using both feet on the ground while keeping the entire set-up mobile. Possibly it is a good limiting factor that I need to improve balance before increasing load. In any event I have no rack or other means of getting more than 140 lbs or so to my shoulders (the max weight in KBs or sandbags I can get to my shoulders with control), so the increased load bearing afforded by SLDL and RFESS are a great solution.

Am leaning toward staying with my current routine, finalizing all the Hobo lifts (vid to follow at some point, really only the "uppercut" and "thruster" still being tweaked and very slight at that), and working on my diet a little. I might entertain some higher rep work on the Hobo lifts but seems like stupidity when I'm getting such a good response to the lower rep ranges. Is probably time to include some consistent heavybag work on my recovery days.

It seems like the hobo lifts are working well for you

It seems like the hobo lifts are working well for you

I could have a long discussion about these - why I think I'm getting such a positive result and how they are different from a lot of other strategies in a couple of significantly beneficial ways, despite how unorthodox (goofy) looking in practice. Took a look at some of the assumptions re functional training and what my day to day needs are, and the two didn't really jibe.

I wanted to get stronger in ways that directly benefit me and that is actually what's happening - honestly haven't felt this capable in years.

But yeah, every time I think about changing out for more traditional upper body work I just can't bring myself to do so. Top it off, at age 50 my physique is getting better and I wasn't even looking for that.

I could have a long discussion about these - why I think I'm getting such a positive result and how they are different from a lot of other strategies in a couple of significantly beneficial ways, despite how unorthodox (goofy) looking in practice.

maybe that is exactly the reason why you are getting such benefit, because it is a different strategy

maybe that is exactly the reason why you are getting such benefit, because it is a different strategy

That is definitely part of it! I've been at this since January tho, I should have acclimated pretty well by now.

I started off on this with my "sandbag front loaders" and went from there finding other ways to apply the principles I'd identified. A load on a pole worked great to use the concept of:

-no lockout
-elbows float around 90° +- 20° without full flexion or extension.
-load manipulated away from the body center of gravity
-combined push/pull or unsymmetrical bilateral push/pull respectively

Combined this produces incredible tension in the working limbs and core with no need for cues or conscious activation, especially as the load gets further from your center of balance. I have become convinced that managing the shift in center of balance as you interact with objects and other people during push/pull is one of the prime characteristics of both specificity and "farmboy" strength.

The grip gets worked so thoroughly I had to stop using the 2" diameter pole as my old tendonitis was coming back. It isn't just the hook grip that gets worked either, the open side of the grip gets beat on as well - my grip hasn't felt this strong in a long time, nor my forearms larger. Not since I used to do a lot of double stick MA practice.

To me, there's just a lot going on combined with relatively simple movements. It is strange tho, I've trained some oddball stuff, but never anything around specific parameters taken from objectively appraising what I actually use my strength for day to day. I'm a little surprised I was able to put something together that is scalable and easy to modify.

Steel shot arrived today, next workout will be with proper bundles.

As hands get further from the load, it effects each working limb, especially grip, differently.

Increased load on paddles and can do more. RFESS am contributing more with the elevated leg. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be encouraged or discouraged but it hits the quads and hip flexors pretty good.

warmup:

RFESS 140lbs 10, 8, 8
Hobo thrusters 30lbs 10, 8, 5 dropset +4

Jumping sandbag Good Mornings with load across shoulders 8, 7, 7
hobo paddles 35 lbs 10, 8, 6 dropset +3

The pigeon toe for SLDL definitely helps with balance, will try this on the RFESS. Was able to add 30lbs to my usual and there should be more wiggle room. Jumping backsquats also moved up - a good day for lower body.

Hobo bundle is no longer kettlebell hobo bundle. Steel shot bags/carabiner make it easier to adjust load and are less stable - swing around more. Are about a third larger than equivalent KBs, so take up a little more space but don't mash my fingers when I choke up on the pole.

warmup:

SLDL 130lbs x10 reps, 140 lbs 8, 8
Hobo uppercuts 30lbs 10, 8, 6 +3 dropset

jumping sandbag back squats 60 lbs 9, 8, 7

Pigeon toe on the RFESS helped with that as well - pushing the weight nicely, added another 5lbs to the hobo paddles.

Noticed for sure something I'd thought previous - by finishing with a sandbag GM or squat I am inadvertently practicing occlusion training on my shoulders and arms - both from the load across my upper back but also my arms bent tight at the elbow to steady the bag. I can really feel it when I set the bag down.

warmup:

RFESS 110lbs x 10, 140lbs x 8, 150lbs x 8
Hobo Backscratchers 30lbs 10, 8, 4 +6 dropset

jumping sandbag Good Mornings 60 lbs 8, 8, 7
Hobo laterals 40lbs 10, 8, 4 +4 dropset

Back
Top Bottom