all posts post new thread

Barbell Norwegian method questions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ignignokt

Level 1 Valued Member
Alright so as for the obligatory primer on me, I'm almost 30 but still feel 22 and am physically injury free, though I think I have mild ADD. Anthropometrically I've been described by my doctor as proportionally having slightly longer limbs than average, but not that much. I'm about average height and I look really slender but I'm about 175 lbs which is a bit much for comfort - I might be fat on the inside :(

So long story short, I read a bit of what Pavel write about the benefits of training with a higher frequency and wanted to try it out. However, I don't think I found the PTTP routine and didn't want to buy the book, and I didn't want to do "easy strength" either because if I recall, you do the same thing basically 5x/week for like 40 days or something and according to Charles Poliquin the body can adapt to a stimulus after as little as 6 exposures, so I wanted to wave the load up and down a bit. Also I'm not stupid enough to try the "bulgarian" method as I have always done better with low-bar squats and even Cory Gregory, despite his work capacity, only does high bar every other day or something in his routine, to say nothing of LBBS every day.

Before you ATG fanatics attack me, I have good natural hip mobility and I wear shoes with a slight heel, such that even with LBBS I can go quite deep without lumbar flexion and my knee angle is only slightly less than my HBBS - a small price to pay IMHO for the improved stability, consistently straight bar path, reduced risk to my C7 vertebra AND higher percentage strength gain over a given time frame.

Enter the norwegian method: I found this article here and decided to give it a whirl. He says it works for beginners as well as more advanced lifters

so basically in the famous norwegian frequency project, powerlifters who dispersed their workload over 5-6 days instead of 1-2 got bigger and stronger, due I think to keeping the body in a continual anabolic state (testosterone levels go down after like 48 hours post workout or something like that if I recall)

My current routine is as follows (note: I wasn't about to do the 2x5 he suggests here - that would put me to sleep).

week 1-2
mon: 3x3@80%
tue: 3x3@65%
wed: 3x3@75%
thu: 3x3@60%
fri: 3x3@75%

week 3: same as the first two, except retest your 1RM on monday and base the following percentages off of that. (Note: to ensure poundage accuracy and not fry your CNS, you should stagger the weeks such that you do not max on two exercises in the same day/week.)

Much to my surprise - I made some of the fastest gains in my life. My squat jumped from 265 to 315 over the first cycle! And I was never particularly sore either!

Could I have gotten similar gains from other routines? Probably. But if I get the same gain by working smarter not harder, I'm all for it. Also I have a gym at home so the frequency isn't an issue even in a pandemic. if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and yes I'm fully aware of using "max tension" even with light weights too.

So here are my questions: I'm off to a good start for the time being I think, but some improvements need to be made.

1) what do you all recommend for deadlifting during this? The DL is notoriously hard to recover from, especially when squats are factored in, and I'm told one shouldn't test a 1RM on it more than a handful of times per year. Right now I'm simply assuming that my DL is at least as much as my LBBS (which seems safe given the leverages/muscles involved) and whatever I do for 3x3 on a given day for squats, I do 1x3 of that exact same weight for DLs. After this cycle is over I'm debating whether to either just add 10 lbs to my max and base my percentages off of that, to simply use whatever I use for the squat as before, or perhaps do a 6-10 reps max test and estimate my 1RM based on that.

2) there's a powerlifter by the name of Mike Tuchsherer who uses heavy singles at 8 RPE in his routines to better train his lifters for maxing out in competition - something I was a little concerned about given that my training loads are 60-80%, and I enjoy 1RM testing occasionally even though I'm not a PL. He says it's the adrenaline more than anything else that taxes the body and as you lift near-max weights more often you get more confident under load and thus it's less taxing: I'm wondering if I can replace the 80% day with a single @ 8-9 RPE and maybe do a backoff triple or two if needed to maintain volume.

3) eventually my body will get used to this routine, although there are certainly other norwegian-style routines out there. Anyone else have any success stories/recommendations?

I'm not sure what you have against the Bulgarian Method. I use it with low-bar squats four days a week and front-squats two days a week. I just hit a relatively easy 400# low-bar single last Thursday, a 300# front-squat single today, and I dead lifted 510# on June 25th.

I do Saturday: Low-Bar-Sq, Sunday: Low-Bar Sq, Monday: Front-Sq + Speed DLs, Tuesday: Low-Bar Sq,
Wednesday: Front-Sq, Thursday: Low-Bar Sq + Submaximal DL Triple or Submaximal DL Variation Triple or Deadlift 1RM test, Friday: Rest

Also, for question 1) I would recommend dead lifting once a week if you're low-bar squatting, with a second day for speed DLs if you want, and I'd recommend doing the heavier deadlifts on the day that will allow you to rest the most afterward. The speed Dl's aren't as taxing. I have long arms like you and deadlifts are my best lift. I've never found them to be that hard to recover from, but it helps to keep it submaximal even when hitting Prs if you can.

Last edited:
The intensity of the program in the article looks ridiculously low to me. If you can make progress like that, why is anyone working up a sweat? If variety is what you're after, Google "Prilepin chart" and try every possible combination across five workouts weekly. In terms of your current routine, I like your thinking but for me the average intensity looks a little low and I would bump the 60% day up to 65% (at least) and the 65% day up to 70%. And I know the difference between 3x3 and 2x5 doesn't look like much but at such low volumes you're dropping a rep each day and that's 10%. Personally I would start off programming using Prilepin but ultimately rely on my own feel for what my body can handle over five days of sub-maximal effort

Last edited:
The intensity of the program in the article looks ridiculously low to me. If you can make progress like that, why is anyone working up a sweat? If variety is what you're after, Google "Prilepin chart" and try every possible combination across five workouts weekly. In terms of your current routine, I like your thinking but for me the average intensity looks a little low and I would bump the 60% day up to 65% (at least) and the 65% day up to 70%. And I know the difference between 3x3 and 2x5 doesn't look like much but at such low volumes you're dropping a rep each day and that's 10%. Personally I would start off programming using Prilepin but ultimately rely on my own feel for what my body can handle over five days of sub-maximal effort

The intensity is likely raw lifts done relative to a suit PR. At least most of the mentioned lifters use single- or multiply suits in competition.

The intensity is likely raw lifts done relative to a suit PR. At least most of the mentioned lifters use single- or multiply suits in competition.
oh okay, so what do you reckon you would add to those percentages to make like for like?

oh okay, so what do you reckon you would add to those percentages to make like for like?

Hard to say. It's really individual how much the equipment helps. Personally, I typically don't bother with programs of geared lifters.

It appears the program is meant to be followed for several months and the intensity goes up so there is some degree of starting low enough to be safe.

@Ignignokt
  1. The deadlift can be trained frequently also. It's a bit more fatiguing because more muscles are used and it's held in the hands. The driver for fatigue management is volume. I think a decent rule of thumb is to use 1/3 the volume of squats. I.e, if you squat 3x3 @ 75%, deadlift 1x3 @ 75%. The daily dose deadlift program is an example of high frequency deadlift training.
  2. I wouldn't worry about heavy singles more than once per month. You can still get an RPE 8-9 with lighter weights. That's why a lot of successful programs utilize an AMRAP set for the last set. If you do an AMRAP set, I would make it at the last day prior to a rest day with your highest intensity for the week.
  3. Only recommendation would be to pick a program and stick with it until it stops working for you. Only modify for specific reasons if you know why and the outcome of the modification.
Nice progress! Welcome to the forums.

Yeah I Know the intensity looked low - that was the first thing I thought - which is why I jumped directly to 3x3 and skipped the 2x5 step. I had originally contemplated bumping the intensity up to 85/70/80/65/80 but decided against it based on the suggestion of the article to be more conservative, though I might go ahead with it next cycle after all.

Actually, I have already read prilipin's chart even though I omitted it from my first post for brevity's sake. IMHO I take his chart with a grain of salt for the following reasons
1) those are olympic lifts he is describing, not squads/DLs etc for which the optimal dose will be lower to to the eccentric phase.
2) by prescribing an across-the-board optimal number of sets and reps he does not adequately account for training age - an advanced trainee will require more work than a novice for example.

However I think his basic postulate is sound, namely the total volume needed to optimally disrupt homeostasis varies decreases as intensity increases. If we we assume more generally, controlling for the lifts in question and training age, that the optimal number of lifts at >90% will be about half of the optimal number at 80%, then a ramping layout of 90/92.5/95/90 might be a suitable replacement for the 80% while allowing me to better simulate the heavier singles I will be engeged in every third week

anyway, given that I am low-bar squatting, and especially considering I am likely to increase the intensity, I'm still wondering if I should continue deadlifting as I do or should I increase/decrease the volume. for some routines that are very high in squat volume, like the texas method, I know Rippetoe literally has 1x5/week @ 90% of 5RM...

EDIT: *due to* the eccentric phase. also my squat jumped from 275 to 315, not 265. Still I was taken back a bit

EDIT#2 Unicorn you must have posted your response to my DL inquiriy while I was writing my previous response because I didn't see it beforehand. I think I might roll with that.

Hello,

There is no issue working on DL almost daily, as long as you do each repetition with plenty of "intention" and while you are fresh.

I would do at least twice this amount as far as squat goes (still on an almost daily basis then).

The DDD works well with kettlebell press. But if you still want to train daily, following another rep / set frame, then the above protocol is excellent

In all cases, you will practice very few lifts but will do them fairly heavy and very often.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hard to say. It's really individual how much the equipment helps. Personally, I typically don't bother with programs of geared lifters.

It appears the program is meant to be followed for several months and the intensity goes up so there is some degree of starting low enough to be safe.
Back in the day I squatted 165 raw and 195 with gear. And I reckon the help should have been more. That's 18% increase, and in the other way 80% of geared max would be 155. So I don't think so. Raw result was without peaking, but that's not really a factor.

I think the program in OP is quite good, it's 5x a week. I might change one 75 to 85. That is close to limits though.

Alright so as for the obligatory primer on me, I'm almost 30 but still feel 22 and am physically injury free, though I think I have mild ADD. Anthropometrically I've been described by my doctor as proportionally having slightly longer limbs than average, but not that much. I'm about average height and I look really slender but I'm about 175 lbs which is a bit much for comfort - I might be fat on the inside :(

So long story short, I read a bit of what Pavel write about the benefits of training with a higher frequency and wanted to try it out. However, I don't think I found the PTTP routine and didn't want to buy the book, and I didn't want to do "easy strength" either because if I recall, you do the same thing basically 5x/week for like 40 days or something and according to Charles Poliquin the body can adapt to a stimulus after as little as 6 exposures, so I wanted to wave the load up and down a bit. Also I'm not stupid enough to try the "bulgarian" method as I have always done better with low-bar squats and even Cory Gregory, despite his work capacity, only does high bar every other day or something in his routine, to say nothing of LBBS every day.

Before you ATG fanatics attack me, I have good natural hip mobility and I wear shoes with a slight heel, such that even with LBBS I can go quite deep without lumbar flexion and my knee angle is only slightly less than my HBBS - a small price to pay IMHO for the improved stability, consistently straight bar path, reduced risk to my C7 vertebra AND higher percentage strength gain over a given time frame.

Enter the norwegian method: I found this article here and decided to give it a whirl. He says it works for beginners as well as more advanced lifters

so basically in the famous norwegian frequency project, powerlifters who dispersed their workload over 5-6 days instead of 1-2 got bigger and stronger, due I think to keeping the body in a continual anabolic state (testosterone levels go down after like 48 hours post workout or something like that if I recall)

My current routine is as follows (note: I wasn't about to do the 2x5 he suggests here - that would put me to sleep).

week 1-2
mon: 3x3@80%
tue: 3x3@65%
wed: 3x3@75%
thu: 3x3@60%
fri: 3x3@75%

week 3: same as the first two, except retest your 1RM on monday and base the following percentages off of that. (Note: to ensure poundage accuracy and not fry your CNS, you should stagger the weeks such that you do not max on two exercises in the same day/week.)

Much to my surprise - I made some of the fastest gains in my life. My squat jumped from 265 to 315 over the first cycle! And I was never particularly sore either!

Could I have gotten similar gains from other routines? Probably. But if I get the same gain by working smarter not harder, I'm all for it. Also I have a gym at home so the frequency isn't an issue even in a pandemic. if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and yes I'm fully aware of using "max tension" even with light weights too.

So here are my questions: I'm off to a good start for the time being I think, but some improvements need to be made.

1) what do you all recommend for deadlifting during this? The DL is notoriously hard to recover from, especially when squats are factored in, and I'm told one shouldn't test a 1RM on it more than a handful of times per year. Right now I'm simply assuming that my DL is at least as much as my LBBS (which seems safe given the leverages/muscles involved) and whatever I do for 3x3 on a given day for squats, I do 1x3 of that exact same weight for DLs. After this cycle is over I'm debating whether to either just add 10 lbs to my max and base my percentages off of that, to simply use whatever I use for the squat as before, or perhaps do a 6-10 reps max test and estimate my 1RM based on that.

2) there's a powerlifter by the name of Mike Tuchsherer who uses heavy singles at 8 RPE in his routines to better train his lifters for maxing out in competition - something I was a little concerned about given that my training loads are 60-80%, and I enjoy 1RM testing occasionally even though I'm not a PL. He says it's the adrenaline more than anything else that taxes the body and as you lift near-max weights more often you get more confident under load and thus it's less taxing: I'm wondering if I can replace the 80% day with a single @ 8-9 RPE and maybe do a backoff triple or two if needed to maintain volume.

3) eventually my body will get used to this routine, although there are certainly other norwegian-style routines out there. Anyone else have any success stories/recommendations?

Ok so a couple of things.
1, the Norwegian study has never been perr reviewed. So we cannot confirm whether it is a good quality study. Based on this I like many assume it is a poor study until we are proven otherwise.
2, the Norwegian method from my enquiries there isn't an official "Norwegian method." Like everywhere they use many different methods from westside style conjugate to Korte 3×3 to step loading to Sheiko programs.
3, you probably made such rapid progress because you exposed you body to fresh stimulus. Therefore creating great adaptive responses.
4, the pull from the floor is very taxing on the CNS. The Norwegians I know who work in conjunction with a coach will only pull from the floor once a week. Preferring for easier variations as well as a lot of back raises, GHRs and more recently reverse hypers.
5, the Norwegians I know still do a lot of core, posterior chain, upper back and tricep work. This is especially important as single ply powerlifting is still quite popular (although raw may have surpassed in popularity since I last spoke to them) so lockout strength and the ability just to handle the extra weight. So adjustments to your lifting style would be necessary.
6, a lot of close variations of the lifts are used and tracked too, weaknesses depending. If you are struggling to lockout (common problem as single ply is popular in Norway) you may incorporate CGBP, board press, branded bench press as well as isolation tricep work.

Some of this info maybe out of date. So take it for what it is worth.

In regards to Mike Tusherers RTS system, he advocates avoiding getting hyped up for heavy lifts as it is neurologically draining. But he still programs heavy lifts in a calm state.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom