Nose breathing for base building

Discussion in 'Other' started by Karl, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:07 PM.

1. Karl

Karl Double-Digit Post Count

Last year I utilized a HRM to run at my MAF rate (180-46). I was really impressed how my annual attendance at the 10 mile pear blossom run went after 4 months of MAF pace running. Considering I never exceeded my MAF prior to the race, I effortlessly kept an 8:30 pace. Not fast by any means, but it was easy.

I noticed I could nose breath easily for my MAF pace. Could I just nose breath to set my base building pace instead of messing with a HRM?

Long story short I left my garmin chest HRM in a hotel. Now I dont want to buy another. I will because MAF did me right. Just wondering if i could simplify and let my nose set the pace.

Karl

Oscar likes this.
  2. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

Nasal breathing is trainable. WhenI first started, I could use it to stay under MAF. After a few months, I could easily go much higher before feeling the need to mouth breathe. My advice is to stick with the HRM.

kiwipete, JonS, strawdog and 3 others like this.
  3. jef

jef SFG1, SFB Certified Instructor

As @vegpedlr wrote, nose breathing is trainable.
    I am still nose breathing with a HR close to 180, so it won't be a good indicator for MAF running.

By the way, it is still a very good idea to go into nose breathing (in and out) all the time for an amateur athlete.

Bret S., offwidth, strawdog and 2 others like this.
  4. Karl

Thank you for the input.

I have gone for runs this winter where I didn't look at my watch, just ran a comfortable pace while nose breathing. I was over my maf by 10 to 20 bpm. So I guess I answered my own question. Go buy another chest strap.

Funny thing is hiking/rucking with 70# is easy to keep under my maf at an easy nose breath. But I've been a professional hiker with a weighted pack 6 months a year for a long time.

Karl

5. Oscar

Oscar Quadruple-Digit Post Count

+1 to Jef and Vegpedlr. I can nose breath way above my MAF. If you dont have your HRM, I think your best guess is running speed, as long as you are in flat terrain. Otherwise, you can probably go by feel after 4 months, right? And in doubt, go a bit slower.

Karl likes this.
  6. Bret S.

Bret S. Quadruple-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

Nice!

7. wespom9

wespom9 More than 500 posts Certified Instructor

I think learning to nose breathe during recovery, as well as during aerobic activity has been one of the best insights of the last 3 years for me.

8. Bret S.

Nose breathing exclusively for the last few months has made me better at nose breathing, and has made my nose clearer and more efficient. I haven't been forced out of it by training since I started, and yes, I can nose breath well above MAF so the HRM is needed during LED.
    In the beginning I would catch myself trying to take a 'stress' mouth breath, now I don't get the urge at all. My concentration is on using less air while at rest or during training.

9. Bill Been

Bill Been More than 500 posts

Being able to to nose breathe at a high heart rate, plus $2.39, will get you a cup of coffee.

Bret S. likes this.
  10. North Coast Miller

North Coast Miller Quadruple-Digit Post Count

Have recently gotten to where I can nose breath through my HIIT repeats.

I still have to suck a breath or two right after I stop each interval, but is just a matter of time before that will no longer be necessary either.

When I started doing these I couldn't even breath through my mouth with any sort of rhythm during the working intervals.

fractal and Bret S. like this.
  11. psmith

psmith Double-Digit Post Count

I've heard it said that it's a useful skill for combat sports so you don't get hit while your jaw is slack and break something, though I don't know and this is in any case a pretty niche application.

I think this is a fairly common experience for bigger guys and those of us without a running specialization background.

12. vegpedlr

vegpedlr More than 500 posts

Noses are for breathing, mouths are for other things. While using the right tool for the job isn’t always necessary, it usually works better.

Karl and fractal like this.
  13. Bret S.

McDonalds has decent coffee for $1.19 ROFL

Lee likes this.
  14. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Dir. of Community Engagement Staff Member Senior Instructor

Nasal breathing will, for most people, enable you to calm yourself quicker, return to a target recovery heart rate quicker, etc.

One can learn to nose-only breath with a very high heart rate so, in that sense, one cannot necessarily take the ability to breath nasal-only as an indication that one's heart rate hasn't gone very high. I have done nose-only breathing, through practice, with my HR at max. It's not particularly fun but it can be done.

-S-

strawdog, Karl, fractal and 1 other person like this.
  15. Steve Freides

That depends on what you mean by "decent." :)

-S-

JonS, kenaces, fractal and 2 others like this.
  16. Bret S.

Nasal breathing encourages belly breathing too, while sucking air during karate classes I was taught from the start to nose breath, stand up straight (no hands on knees) and belly breath for fastest recovery. That's been my go to for 32 years now, the last time I was forced to mouth breath was doing VWC snatching for 40 mins in temp 100 F. I'm really enjoying A+A with LED, it's a game changer and my recoveries are much better.

fractal and Steve Freides like this.
  17. Bret S.

Ummm.. has caffeine? :D

18. Karl

Bret S. likes this.
  19. Steve Freides

You're talking to someone who home roasts his own coffee here. Just sayin' ...

-S-

20. Bret S.

That would be my preference too, but on the fly McD's coffee is a good source, I won't pay for starducks, their coffee has a burnt taste I think.

My dream is to live on the Big Island on the Kona Coast. Kona is my absolute favorite coffee, especially fresh stuff there and delicious tasting, smooth and not acidic.. (y)