all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nose breathing for base building

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just wondering if i could simplify and let my nose set the pace.
absolutely. Nose breathing is one thing the amount of air you move is the other the higher the intensity the more CO2 builds up and oxygen is needed, to cope with it you have to breathe more.

Experiment with different breathing patterns: breathe in for say 4 steps, out for 2. This can be done at a comfortable pace. when you go faster, this pattern will get hard to maintain as you build more CO2 which "wants to get breathed out" then you shift from aerobics a bit more to anaerobics. When I am at MAF I already have to breathe considerably harder than I would have to at my preferred relaxed running/rowing.

Breath Control During Exercise – Be Well and Strong

I wish I never got a taste for good coffee. Now I'm 'that guy' who's too picky to drink coffee at 95% of places
Well... there's coffee for enjoyment (like the one I have in my hand now), which I'm also picky about but probably at the 98% level.
Then there is medicinal coffee. And that includes creepy coffee from some gas station along the Alaska highway...

When I am at MAF I already have to breathe considerably harder than I would have to at my preferred relaxed running/rowing.

I have a long ways to go to be where you are running and an amazing aerobic base. Hopefully following your model of a+a snatches / s&s heavy swings with maf running and rucking will get me to that level one day. I might try the 4 steps in 2 out this week, even if its above my maf.

Thank you for your input @Harald Motz and contribution to the forum.

I might try the 4 steps in 2 out this week, even if its above my maf.
These numbers are a means to illustrate. Another way to put it is to do many steps into one breath cycle: kind of see how far you can get with a breath. Breathe longer in then there is more time for gas exchange and breath out sharply to expel the CO2 rather quickly.

above MAF there is the mysterious anaerobic threshold, there the breathing pattern changes to much quicker breathing and harder use of the breathing muscles.

I use a hr monitor almost anytime for rowing and running and thus have gained much experience how the hr corresponds to breathing and effort. And from my point of view knowing your breath is quite a good, most probably the best gauge in self regulating intensity.

Thank you for your input @Harald Motz and contribution to the forum.
thanks even more so for what you are doing as a firefighter, but much appreciated.

So I tried changing my breathing pattern during a weighted hike. It was harder then I thought. I took @Harald Motz 's pattern 4 steps in 2 steps out, and altered it to 5 steps in 2 steps out. I based that solely on a article in runners world that promoted breathing in on a odd number of steps to alternate which planted foot you are breathing in on.

Long story short I can definitely see being able to find the correlation between heart rate an ease of breathing within a pattern. I remember how hard it was to change to nose breathing initially, pattern change will be no different. I am going to have to spend many hours concentrating on breathing pattern to willfully change my current pattern. Next is to try this on a run.... Chest strap should be here this week, my fenix 3 hr does a horrible job when its cold out.

karl

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom