all posts post new thread

Nutrition Not stuck anymore...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LEGENDARY70

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello all.

i mentioned in here that i had been at 199 for about 3 weeks. granted i was cheating a bit during that time. I also incorporated intermittent fasting. I do the 16. Since two weeks ago and doing fasting, as of yesterday i am now at 185. wow!!! Hell yeah! thank you for all the advice.

my goal is my military weight which was 170. almost there.

i do have a question. when i hit 170. i do not want to gain the weight back. should i go on a 20-30 grams of carbs a day diet? right now i average approx. 5 carbs a day if that. what advice yall got? thx

i do not want to gain the weight back.
That.
Your diet has to be sustainable, i.e. something you'll be able to go with for years. It is through this diet you need to lose weight. If it's something temporary, once it's finished, you'll gain x weight back. Comfortable eating habits should be created slowly.
Losing weight through sustainable diet can take months to years, but it stays with you for much longer.
my goal is my military weight which was 170
Take into account different age, slower metabolism, it is usually harder to maintain the "youth" weight once over 40 yo.

That.
Your diet has to be sustainable, i.e. something you'll be able to go with for years. It is through this diet you need to lose weight. If it's something temporary, once it's finished, you'll gain x weight back. Comfortable eating habits should be created slowly.
Losing weight through sustainable diet can take months to years, but it stays with you for much longer.

Take into account different age, slower metabolism, it is usually harder to maintain the "youth" weight once over 40 yo.
+1

@LEGENDARY70 you may have mentioned this elsewhere but make sure you know your "why". Is 170 lbs a good weight for you at this phase in your life? If so, great and keep making incremental changes that build on it. You'll basically reach maintenance and find the right balance of eating to support that.

Reason I ask about the weight think is I recently went from 22% body fat down to 9%. Solid 4 pack and almost a 6 pack. Got down to around 153 lbs which was what I weighed in my 20s. I've relaxed my diet a bit and got back to 162 lbs, probably about 12% body fat. Even though there's less abdominal definition, my body feels less "stressed" with a little more fat reserve.

Something to think about.

Using weight as a goal can serve a purpose, but don't forget that there's a lot more to your body composition than just your weight. For example, there is only a 8 pound weight difference in this guy's body change, but he dropped down to 160 to lean out then bulked back up so there's a huge body composition change. Took 15 months for this change, so don't be in a rush.

1630707459319.png

To echo the advice you already have received, generally you just need to keep doing what got you to the weight you want to keep else count calories and maintain using that approach.
So if you did carnivore to get to 200 and got stuck if you add in IF it will probably stall out soon and then you keep doing carnivore and IF to maintain.
Even while doing all of that it isn’t a bad idea to track your calorie intake and get an idea of what your baseline is. So in the future if you would like to change your eating pattern you have a place to start with.

Question. I know coffee alone with not break my 16 hrs of fasting. But will bulletproof coffee break the fast. My wife makes me the coffee with butter and mct oil. thx

OK. but how does it break it? because of the butter?

Because butter has calories.

Coffee, by itself, has 0 calories.

Anything >0 calories is not a fast.

That being said, I wouldn't sweat it. 1 tbsp of butter, and the slow rate it metabolizes, is a rounding error; your net energy balance is what really matters the most.

Last edited:
Reason I ask about the weight think is I recently went from 22% body fat down to 9%. Solid 4 pack and almost a 6 pack. Got down to around 153 lbs which was what I weighed in my 20s. I've relaxed my diet a bit and got back to 162 lbs, probably about 12% body fat. Even though there's less abdominal definition, my body feels less "stressed" with a little more fat reserve.

Something to think about.

And I'm guessing you might be a bit stronger, too.

If you're natty, ultra low bodyfat percentages are not conducive to strength or total muscle mass.

I'm not saying one has to go full sumo, but bodybuilder "show ready" lean isn't actually good for strength and athletic performance.

I've read you can hit the same level of autophagy produced by a 24 hr. water fast with eating 25% of your calorie needs. A high fat coffee or two could easily fit in this range.

I've read you can hit the same level of autophagy produced by a 24 hr. water fast with eating 25% of your calorie needs. A high fat coffee or two could easily fit in this range.

So a -75% caloric deficit.

If I'm only getting 25% of my calories, I'm going to prioritize protein, not fat.

So a -75% caloric deficit.

If I'm only getting 25% of my calories, I'm going to prioritize protein, not fat.
Yeah, I don't remember if they used designated marco percentages in the study. Valter Longo uses something similar with his system, but he is not a fan of protein. My system is simple. A couple days a week I lower my intake considerably, and I always have good gaps btwn. taking in calories.

I remember this guy Matt Lalonde, I think he was a biochemist, on Robb Wolfs old podcast, saying that only consuming fat specifically would definitely put you into a state of autophagy. My $.02.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom