all posts post new thread

Barbell Novice lifter looking for feedback - barbell back squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides - thanks again for sharing your videos.

I set up my camera to the side (45 degrees from the front is tough given how narrow my workout space is), and have tried to focus on depth.

One of the best cues I ever heard for the squat was to squat as if you are accommodating a beer belly and it has to get between your thighs as you squat. Another great cue requires a partner and it involves the following 3 cues shouted by the partner…….
a#@! Means you didn’t push it back enough.
Legs! Means you didn’t let them track wide enough (remember the beer belly)
Chest! You didn’t keep your chest big. Johnny Pain came up with these cues in his book “The Greyskull LP”. Of course the latter cues require a partner who can actually see these faults.

@Sandman.84, as everyone else has said, these look much better.

One thing you might try to sort out for yourself is the combination of bar position on your back and your squat mechanics. The bar looks like a high bar position but your mechanics look like low bar - to me. There are good reasons high bar and low bar squats look differently, so it's good to pay attention to which you're trying to do.

-S-
Thanks @Steve Freides , I’m trying for high bar so I will def have to play around with the mechanics and sort that out

One of the best cues I ever heard for the squat was to squat as if you are accommodating a beer belly and it has to get between your thighs as you squat. Another great cue requires a partner and it involves the following 3 cues shouted by the partner…….
a#@! Means you didn’t push it back enough.
Legs! Means you didn’t let them track wide enough (remember the beer belly)
Chest! You didn’t keep your chest big. Johnny Pain came up with these cues in his book “The Greyskull LP”. Of course the latter cues require a partner who can actually see these faults.
Awesome, thanks @Kev

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom