all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Novice on Rowing Machine

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
I have been very interested in implementing a rowing machine in my program for quite a while. I have been doing one strength day, and one S&S day for conditioning; six days a week. I want to add a rowing machine for conditioning.

I have rowed a boat when much younger; paddled canoes, kayaks, and boards a lot, but have no experience on a rowing machine. I have found some good videos for drills, tips, and technique.

Anyone with experience on a rowing machine have advice on adding rowing to S&S or strength training for conditioning?

I was thinking pre workout on S&S day, while fresh. I can do 5min of drills, and start at 5 min rowing practice, adding time as technique improves, but open to any suggestions. Any advice on combining novice rowing with weight training would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on the Pete beginner plan since I bought my c2 in feb.

I think the best things you can do to get started are 1: row without strapping your feet in, which will ensure you 2: slow down. I do all my distance pieces at 20 spm, and with the drag factor low at 100. This has helped build a strong, quick powerful stroke - as opposed to sliding up and down the rail as fast as possible and getting nowhere.

I followed the Pete beginner plan this way doing all the distance pieces at 20 spm, and free rated the interval sessions.

Most weeks I just did the three weekly sessions and skipped the two optional workouts as I was also running 2-3 times a week and doing some sort of strength work - either kettlebell presses and goblet squats, or around 100 push-ups.

My rowing times have improved every single session and my skill and stroke has improved with it. I followed the plan for 12 weeks until I was rowing 10,000m easily. But as I have no intention of racing at this stage and am using the rowing to complement my other training, I have stopped following the plan for now and am rowing 1 easy 10km, 2 hard 30r20 sessions and 1 interval session a week (8 x 500m).

I usually split my sessions up and will row in the morning and either run or do a light kettlebell workout at lunchtime or do a heavier kettlebell session or push-up workout in the evening.

Though I have also many times rowed 8-10k then got off and done a kettlebell workout right after.

One of the things I've realised with all this is how much training it is possible to do, and how a lot of actual aerobic cardio training can really benefit not just life in general but also make kettlebell workouts a breeze.

@aussieluke Like the looks of Pete's Beginner Program. But, just looking to add 10-20 min of rowing to my regular training for conditioning. If I enjoy rowing and see gains I am open to a few one hour sessions per week. I want to start slow, practice daily, and build solid technique.

@Geoff Chafe I love my C2 and get a lot out of it.

Just one note of caution - I thought I had read recommendations on here (maybe from Pavel) not to do an exercise with significant spinal flexion (eg rowing or cycling) prior to swings.

I do my rowing late after kettlebells or on days when I am not lifting.

In that case I would recommend doing 10-20 minutes or as long as you can of steady pace, low rate (18-20SPM) work to develop a good strong smooth powerful stroke and build some aerobic base. Focus on a powerful stroke and a slow relaxed recovery.

Jumping on and thrashing about trying to do fast intervals, for example, will not help your rowing much.

Maybe do a few weeks of as much steady state work as you can and then try a 2k test at a higher stroke rate

@aussieluke - how do you find combining the Peter plan with strength training? The version I have seen is pretty high volume (certainly by the later weeks) - does it work alongside S+S or do you limit yourself to a couple of strength days a week.

I tend to do strength work separately from rowing when I can eg row in the morning and strength at lunch / evening.

My strength work since stating rowing has mostly been reduced to one-arm KB presses - usually 3-5 ladders of 2-3-5 with a 24kg. I will start using my 32 again soon.

OR

Push-ups- usually 100 - 150 or so reps throughout an evening, something like 7 sets of 15 or 5 sets of 20.

Currently two days a week I am running at lunchtime either 8 or 10km

I don't usually run AND row on the same day.

I also have a 16kg KB at work and once or twice a week I will do a light session of something like 3 x 10 goblet squats, 3 x 2-3-5-10 presses, 100 continuous snatches and a few windmills.

So some days could be a row in the morning, a light KB workout at lunch and 100 push-ups in the evening.

Some days a run at lunch and a heavier KB press session in the evening.

Some days I will row in the evening and then straight after do some KB presses.

After 12 weeks of the Pete beginner plan I didn't want to keep adding more and more volume so I am doing my own thing now - which is an easy low-rate 10k, one or two hard 30r20 sessions and an interval session such as 8 x 500m

I just want to say the idea of a 10k row sounds, to me, like swinging the beast did when I was learning with the 16kg. The idea of an easy 10k is beyond me!

The first time I ever rowed was also my first CrossFit workout six or seven years ago, and there's a reason I'll always remember. Or, perhaps more accurately:

NEVER-FORGET.jpg

3x500m rows for time. My first was 1:37, and I've never done one that fast since. :eek:

Kenneth Jay recommends 3x min intervals once a week @85% max heart rate in his beginner plan. It's part of a three workout per week plan though.

I'm looking forward to looking up Pete's beginner plan tomorrow.

10k on the rower is easy - you get to sit down the whole time! ...it's the 10k RUNS that suck for me!

But seriously, the difference for me between an 'easy' 10k at 2:10/500m pace and 10k at 2:02/500m, both at 20SPM, is a whole different world of hurt - and sweat.

@JamesO 1.37 / 500 m is brutal

When I do 10 km on the rower I stick with HR below 180-age (about 138 in my case), I tend to stick at about 25 spm and the rate starts at about 2.15 / 500 m and ends up about 2.40 / 500 m - that's my definition of easy. I tend to use them as recovery. Never tried to do a race pace.

10k on the rower is easy - you get to sit down the whole time! ...it's the 10k RUNS that suck for me!

But seriously, the difference for me between an 'easy' 10k at 2:10/500m pace and 10k at 2:02/500m, both at 20SPM, is a whole different world of hurt - and sweat.

10k is the normal runs I do on my rower daily. But, yes it greatly hurts if you do it differently.

[A moderator removed a link from this post.]

Last edited by a moderator:
when i was rowing i used intervals all the time

500m x 8 2r - first rep would be 1:45.0 and each one i would try just to beat it , by the last 3 reps i was hanging on for dear life

I used to enjoy 5k but anything more and it just became too uncomfortable

I used to do rowing intervals at the end of my deadlift and clean days. The nice thing about the rower is the lack of eccentric movement so you can hit the volume pretty decent and not suffer. I don't care for rowing as a LSD movement - too uncomfortable for me. I like all different kinds of intervals though.
  • 60sec work, 60sec rest
  • 500m, 1min rest
  • 10sec work, 10sec rest, 20sec work, 20sec rest...up to 60sec work, 60sec rest...back down to 10sec work, 10sec rest
  • 20sec work, 40 sec rest
  • 30sec work, 30 sec rest
I also like the 2k for a testing distance. Anything longer than that and other things like numbness etc. start to influence me too much - I just don't care for LSD on the rower.

This a great rower for a beginner (me). Easy to put together, easy to use, small footprint and I can still hang my clothes on it! The only thing I do not like is the monitor, it does not keep correct time so I wonder if the rest of readings are accurate, at the moment all I am interested in is the time so I have to use a separate timer. Shame to spoil a good piece of equipment with a cheap monitor, I think they could do better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom