all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Number of Swings in a Set - Is Fewer Always Better?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Steve Freides i would do the swings up to 20 reps even, if body composition is the goal then higher reps imo are better as there is more lactace.
But this is just my opinion, I've lost a lot of weight doing :

Dan John swing challange (so up to 50 swings)
VO2MAX (so 16 reps per swing /snatch)
strength matters challenge (20 swings in minute for 10 min )

24 kg feels pretty light to me. I think total session length has a bearing here, too - I was finished this session 4:15 after I started it.

Me, too - that's why I tried something different yesterday.

Generally, I press a kettlebell and deadlift a barbell as my strength training. I walk a few miles every day, and I stretch.

Two goals, both experiments because I feel great with a combination of strength training, stretching, and walking. Part one is to see if I feel even better with regular swings, and part two is to see if body composition, my deadlift, and other, vaguer health goals are better met with regular swings.

@rickyw, to return to your question, I'll give you my training day yesterday:

6:30 AM - short walk with my wife with Buteyko breathing: walking pause practice.

8:30 AM - 3 mile walk to and from the grocery store with Buteyko breathing: walking shallow breathing practice.

10:00 AM - 60 x 1h 24 kg kettlebell swings as described above: 15's on the :75, finished in 4:15, nose-breathing for all recovery, focus on waiting until the last minute to break at the hips, quickest turnaround at the back, driving the hips fully and explosively while I project force into the kettlebell, float and repeat.

Taught.

1:00 PM - Press - following a PlanStrong program I've drawn up for myself, averages about 80 presses per week and I spread it out so that I'm pressing almost every weekday.

1:30 PM - Deadlift - Daily Dose, Day #11. 275 lbs. conventional, double overhand grip, 5 singles on fairly short rests, whole thing took maybe 3-4 minutes.

Taught until 7:30 PM.

And I stretch and do mobility work in a GTG fashion throughout the day, little bits here and there.

-S-
If you are in the mood for trying something for the deadlift: Ive noticed that my deadlift, rack pull, and heavy quarter squating all seem to benefit from sandwiching a set of 2h swings in between sets. I usually do the set trying to stop on my most powerful swing, usually about 6-8 swings with a 32. Often I do a some of them as shadow/overspend swings. In this case I do not find hire reps helpful. (Sometimes I get excited and throw up some snatches, but that doesn't seem to help the bigger lifts at all.) Then I rest/visualize until I feel ready and lift. The other day I was on track for a ho hum practice with the heavy quarter squat supports. I put the swings back in and had a really great session.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom