all posts post new thread

Nutrition Nutrition and calorie intake during rite of passage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Amey Patil

Level 2 Valued Member
Currently On the rite of passage with PTTP deadlifts and squats on variety days .. 8kg jumps only ..
My question is Since there are 2 clear cut phases of Training with any bell ..
1st is getting stronger with longer rest intervals to increase volume and building up to 5 ladders of 5 rungs
2nd would be the compressed rest with higher volume since progression is important too ..

so what would the recommended food intake be in these phases ..
what my theoretical and newbie brain tells me is to be on a light deficit / maintainence calories in the first phase .. and a slight surplus in the second phase ?

would that be the right thing to do ? Or is maintenance calorie the recommendation ?

i do want to put on muscle but its generally said the ROP isnt a hypertrophy program ..

your recommendations fellow strong people ?

Currently On the rite of passage with PTTP deadlifts and squats on variety days .. 8kg jumps only ..
1st is getting stronger with longer rest intervals to increase volume and building up to 5 ladders of 5 rungs
2nd would be the compressed rest with higher volume since progression is important too ..

what my theoretical and newbie brain tells me is to be on a light deficit / maintainence calories in the first phase .. and a slight surplus in the second phase ?

would that be the right thing to do ? Or is maintenance calorie the recommendation ?

i do want to put on muscle but its generally said the ROP isnt a hypertrophy program ..

I wouldn't go to crazy with the calorie intake My main concern would be getting in at least a gram of protein for every kilogram of body lean weight you are carrying. Most of the time for me this just means adding a protein shake a day, possibly two. I wouldn't sweat your carb intake to much, if you feel you need a bit before training on a long, 5 ladder of 5 rungs day that would make sense to me but I wouldn't be worrying to much about it.

This is all based on your current way of eating of course. I tend to be higher protein with moderate fat and low carbs so I don't sweat protein intake too much. Hope this helps.

Eggs. Lots of eggs. Cheap, easy, and lots of ways to prepare them

what my theoretical and newbie brain tells me is to be on a light deficit / maintainence calories in the first phase .. and a slight surplus in the second phase ? ...i do want to put on muscle
Increasing Muscle Mass/Body Weight

Some of the keys to increasing muscle mass/body weight are...

1) Increase Caloric Intake

One of the keys to this is based on the,,,

The General Adaptation Syndrome

This from Dr. Hans Selye, PhD from 1923, is based how the body respones to something being exposed to something like a disease.

In a nutshell, the body either adapts and survives or you die.

This same process essentially occurs with training, diet, etc.

Periodizaton Training

The foundation of Periodization Strength Training is based on The General Adaptation Syndrome.

When introduced to a new training program, you make progress. However, at some point you body adapts to it. When adaptation takes place, progress stop.

When progress stops, backing off and starting a new training program, just start your progress.

The same principle applies to diet...

MATADOR Intermittent Energy Weight Loss Diet

Research determined that when a calorie restriction diet is undertaken, the body usually adapts in approximately two weeks.

Based on the information, research found the following ensured the body did not adapt: promoting continued weight loss.

a) Calorie Restriction: Consume a Calorie Deficit for two weeks.

After that two weeks change your diet to a...

b) Calorie Surplus: Increase your calorie intake.

c) Every two weeks alternated between a Calorie Deficit and Calorie Surplus.

The Reason

When in a Calorie Deficit, you metabolic rate drops to to accommodate you new lower intake of calories; that is when weight loss stops.

When you increase you calorie intake after two weeks, you metabolic rate increases to accommodate your higher calorie intake. You initially gain a small amount of weight.

However, after two week you then go back to a Caloric Deficit Intake. You end up losing the weight you have gained and losing even more.

Reseach demonstrated that his method enabled individual to lose more body fat and maintain more muscle mass.

MATADOR for Increasing Muscle Mass/Body Weight

The same principle works, in reverse, for increasing Muscle Mass/Body Weight.

You just reverse two week Calorie Intake approach.

a) Increase Calories for around two week.

then...

b) Decreaes your Caloris for around two weeks.

2) Consuming the right amount of Protein Per Meal/Serving

Diet Periodizition Program

The MATADOR Diet for gaining muscle mass/body weight or losing body fat/body weight approach is same principle as the Periodiztion Strength Training Protocol.

Caloric Intake Percentages

Drs. John Ivy and Layne Norton, independent of each other, determined that a variance of around 20% of caloric intake was the most effective for losing more body fat and maintaining more muscle mass or increasing muscle mass and adding less body fat.

2) Protein Intake

Research (Dr. Layne Norton and Donald Layman) determined consuming the right amount of protein per meal/serving produced an anabolic, mucle building effect.

Approximately, 40 grams of protein per meal/serving of quality protein was the most effective.

Amount of Protein Per Day

The recommendation of how much protein per day to consme is all over the place.

Based on my personal use and in working with other, I've found that around 1.5 to 1.7 gram per kilo of body weight is all you need.

getting in at least a gram of protein for every kilogram of body lean weight you are carrying.
Protein Intake

1) Lean Body Weight

Basing protein intake on Lean Body Weight is a good approach.

However, the issue is that very few individual are able to determine what their Lean Body Weight is.

2) A Gram of Protein Per Kilo

That is a little low, based on the research determining how much quality protein you need per meal/serving to trigger the anabolic, muscle buliding response.

As Norton's and Layman's research indicates, around 40 gram of quality protein per meal/serving optimizes Muscle Protein Synthesis.

A gram of protein per kilo of body weight, would not be enough for many individual to optimally trigger Muscle Protein Synthesis; the anabolic respones.

How are you determining your calorie needs ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom