all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Nutrition

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gunsmoke

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys need help.

I had recently dropped down from 241-169 in a little over four months. This left me with a skinny fat build I also loss a lot of muscle and strength. I was eating 1200-1500 cal a day. I am a 24 year old male.

so I decided I needed to get stronger. I have cut back on cardio I just do 30 mins worth 3 days a week and I do floor exercises.

I have uped my calories to 2500 just to maintain the weight however my weight has shot up from 169 to about 173-175 at 2400 cals I didn’t gain any weight. Should I drop down or should I just accept the weight gain. I know I feel better eating more but I did want to stay in the lower 170s

Agree with the strength goals question.... but also... What body will you be comfortable in? How big, how much muscle, what % BF, what weight on the scale? Doesn't have to be super specific, but I think it's helpful to be honest with yourself about generally where you might end up relative to these when and if you hit your strength goals. If the strength work is taking you somewhere that your brain doesn't want to be, you will sabotage your progress somehow. In general I think it's great if you can be accepting of body and weight changes that may occur in the pursuit of strength, but everyone has their own level of comfort with these things and so it makes sense to give it some honest thought so that you can align your goals as you work towards them.

@Gunsmoke, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

If you'll forgive a short rant - not directed at you, of course - because I think the quality of what one eats is at least as important as the quantity.
Me and my family buy most of our groceries from Whole Foods Market. WF costs more, but I feel - yes, I could be mistaken - that I can trust what I buy there. We only buy grass-fed beef, cheese from grass-fed cows, and the like. My feeling is that what we here in the US pay for food on average is artificially low, and that there is no better place to pay for quality than in what you eat. Well, except maybe for your strength training education. :)

A number of diet plans have a "cheat day" once a week that can help you maintain your weight over the long haul. I've adapted my cheat day to my competition lifting schedule: since I have to weigh-in on Friday mornings for Saturday meets most of the time of late, I make Fridays, after I weigh myself in the morning, my eat-what-you-like day, and I do my heavy deadlifts on Saturday afternoons.

Don't think diet, think lifestyle.

-S-

@Gunsmoke, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Me and my family buy most of our groceries from Whole Foods Market. WF costs more, but I feel - yes, I could be mistaken - that I can trust what I buy there.
I worked at Whole Foods in Pittsburgh for about 8 years. First in the prepared foods section then I ran the produce department. Our quality standards were amazing. For example... if we had conventional apples and organic apples, they had to be separated by barriers and if ONE of the conventional apples touched the organic apples at all we would re sticker the entire bin of organic apples as conventional because they had been “contaminated”. We would use a step process for organic cleaning and even clean the bins and shelves that organic produce went on so that it would be be completely “organic”.
A lot of care goes into the the highest quality natural and organic products. Money well spent in my opinion. :) and HONESTLY I would do comp shops at local grocers and the cost was never outrageously more for most things. Meat, maybe a little pricier but definitely only quality stuff. Most day to day groceries were not significantly more money.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom