all posts post new thread

Nutrition

I originally went the NASM due to its wide acceptance, but would rather hold the CSCS as it is more respected among serious athletes and focuses on movement dynamics. Downside to both is they don't accept StrongFirst for CEUs, but NASM does accept DragonDoor CEUs.
I've had StrongFirst courses approved by NASM in the past. You do have to pay $25 to have them evaluate it individually.

@Formovereverything, I think Brett's point here is that, for NASM and possibly other organizations as well, work done towards a certification with a different organization can't be considered continuing education for them and their certification. If they allowed this, it be almost asking a college you never attended to give you a degree because you'd done all the coursework for a similar degree at another college - really doesn't make sense.

TL;DR

OTOH, there are situations where this sort of "double dipping" is allowed, but my experience has been that the end goal of the two different things has to be significantly different. My example - here in New Jersey (and in other states as well), you can attend college to become a certified teacher in the public school system - you also have to pass some tests to earn the teaching certificate. But there is also an "alternate route" wherein you take a few courses and then they evaluate your college transcript and give you "credit" towards your teaching certificate. But this works because a college degree isn't a teaching certificate - they're two different things.

It seems like NASM is saying their certificate and a kettlebell instructor certificate are similar enough things in their mind that this kind of double dipping wouldn't be allowed.

-S-

I've had StrongFirst courses approved by NASM in the past. You do have to pay $25 to have them evaluate it individually.
I think that's the important distinction - a course that doesn't lead to a cert would be much more likely to be approved.

-S-

@Formovereverything, I think Brett's point here is that, for NASM and possibly other organizations as well, work done towards a certification with a different organization can't be considered continuing education for them and their certification. If they allowed this, it be almost asking a college you never attended to give you a degree because you'd done all the coursework for a similar degree at another college - really doesn't make sense.

TL;DR

OTOH, there are situations where this sort of "double dipping" is allowed, but my experience has been that the end goal of the two different things has to be significantly different. My example - here in New Jersey (and in other states as well), you can attend college to become a certified teacher in the public school system - you also have to pass some tests to earn the teaching certificate. But there is also an "alternate route" wherein you take a few courses and then they evaluate your college transcript and give you "credit" towards your teaching certificate. But this works because a college degree isn't a teaching certificate - they're two different things.

It seems like NASM is saying their certificate and a kettlebell instructor certificate are similar enough things in their mind that this kind of double dipping wouldn't be allowed.

-S-
Hey Steve, thanks for the comment. Not sure if you have seen the acceptance list from NASM, but they accept 2105 courses that are outside of NASM, which incudes individual courses and some certifications. Their wide CEU acceptance is part of their philosophy to present themselves as an industry wide organization.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, Anna helped me make up my mind :)

I think that's the important distinction - a course that doesn't lead to a cert would be much more likely to be approved.

-S-
I've had NASM approve both a course and a cert from StrongFirst and also USAW Lvl 1 which is a cert. I haven't perceived any distinction there. And there definitely doesn't seem to be any element of competition. Continuing education from any valid source is acceptable.

NASM Continuing Education

For future reference, the 2023 Albuquerque Strength Clinic will be October 28th.

It will be In-Person, Zoomed, and Recorded.

It is sanctioned with The NASM and NSCA; 0.7 Continuing Education Units/Credits for both organizations.

Other Personal Training Organizations can obtain Continuing Eduction: ACE, ACSM, ISSA, etc. However, the clinic is not Santion with any of these Personal Training Organizations, a $25 Petition to your organization is required to be paid to obtain CEC/CEUs.

However, for individual with those Personal Training Certification, the $25.00 Petition Fee is subtracted from the Registration Fee. Thus, eveyone pays the same for the clinic.

A Contining Education Certifcate is provide to those who attend in person or via zoom or record viewing.

The procedes from the clinic go directly to the Albuquerque Jewish Community Center.

This is provide an idea about the clinic...

2021 Albuquerque Strength Clinic

I've had NASM approve both a course and a cert from StrongFirst and also USAW Lvl 1 which is a cert. I haven't perceived any distinction there. And there definitely doesn't seem to be any element of competition. Continuing education from any valid source is acceptable.
I sit corrected. My understanding, which I got years ago from one of these organization - NSCA, I think - was that they wouldn't give CEU's for something that led to a certification.

-S-

I sit corrected. My understanding, which I got years ago from one of these organization - NSCA, I think - was that they wouldn't give CEU's for something that led to a certification.

-S-
Organizations like NASM, etc. typically will not give approved provider status or approved CEUs for "competing" certifications but they can and may approve them if petitioned.
Within the NSCA it used to be category A non-approved provider CEUs (but it looks like they have made some adjustments to the categories.

Back
Top Bottom