all posts post new thread

Bodyweight NW plus KB's

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

paths92

Level 5 Valued Member
Background:
24yo male, paramedic, no major injury history, currently following NW program (GTG for one arm pushups and pistol progressions). I have followed the program in the past with good results. The past year and a half or so my strength and mobility has somewhat declined I'm guessing due to too much program hopping and alot of sitting to, from and at work (1-1.5 hour commute one way). For general health/mobility I do original strength resets and hang from a pullup bar 2x/day and shoot for 10,000 steps a day (can't say I get to that every day). Goals are long term strength and mobility for work and day to day activities. I would like longevity and pain-free movement without injuries (Seems like almost every paramedic has a wrecked back/shoulders after awhile).

In the NW FAQ it says to add a "big pull" 2-3 times a week so I've chosen swings (S&S style) 2-3 times a week. In the article "the cost of adaptation" under the bodyweight section it also suggests TGU's 2x/week. I chose NW plus Swings over S&S because I like the freedom of being able to do bodyweight exercises anywhere and because of my long commute and long hours (12.5 hr night shifts 3x/week) I would only be able to do S&S 4x/week max instead of the "nearly every day" recommendation.

So my question is would it be beneficial to just go ahead and do S&S 2x/week like it says in the book if you are following another strength program? If so should I not do pushups on the days I do TGU's? Not interested in adding S&S to try to combine programs, NW is my main focus, just wondering if I am missing something by not doing TGU's as well?

Thanks

Assuming you have no shoulder issues and you're not going overboard with push-up volume, you're probably fine doing push-ups and TGUs on the same day.

That said, while the TGU offers many unique benefits, you could still snag some while remaining "naked" with segmental rolling, side planks, unweighted get-ups, yoga postures, etc.

Doing any pull-ups?

Hello,

@paths92
I do variation of OAOL PU (feet elevated + push up bar) and loaded pistols.

As a big pull, I do the 100 daily heavy 1H swings, as described in S&S

I use this combination for a while now. It works very well. It is short, efficient, does not burn out, doable everyday.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@paths92
As long as you listen to your body and don't go overboard I think a person can intelligently blend NW and some of the elements from S&S. Especially with your stated goals.
Pull-ups were also mentioned above. That might be something to consider. You are already doing OS which is worthwhile (but you could also investigate SJ/FS) Top it all off with some MAF aerobic work and you are all set.

Hello,

@paths92
As long as you have a "conditioning" part such as swings or snatches or clean & jerks two or three times a week, in addition to your NW training, you get a pretty "complete " - meaining strength and conditioning - training. It is truly a sustainable training.

Otherwise, if you do not want to do swings, you can do a 10 minutes EMOM protocol with snatches (5L + 5R, rest for the rest of the minutes). There is also this program, based on clean and jerk:
http://www.strongfirst.com/just-giv...-kettlebell-exercise-for-the-standup-fighter/

Kind regards,

Pet'

pushup can be done on the same day as your oapu, but doing them before or after your pushups will depend on how heavy your are doing the TGU. I prefer to use my TGU as my warm up then program my strength work then my conditioning.

but there are many ways it can be done.

Hello,

I prefer to use my TGU as my warm up then program my strength work then my conditioning
In that case, do you keep your GU "light" or "moderately heavy" ? I admire you doing GU as a warm up ! It is far more too technical for me as a warm up eh eh ;)

For instance, currently, what is more or less your current strength routine ? Is it a bodyweight based routine ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

My current program is a mix of BW and KB.
I begin my session with TGU and the weight and reps vary depending if it is medium, light or heavy training day.
example :
Medium day on Monday would be 3/3 x 2 TGU's with a 20kg
Light day on Wednesday would be 5/5 x 1 TGU's with a 12kg
Heavy day on Friday would be 1/1 x 2 (1/2 TGU's only to the tall sit position w/ 28kg)
Then I would proceed to my main strength goal skill or maybe two skills
currently OAPU's and weighted pull ups - the progression/volume is also based on the day
Followed by a lower body and core strength circuit - again varied by med/light/heavy day.
And finished off with a short conditioning of either swings/snatches or battling ropes.

So think of it like this
1. Warm up - can include mobility, foam rolling, or lighter movement in prep for lifting
2. Pure STRENGTH goal - strict strength, focus on form/technique... mastery of skill with long rest
3. Strength /Endurance goal -can include accessory work to main goal, or secondary goal while maintaining a skill
4.Endurance - can be desired length to improve endurance, or HIIT, or specific to maintain something like a snatch test (performed weekly - no longer feels like a test)

Hope this helps.
obviously there are many ways to program - this just happens to be my favorite and has produced great strength gain for my students.

If you wish you could even add some other exercises 2x/week each.
For example:

Mon and Wed:
NW + HSPU/pike press 5x5 or TGU

Tue and Thu:

NW + Snatches or Swings

Wed and Fri:
NW + Pullups 5x5 (weighted if necessary)

Okay, I've experimented a lot with this kind of stuff - NW and S&S and how to fit them together. This is what I think based on my own limited experiences:

1. S&S is better as it strengthens more muscles and is easier to do.
  2. I can still do the NW stuff pretty well because S&S keeps the same muscles almost as strong.
  3. It is easier to get a cardio workout from S&S than with NW.
NW fascinates me and it's a no joke way to get super strong, almost "gym-like" strong without ANY equipment at all! WOW! However, if you have kettlebells, it doesn't make sense to neglect them.

Having said that, while I can't imagine anyone really "hating" kettlebell swings, I could see some people taking issue with the getups as they can be tricky and even dangerous. In this case I could see you following the daily swing dose of 10X10 and then going into the Warrior Pushups for ideally 5X5.
As the guys here always tell me, it's all about one's own personal goals. I certainly see advantages to the pistol over the S&S exercises in how it develops the quads more, which are useful for hiking and so forth, but it falls behind the swings for pretty much everything else, hahaha.

What Pavel Macek wrote above seems like something I'd be inclined to do: just do NW like normal, but add in a good 10X10 swing session about 3 times a week, OR do S&S twice a week instead of NW, and NW the remaining days - which is the legitimate minimum for following S&S. If you're looking for a strict daily workout, well, there isn't anything wrong with throwing a few swings onto the NW workout, is there? Maybe 60?

Hello,

Lack of cardio work is the main "default" I find in NW. It can be by-passed anyway using some tips such as 1 OAOL per side, then 1 pistol per side, then 2 OAOL, etc... So the ladder can work more or less the same. So you are obliged to know this "tip"

Another ladder works well : ladder of 4 without rest for OAOL PU and ladder of 3 or 4 for pistols. If you can reach that without rest, or with minimum rest, it guarantees you a very decent minimalistic strength and conditioning training.

I noticed that NW maintains my strength and allows me to still do S&S when I get back my bell. So, if you do not have material at all, NW seems good.

However, if you manage to have a pull up bar, then:
OAOL PU, L-Sit Muscle Ups, Pistols and Brides, done as a circuit work very well. You might add HSPU as well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom