all posts post new thread

Bodyweight OAOLPU progression method?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
Disclaimer: I have not been able to find a thread dedicated to the OAOLPU, if I have missed it please ignore this post. If I haven't missed it, let's make a dedicated OAOLPU thread!

My goal for 2017 in the strength department is: OAOL-PU.

I have read the Naked Warrior (NW), and starting my 3rd read through today. However I do have some questions about achieving the OAOL-PU, which I have not been able to find answers to in NW or on the many bodyweight posts/articles on the forum. If I have missed something, please post a link to where I can find it.

In NW the method is Grease The Groove (GTG) 1-5 reps as many times a day while still feeling fresh before and after a set. Never to failure. And if GTG is not possible the many (including myself) have suggested Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT.

As many of us have figured out GTG is a great way of getting the CNS to work better for a move like OAOLP.
However is elevated OAOL-PU really the best way to go about it? In the NW Pavel seems to say yes. Gradually reduce the elevation until you are level with the floor.

This last week I have been playing around with both elevated GTG style OAOL-PU and the OAOL-Plank. And I am thinking of reducing the OAOL-PU elevated to perhaps only one set a day and switching GTG to the OAOL-Plank...and trying to feel the movement from this position, i.e. see how far I can get down to the floor while maintaining all the proper biomechanics. So far I have only been able to do a few centimetres, but I am optimistic that this method will get me there.

Further more; the ladder system in Strength Aerobics seems geared toward a skill you can do but perhaps just want to enhance the number of reps in. It's not really a method for learning a skill such as OAOLPU is it? I would say, if one is trying to achieve a skill such as OAOLPU then it's GTG or nothing! If GTG is not possible then use a more classic like 1xOAOLPU (of whatever progression) rest (2-3 min) try again.

My point is: An elevated OAOL-PU is something other than a on the floor OAOL-PU. And one would be better of doing some very easy elevated OAOL-PU and focus on the start position of the OAOL-Plank. Or that one can GTG in more ways than one, a static or semi static exercise like the OAOL-Plank is also an option.

How about you, how did you get from just hard to stay in OAOL-Plank and loosing balance, to achieving one legit OAOL-PU?

Best Regards
Jesper

Hello,

@somanaut
I did not use GTG to get the OAOL PU (but I did for pistol). I used my "own" strategy:
standard pu (I) > feet elevated pu > (II) > OA pu negatives (III) > OA pu partials (IV) > OA pu full ROM (V) > OAOL PU negative (VI) > OAOL PU partials (VII) > OAOL PU full ROM (VIII)

For steps I and II, I used a standard rep / set frame. I used 5 sets of max rep (avoiding failure).

For step III, I used 3 - 5 negatives (ES) every day. Day after day, I made them slower. I used singles

For step IV, I started about 3/4 height (so I did only 1/4 of the ROM), 3 - 5 times ES, every day. I used singles. Progressively, I extended ROM until reaching a full ROM. If this step is too difficult, it is possible to use a box or whatever, under your hand.

For step V, 3 - 5 sets of 3 - 5 reps. From time to time, I did only on set of max rep. In addition to that, I did a lot of core work (abs : HLR, dragon flag...)

For step VI, it is above all a matter of balance. So lift your feet and be sure your shoulder are parallel to the ground. Slowly get down. Use the same steps that III

For step VII, like step IV

Step VIII...you get your first one ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet'
Thanks for sharing your method. Did you switch to GTG for steps III, IV, V, VI and VII or was that one session with long breaks/assistance work in between?

@somanaut, many programs can work. I am fond of saying there are ten thousand good training programs out there and a million bad ones.

I am currently working on this movement again and have been for the last month or so. I'm only training once a day, and most days, so more of an Easy Strength approach, and so far, I am making progress.

-S-

Hello,

@somanaut
I only used GTG for a while for step V. I did that to consolidate a little my level and improve my technique. Otherwise, I train everyday as a daily dose. Only a few reps a day, never more. I rested as I needed (so I did not use a timer for e.g.)

Kind regards,

Pet'

GTG to the OAOL-Plank...and trying to feel the movement from this position, i.e. see how far I can get down to the floor while maintaining all the proper biomechanics. So far I have only been able to do a few centimetres, but I am optimistic that this method will get me there.

This is what I did. I followed NW GTG to the letter and once I completely owned the regular OAPU, I just started playing around with the OAOL plank and lowering myself. Also, I would do bottoms up, i.e. getting in the on the floor bottom position for the OAOLPU and practice building tension and getting up. Once I had the regular one arm in the bag, the OAOLPU came easy enough!

a million bad ones.
I've found them

@Steve Freides, I didn't mean to imply that GTG didn't work. It's simply that I was hitting a road block, and OAOL-PU advice is spread all over the forum. So perhaps a dedicated thread to exchanging info and methods could be usefull. I don't really know about easy strength methods.

@pet', so basically I seem to have skipped step VI and have been experimenting with VII it seems. Did you have max that you aimed for in step I and II before that you moved on? About singles, so you just took whatever breaks you needed, but was in one session and not miltiple sessions spread over the day it seems.

@D-Rock, thanks for the info. Good to know that I am not completely off the mark with regards to my approach.

I will also add that for me personally once I got the one arm, the strength was there. It was really the balance issue. The OAOL plank was great for learning that. For me maintaining balance from bottom position up is seems easier than from top down.

I have no idea where, but I seem to remember Pavel writing that if you own the top of the movement and own the bottom position, you own the movement.

@somanaut, yes, absolutely, a road block means it's a good time to try a different approach.

Easy Strength - 6-10 reps per day, almost every day, of a strength movement, all at least moderately heavy but all far from failure. @Dan John has written a book with Pavel on this subject and he also talks about it a lot on his web site.

For my 1A1LPU, I've been working at an elevation that I can pretty comfortably get triples with and can crank out a set of 5, then increasing the difficulty, stepping the volume down to perhaps 3 singles per day, and working to increase that volume again. But at each particular elevation, I go by feel - I only do more when I'm sure I can and I don't push it by planning to do xxx number of reps on a particular day.

-S-

Hello,

Did you have max that you aimed for in step I and II before that you moved on?
No I did not. It was as many moves as I could do with perfect form, avoiding failure. Basically, it is something like "failure - 1". Naturally, the number of reps reduces at each sets. Rest was short (30s).

I used these steps some weeks, without thinking to much. From time to time, I tested myself. If the III was more like a fall, then I got back to II.

Kind regards,

Pet'

However is elevated OAOL-PU really the best way to go about it? In the NW Pavel seems to say yes. Gradually reduce the elevation until you are level with the floor.

If I may suggest an alternative, I think it's better to work on the OAPU hard and really master it. The form shown in TNW is good, but it isn't as strict as possible. Ideally, you totally tuck your arms in, and really focus on keeping as straight of a body as possible. This will in turn, allow you to bring your feet in closer. I call this a "strict" OAPU. An example is given by Jim in this tutorial (he calls it, "Arm In" style). Note how straight he is, and how close his feet are:
One Arm Pushup « Bodyweight Strength Training « Beast Skills

Once you've built up to this level of OAPU proficiency, then you'll get the OAOLPU "for free". You'll just be able to do them. As Jim says, this strict OAPU is so close to a OAOLPU because if you pressed down with your unloaded foot, you'd fall to the side anyways!

That's another way to tackle it essentially.

Further more; the ladder system in Strength Aerobics seems geared toward a skill you can do but perhaps just want to enhance the number of reps in. It's not really a method for learning a skill such as OAOLPU is it?

I agree with that, yeah.

I would say, if one is trying to achieve a skill such as OAOLPU then it's GTG or nothing! If GTG is not possible then use a more classic like 1xOAOLPU (of whatever progression) rest (2-3 min) try again.

I had pretty good results training the OAPU 2-4 times a week, for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. Sometimes I did negatives. Sometimes I used my hand to assist me as little as possible. I don't think daily, submaximal training is necessary. Definitely possible to build up the strength on a more conventional routine.

Consider that the calisthenics community sees the OAOLPU as an beginner exercise. And for the most part, GTG is really mostly a concept in SF and not in other places. That should tell you that it's very achievable by many methods, as Steve has said.

Just my 2 cents

Or that one can GTG in more ways than one, a static or semi static exercise like the OAOL-Plank is also an option.

Absolutely.

My approach to GTG is something like 75% practice on the "easy" variation (perhaps in your case the elevated push-up) and 25% practice on the next hardest variation (the OAOL Plank).

Over time this shifts to 50/50 and eventually 20/80. At that point, it might be appropriate to shift to the next hardest variation set (perhaps OAOL Plank in the bottom position).

Hello,

My approach to GTG is something like 75% practice on the "easy" variation (perhaps in your case the elevated push-up) and 25% practice on the next hardest variation (the OAOL Plank).
+1

I would add that every training should less us fresh, the same way GTG or Easy Strength do.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@305pelusa, Thanks for all your input. Was very interesting. Just tried a few OAPU (had a client cancel at work, so used the massage table at lowest setting) elevated, and yes as you write the foot is actually hard to keep in the ground). I don't think that GTG is only in SF. I have used something similar for both Kendo and Ashtanga Yoga. Easy practise of the movement, and it was noticable in ordinary practise. Ofcourse it's not the only way to become better at or achieve a move, but it's a good allmost natural method.

@Zack, good point about using both method, an easy and a hard.

If I may suggest an alternative, I think it's better to work on the OAPU hard and really master it. The form shown in TNW is good, but it isn't as strict as possible. Ideally, you totally tuck your arms in, and really focus on keeping as straight of a body as possible. This will in turn, allow you to bring your feet in closer. I call this a "strict" OAPU.

Once you've built up to this level of OAPU proficiency, then you'll get the OAOLPU "for free"

Very good point. Thinking back this is probably what I "accidentally" did. At the time I was concerned about what the wide foot position would do to my feet, so I opted for a more narrow stance. I was very focused on engaging my lats and the active negative, my arm was very close. My OAOLPU came very, very soon after I felt I had owned the one arm with only a little practice with the one arm one leg plank and the bottom position.

@somanaut as several have mentioned above there are many options to achieve the OAOL-PU.
One important part of mastering this skill is to determine the sticking point.. example is it your strength, balance or tension leakage. If you would like to send me a video or post one here I can assess the movement.
Once you know your sticking point you want to program accordingly. I have programmed GTG for some and sets/reps for others depending on current level with the skill and the goal/time frame.
I personal am using Elevated OAOLPU's, on my Medium day, OAOL planks on my light day, and elevation (lower toward the ground) for my OAPU heavy day - to regain my solid OAPU after having a surgery that weakened my core. This is allowing me to find any compensations that my body is allowing, plugging those wholes with tension and strength and the advancing accordingly.

GTG is best when only using it for two skills at a time.

Best of luck in your journey.
Karen Smith
my email should you decide to send a video is
karen.smith@strongfirst.com

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom