all posts post new thread

Kettlebell OAPU carryover to push ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CJ

Level 5 Valued Member
I have testing in about two weeks. I have been practicing my OAPU progressions. I know it is likely not enough time to do ladders/ traditional methods for building volume. Are the OAPU's going to provide enough carryover to my push ups? It is max effort in 1 min. 23 being the minimum. I have not had such short notice like this before. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks

No, I can get the minimum. I don't really do push ups for reps or time regularly because I really don't have a use other than for testing on occasion.

So...you can pass the test (albeit at the minimum). I think you have maybe answered your own question. Now, if there is a reason to score highly on the test then, that's maybe another question.

I have been doing OAPU progressions for a bit this summer as I have been traveling a lot and they are convienent to do. For grins the other day I did some regular push-ups. They weren't as easy as I had thought they might be.

Yes they don't exactly carry over to each other. The better you are at regular push ups (hollow position) though the better your OAPU will be.

FWIW I've personally found that getting better at OAPUs (of which my rep max is perhaps about 15), has made two armed pushups easier; I hadn't tested my two armers in several months (when I could do 47 in two mins), but the other day I tested myself and got 65 in the same time frame. They felt good. Just my experience though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom