all posts post new thread

Bodyweight OAPU - causes for foot slipping?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@mightstone2k
First off, congrats for taclking such difficult progression ! You already seem to have a good core tension because you do not twist.

Regarding the foot slip: are your hamstrings fully contracted ? What about the knee lock (perfectly straight leg then) ?

Something helped me: visualizing some kind of "bow" between my toe and my arms. This forces the body to fully contract the leg and the core to "make the toe and the hand closer" (even if, from the outside, there is no demonstration of it)

Kind regards,

Pet'
Pet',

I doubt that my hamstrings are fully contracted. Mentally, I usually focus on packing the shoulders, "shortening" the distance between my sternum and navel, pinching a coin with my glutes, and gripping with my fingers. The rest of my muscles generally fall into a "BRACE HARDER" footnote in my brain.

I'm definitely not seeing the tucking of the pelvis that is taught at SFB courses. "Point your belly button towards your face" is one cue. When you get tight in the top position, REALLY contract the abs hard into hollow position and shorten the middle front of your body. So it's not just bracing, as you would do for other movements, it's actively shortening the abs to bring the hip bones towards the bottom of your ribcace. This will get you more full-body tension.

You could also practice keeping the shoulder down a bit more by engaging the lat harder. It doesn't shrug up very much, but it does move up towards your ear and forward towards the ground just a bit as you lower down. Work on keeping it packed hard and NOT MOVING throughout the push-up. Often people have to go to an easier regression to get this right, but as you work back to previous positions it will be stronger.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom