all posts post new thread

Nutrition Obesity Has A Simple Solution - Eat Less

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

@kudo_kb these were the main articles I had in mind that I was going to post in response to you but I was beaten to it!

Eat less? Not necessarily. Eat better.

My obese friends on diet are frightened by the amounts of food I eat. They shouldn't be - they should pay attention to what kind of food I eat.

Me as well haha

As far as "calorie is a calorie".... I've posted this before but I'll post it again - eating 2500 calories of well partioned carb/fat protein and going down to 2000 calories but with the new 2000 calories all being donuts, muffins and cookies, I very much doubt someone will lose weight. I am 100% with @Pavel Macek on this one, it is absolutely about WHAT it is. Cut down (or out) added sugar, don't eat processed food and magical things happen

Eat less or if obese....and obese in the extreme.....not at all!...

Scots obese bloke who didn't eat for a year back in 1965. Makes you wonder why the NHS or health care services elsewhere don't take this up for treatment plans, instead preferring gastric bands and surgical interventions.....and of course weight watchers and calorie counting, still.....

A year without food › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)
......there is a more elaborate PDF on this case, search and ye shall find, with all the science and blurb.

Eat less or if obese....and obese in the extreme.....not at all!...

Scots obese bloke who didn't eat for a year back in 1965. Makes you wonder why the NHS or health care services elsewhere don't take this up for treatment plans, instead preferring gastric bands and surgical interventions.....and of course weight watchers and calorie counting, still.....

A year without food › Dr Karl's Great Moments In Science (ABC Science)
......there is a more elaborate PDF on this case, search and ye shall find, with all the science and blurb.
From that article:

He did not eat any food, but the staff gave him yeast for the first 10 months ...
Yeast?

-S-

• I've come to believe that the more we focus on food and think about it and read studies, etc., the harder it is to deal with it rationally. I've tried to go back to way it was when I was a kid- we got fed something, we always left the table wanting more (big family), Mom always said "wait til lunch" (at breakfast) or "wait til dinner" (at lunch) and we just got busy and forgot about it til then. So, I agree with OP- eat less, stay busy, and don't obsess about it.

Hit the nail on the head. I have found patience is the required virtue to successful dieting; without it, you are guaranteed for disaster. That's one of the reasons I like fasting because patience is like a muscle and fasting exercises it. I have to adhere to strict discipline to my diet because I'm genetically predisposed to being big. I see old turn-of-the-century photos of my family in Wisconsin, when they were probably surviving on acorns (ok maybe not that desperate) in the winter, and they were still big people; thanks to those Scandinavian peasant genes.

We live in an unusual time when food is always there. We can eat like Henry VIII; back when Henry VIII was king, only a king could eat like Henry VIII; now us "knaves" can eat like him. Excuse me as I get on my soapbox, but I'm convinced that fasting is a normal human experience, and never missing a meal is abnormal. In almost all religions and cultures, fasting was hailed as a virtue. It was not only practical, as you're not using up your storage, but beneficial. The Book of Isaiah comments on fasting and mentions that it will make your "bones strong", which suggests to me an inside-out kind of wellness.

I fast because I know that I have an efficient machine, and constantly feeding it will bog it down. I don't want my chassis to outgrow my engine.

Eat less, stay active.

I don't believe most people have an instinct for their weight and image that links to eating habits. Its easy to maintain a weight if you pay attention to how you feel, how your clothes fit, and the odd critical glance in the mirror, and tie that back to how much you eat, especially re portion sizes.

Also, abundant real-world role models for getting large, not as many for staying fit. Most people hardly understand nutrition or comprehend how many calories can be packed into useless little tidbits.

I've intentionally thrown my weight around over a 40 lb span. It really is calories in vs calories out with a bit of activity and some common sense re when those calories are consumed. The most surefire way to lose weight is go to bed hungry. Want to gain weight, go to bed full. Not exactly that simple but not much more complicated either in a general sense.

One other thing I've noticed - once one hits a stride the pounds come off easier and easier, lean mass is always difficult to gain once you get above your naturally inclined weight.

@Abdul Rasheed
Whatever has high density of vitamins and minerals also known as superfoods. Leafy greens and cruciferous veggies, berry and citrus fruits, nuts and seafood.

Avoid non-nutritious calories?

It's possible to get all your protein/carbs/fats and still be deficient in vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, etc.

When my T-levels were low, my bodyweight didn't drop no matter what I did.
I can attest to this as well. My T has gone through some very tough times and body composition follows it. The best ways I've increased it are, more: sleep, cruciferous veggies, fats, deadlifts.

I can attest to this as well. My T has gone through some very tough times and body composition follows it. The best ways I've increased it are, more: sleep, cruciferous veggies, fats, deadlifts.
Yes. Next time when my levels dive, I'll try Steve Freides' twice a week program; deadlift 2X3 and overhead press 2X5. And of course with Warrior Diet or intermittent fasting.

They have mail in tests I think but a test from your general practitioner or an endocrinologist would be best. It fluctuates through the day also, so always try to have it tested at the same time of the day. It's highest in the morning.

western world does haveca problem - food that is energy dense is so prevalent that its easy to over consume even if the volume of food is restricted.

think one of the studies I always felt hit the nail in the head was one by prentice and jebb in 1995 (i think - was a long time ago looking at these at university) and the concensus was food intakes from 1930-40s wasnt that different to the 1990s but the biggest issue was we just moved less.

in Britain I am amazed at how little people walk - work, commute, leisure its all very static activities sat on your bum. every modern house seems to have ways to decrease the physical effort required and it all adds up.

I agree its simple to lose weight nut not easy - both out put and intake require large shifts in mentality to adjust to get into a lifestype which will both lose and keep off weight.

some off us are lucky in that we have built lifestyles which make this easy and myself personally have no problems adjusting my bodyweight up or down 10-12kg either way - most people could only dream of this as they don't have a clue what to change in their diet/lifestyle.

in my mind the first step is measuring things - steps, food intake etc. what you measure you can manage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom