all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Obliques WSW

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Im out

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been progressing through Hanging leg raises, from knee raise up to straight leg, toe to bar, with good results.

Lately i was wondering if i should add a twist to my routine for obliques. I found 'Windshield Wipers' and was wondering about your experience with this exercise. Asuming some of you have tried these. Should i learn these if my goal is Strength?

I've been progressing through Hanging leg raises, from knee raise up to straight leg, toe to bar, with good results.

Lately i was wondering if i should add a twist to my routine for obliques. I found 'Windshield Wipers' and was wondering about your experience with this exercise. Asuming some of you have tried these. Should i learn these if my goal is Strength?
Windshield wipers are great as they traction the spine.

In regards to the best twisting exercises in my opinion are jammer twists. Has huge potential for progressive overload.

If you only want a bodyweight twisting variation then twists from gymnastic rings are a great variation.

From Hardstyle Abs, Pavel says:
Do not bother with “windshield wipers”. They will not challenge your midsection but they will hurt your shoulders.
He goes on to describe doing hanging leg raises "JUST outside your hands" to help with obliques.

Yeah, that is one of the advanced progressions. I just thought I would mention that he definitely doesn't recommend windshield wipers, although your mileage may vary.
But its a great point. I will try Pavel's angled variation to see what happens.

From Hardstyle Abs, Pavel says:

He goes on to describe doing hanging leg raises "JUST outside your hands" to help with obliques.
As a counter point, athletes up to Olympic standard do this exercise, so do not rule it out from one source. I’d recommend trying it and angled HLR, see which gives you what you want.

Hello,

I agree with @MikeL

A progressive approach may work, to first strengthen the joints, tendons and ligaments. IMHO, it is possible to do, at first, a partial ROM (as mentioned, just outside the hands). After a while going slightly more outwards. Going full ROM "from scratch" may be more dangerous.

Eventually, everyone has to find what works for his body.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom