all posts post new thread

TSC October 1st TSC - Second-guessing myself

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

BrianBobb

Level 1 Valued Member
I signed up for the October 1st TSC, but now I'm wondering if I should have waited for next April. I signed up for the novice class, and here's where I currently stand with the tested events:

-Pull ups: I'm at 1 neck-to-bar pullup, and it's pretty close to a max effort to get it; I can't get more than halfway up for a second rep right now. I'm practicing singles almost every day, as well as ring rows for extra volume and just hanging from the bar to build up my ability to just hold my own weight.

-Deadlift: My best deadlift is a 285 lb sumo-style pull. I still feel like I'm progressing on this lift, and I'm pretty sure I can crack 300 by October 1.

-Kettlebell snatch: I've been snatching with a 35 lb bell for most of the summer, and started moving up to a 20 kg bell over the past 2 weeks. Left side is stronger than the right; I'm shaky locking out on the right side. I've been doing TGUs and one-armed swings (S&S workout) to strengthen my right shoulder in addition to the snatches.

I signed up for the TSC to have something to aim for and shape my training around, to have the experience of actually going to a competition, and to set a baseline for future TSCs, but looking at these numbers I'm starting to second-guess myself and think that maybe I should have waited until I got stronger. Is there generally an expected "baseline strength" standard for the TSC? I do feel confident that if I do it on October 1, I won't injure myself.

I'm 39 years old, 5'11, 185 lb. I got into strength training about 2 years ago to see if I could use it to get past arthritis-like symptoms throughout my body, and it's worked (most joint pain is completely gone), even if it's been slow going to build up my strength.

I've been reading the forums here for awhile, and have seen a lot of good posts and advice given, so what do you think. Press on to October 1?

Thanks,

Brian

There is absolutely no 'baseline of expected strength' - you compete with yourself, and your first TSC will give you your personal baseline from which you can grow.

Showing up puts you in the Elite category of human beings in my book - go for it.

-S-

Last edited:
My 2 cents Brian,

Don't second guess yourself. Your fellow competitors will respect you regardless of your numbers. You'll also find your fellow competitors to be very friendly and helpful.

You will also establish a baseline to compare future improvements with.

Please compete....you'll be glad you did.

Absolutely, go for it, Brian. You are exactly where novice division is supposed to be! Just do what you can do, it is a great experience. I did my first one in April in Colorado and will be doing October in Corpus Christi, TX. You will learn so much from yourself and others through doing it, and it is a lot of fun.

Yep, I'm with the rest, go for it! As Steve said, you compete against yourself. So you are setting the baseline for further improvement. I did my first one in April and it was a lot of fun and I met some great people. Even my wife thought it cool how everyone encouraged each other. Have fun and just do your best.

Wow, thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'll keep going, and do my best on the day.

I think I knew this all along, but I guess I needed to hear it from someone else.

Thanks again,

Brian

Great thread, Brian. I'm sure a number of people have had similar things run through their mind. I know I have. I was looking at the Spring results just last week when I was thinking over whether or not to enter. The Novice winner pull 650 pounds in their deadlift. I thought, "If that's novice, what am I?"

I want to make an important point about the TSC and scoring - it's about your local TSC first and foremost. You compete against the people at the same facility as you. The International/National aspect should really be secondary, and it's our way of bringing our community together world-wide, but aim to feel like you performed with strength, whatever that means for you, and enjoy the encouragement of your fellow, local competitors - and you don't really ever have to look up the results online if you don't want to.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom