all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Odd Pain When Doing Handstand Push-Ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JohnDoeman

Level 3 Valued Member
I am currently doing HSPU's with the most strict form possible. I am getting pain in the area around my Lats / Ribs (my sides). Feels a little like the muscle is getting overstretched / pulling off my ribs but how can that be with that movement?

It does not stop me from doing the movement or hinder my strength but its annoyingly painful and I want a way to stop it if anyone knows.

Hello,

@JohnDoeman
Do you perform freestanding HSPU or wall HSPU ? Are they in full ROM (for example with chairs) or "partial" (hands on the ground) ? I ask because I found free. HSPU more taxing than the wall version.

Do you practice another move which can interfere (or even hinder) the HSPU ?

In all cases, maybe it would be better to see a physio to be sure. Safetey first !

Kind regards,

Pet'

I do wall HSPU with hands on the floor. I also do pullups, abs rollers or hanging leg raise, box pistols, and head bridges. This movement is the only one that causes this problem. May just have to stop them even though I like doing them. I have tried varying my hand width, going closer or further from the wall... etc. The pain goes away quickly after I perform the sets and does not persist. Just really, really odd.

Took a while since Friday was a recovery day. I took a video but have no idea how to upload or embed it.

@JohnDoeman: Maybe facing the wall would allow you to stay more upright? It is a bit awkward to get in position because you have to walk up the wall. But this is how I learned to do handstands in Karate class :)

Looks good and strong to me, too! I don't see anything that might be causing your pain/problem. But I'm not much of an expert on this move.

Thanks all! I moved to a new wall where I could get closer / more vertical but that did not help. I think I am gonna drop down to a FTW pike press for a while and see if that helps.

What is odd is I have done this move with several other exercises so it does not seem to be another movement. Maybe the compounding stress on my Lats from Pull-Ups, Abs Roller (or Hanging Leg Raises) and the Headstand Press may just be too much?

Lastly, I am exploring that this may be a muscle knot thing that is oddly happening on both sides. Gonna try to explore that angle with a lacrosse ball (amazing little tool!).

@JohnDoemani exactly have the same issues while doing the pike push ups. Some kind of inconvenient pain in my left lats ?
Are you sure it's in your lats? Where in your body is it, i.e directly in your side, near your armpit, more on your back, in your ribs....?

I ask because some people mistake their serratus and other muscles for their lats. Also how do you perform your pike pushups? Elbows out or in? Does your head travel forward in front of your hands or not?

Are you sure it's in your lats? Where in your body is it, i.e directly in your side, near your armpit, more on your back, in your ribs....?

I ask because some people mistake their serratus and other muscles for their lats. Also how do you perform your pike pushups? Elbows out or in? Does your head travel forward in front of your hands or not?

I was also thinking may be the Serratus as well. Your technique looks great. Was it both sides affected or just one? Any previous shoulder injuries?

I thought serratus as well. Isn't the serratus heavily involved in overhead pressing?

I feel pike pushups in the area you describe. When I first tried dumbbell presses, after not pressing for a long time, my left serratus would cramp up something fierce but improved with practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom