all posts post new thread

Barbell OHP Issues When I Go Heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I haven't done them in years.

I should add I'm not a light weight, well over 200 lb, like 240lb. 225lb is not so heavy vs body weighf. It is approximately the weight where I need to start "trying" and focusing on maximum tension and straining (if that makes sense). The straining is what causes me problems.

I'm 100 kg / 220 body weight and once I get to over 2 plates, I'm either push pressing or jerking it.

Because jerk is a competition lift for me.

OHP isn't a competition lift for you. You don't have to do it heavy.

You're going to feel like a jackass if you can't bench due to being in pain because you went too heavy on a lift you don't need to do so on.

Take your ego out of the equation.

You can push it just fine with volume at a moderate weight.

And, in fact, if you've been mostly lifting low reps / heavy, the change will probably do you some good in terms of being a novel stimulus.

Give it a whirl for 8 weeks.

Please stop lifting heavy. There are no awards for a 225 OHP. Do higher reps with lighter weight. Or stop completely. It's not worth it.
I was going to say something, but these two already did it better.

Give me a couple days and I'll video some reps with the bar and with 135 lb. I have some other, power lifting related goals, over the next few days, that are a higher priority.
It might also help to video what you've been doing as far as KB presses (single and/or double) since they don't seem to irritate anything.

If you don't mind a couple questions... what does your kettlebell press training look like that don't irritate anything? Are you using 32-40kg bells for overhead pressing? Heavier (44kg, 48kg+)?

You're going to feel like a jackass if you can't bench due to being in pain because you went too heavy on a lift you don't need to do so on.
I doubt that lol. he can easily bench press 120 kg and above but most of the time he did like floor press with 80 - 100 kg. Then short walk. Then leg press and adductor machine work. Once in awhile maybe when Mercurcy retrograded he decides to bench with decent weight :cool:

I doubt that lol. he can easily bench press 120 kg and above but most of the time he did like floor press with 80 - 100 kg. Then short walk. Then leg press and adductor machine work. Once in awhile maybe when Mercurcy retrograded he decides to bench with decent weight :cool:

I'm just going by this:

- Sat: Bench press, 2 board bench pressing, barbell rows, DB hammer curls, tricep pressdowns

At the moment (example):
- warm ups uncle McGill big 3, Locke big 3, shoulder dislocates, and loaded carries. Lots of daily walking
- Fri: Barbell squat and deadlift training, pause deadlifts, and KB swings
- Sat: Bench press, 2 board bench pressing, barbell rows, DB hammer curls, tricep pressdowns
- Sun: Light aerobic stuff at a commercial gym: Treadmill, lots of machines like me press, lat pulldown, etc. Bodybuilder type stuff but very light. Ill do lots of overhead pressing with double DBs up to 75 lb.
Mon: Light barbell squat and bench press with bands
Tues: Walking lunges with 50 lb DBs, Barbell shrugs, chinups, 1 leg deadlifts, single arm rows, band face pulls.

I do arch and retract the shoulders while benching. I'm probably guilty of these things, to some degree. Being stuck I mean. The Locke big 3 mobility helps with some of this stuff...
I would include some stuff that lets your shoulder blades protract and open up your upper back. Unless I looked up the wrong thing, the Locke big 3 is even more upper back compression. Maybe try some scapular push-ups , or even light cable presses at your gym where you can let the shoulder blades move more. Anything where the scaps are allowed to widen across your back. It might not directly affect the OHP but it might help.

You might also try using a lighter weight and doing “rack scrap presses,” where you press the bar against the rack while you press overhead. Those feel great when my neck gets tight. Sometimes I just wrap a couple rags around the bar to prevent damage to it.

Maybe try some scapular push-ups , or even light cable presses at your gym where you can let the shoulder blades move more. Anything where the scaps are allowed to widen across your back. It might not directly affect the OHP but it might help.

Using Crossover Symmetry cables 2x-4x a week has not only helped improve my shoulder mobility, health, and patterning, it actually helped my OHP go up.

I have a question for the forum. Over the last decade or 2, I don't do much barbell overhead pressing (lots of KB pressing though). When I do, it is usually strict military press type form (meaning I have little backwards lean). I've never really done any serious barbell programs or serious training with the overhead press. Whenever I lift heavy (about 225lb is probably my limit), I usually end up suffering from severe kinks in my neck, tension headaches, and sometimes even minor pain that radiates to shoulders (rare but it has happened once or twice). If I train light (135 or 185 lb), this is not a problem. With heavy weight, I tend to strain a lot and my shoulders, neck, and trap muscles get so tight. Also, if I do stick shoulder dislocation excersises it seems to help quite a bit. Also, if I'm training barbell overhead presses, I need to be careful at night to sleep without a pillow (head flat).
And now for something completely different: :)

Get a coach. First, get medical clearance, then get a coach. Coach will help you figure out realistic goals, good paths to achieving them, point out changes you should make in your form, and more.

Too expensive? Meet only once every few weeks. Rather just do it yourself? Suck it up, buttercup. :). Remember that getting injured isn’t a problem, recovering is, and every recovery from the same injury is almost always worse in every way: takes longer and often it’s a little less complete each time.

-S-

It might also help to video what you've been doing as far as KB presses (single and/or double) since they don't seem to irritate anything.

If you don't mind a couple questions... what does your kettlebell press training look like that don't irritate anything? Are you using 32-40kg bells for overhead pressing? Heavier (44kg, 48kg+)?

Its been a a year or 2 since I've done doubles pressing. I don't own a 44. I have a 40 and 48 though. I usually train much lighter though. I can't do many reps with the 2 big bells. Too hard. Right now I do some single bell pressing. On Sundays, at Planet Fitness with wife, Ill crank out reps with the 75 lb DBs. They aren't too heavy. I know it isn't true, but I find pressing a DB feels heavier than pressing a KB of the same weight. Standing press. Sets of 5. This is my primary form of overhead pressing at the moment.

Ha! Yes if anything I'm known as a SLACKER. I typically lift at really low %1RM vs most. 50% - 70%. I rarely go above 70% in anything I do unless peaking (which is rare).

I would include some stuff that lets your shoulder blades protract and open up your upper back. Unless I looked up the wrong thing, the Locke big 3 is even more upper back compression. Maybe try some scapular push-ups , or even light cable presses at your gym where you can let the shoulder blades move more. Anything where the scaps are allowed to widen across your back. It might not directly affect the OHP but it might help.

You might also try using a lighter weight and doing “rack scrap presses,” where you press the bar against the rack while you press overhead. Those feel great when my neck gets tight. Sometimes I just wrap a couple rags around the bar to prevent damage to it.
Ill give it a try. Thx! I had to Google some of those lifts

And now for something completely different: :)

Get a coach. First, get medical clearance, then get a coach. Coach will help you figure out realistic goals, good paths to achieving them, point out changes you should make in your form, and more.

Too expensive? Meet only once every few weeks. Rather just do it yourself? Suck it up, buttercup. :). Remember that getting injured isn’t a problem, recovering is, and every recovery from the same injury is almost always worse in every way: takes longer and often it’s a little less complete each time.

-S-

Is good advice. I've been cleared by doctors.

I have a power lifting coach. Or had a coach. He is more an adviser now. He would probably tell me not to bother barbell OHPing, lol. Do the versions that work for you, safely. Which is pretty much what I do.

Ill post a video very soon. I have no problem paying somebody for coaching. Barbell OHP is just not my priority right now (and maybe never will be). I was reading another OHP thread and I figured I'd share this issue that I have never resolved.

I have a power lifting coach. Or had a coach. He is more an adviser now. He would probably tell me not to bother barbell OHPing, lol. Do the versions that work for you, safely. Which is pretty much what I do.

OHP isn't even a priority for modern weightlifters, although plenty (like me) do it in the off season as GPP.

Once competition season starts, I stop OHP entirely -- I need to save my shoulders for PP, snatch, and jerks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom