all posts post new thread

Barbell OHP or BP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Might give the nod to bench press for beginners. It allows you to move more weight and get into some real weights faster. Which in turn grows your strength quickly, especially when you first start lifting. I found when I first started lifting I mostly did Bench Press. I was lifting in the basement with my Dad's plastic York weights and a page with about 8 exercises on it that came with the set. When I went to a gym and started to do other exercises, I could use a much larger weight than one might expect. Bench seemingly had also built rows, shoulder press, curls, etc.

OHP might be an overall better exercise for many/most athletic endeavors (there is something about lifting weight over head that seems to build great strength) and one I would move onto or include (why not do both if you want?) once you move into the intermediate phase of your lifting career.

To me both are great exercises. I give the nudge to BP when you first start lifting and to OHP once you advance and are maybe looking to improve on the sporting field.

The combination of bench press and a desk job can easily lead to shoulder impingement according to my physio.

How much does he bench?
For her it was the relationship with gradual tightening of the pectoral and the associated postural shift causing internal rotation.
I went to her with shoulder impingement and she was checking the position of my hands when standing relaxed.
She also said that lots of time driving contributed as well.
Perhaps more stretching and/or a more rounded routine would counter this statement.
However, if I was able to relive the last thirty years of on off training, I would have focused more on overhead pressing and working on good posture.

Last edited:
For her it was the relationship with gradual tightening of the pectoral and the associated postural shift causing internal rotation.
I went to her with shoulder impingement and she was checking the position of my hands when standing relaxed.
She also said that lots of time driving contributed as well.
Perhaps more stretching and/or a more rounded routine would counter this statement.
However, if I was able to relive the last thirty years of on off training, I would have focused more on overhead pressing and working on good posture.

Well yes, I agree that tight muscles after lots of sets of bench press certainly leads to momentary internal rotation, I frequently feel it myself.

Doesn't take many minutes to fix it with just a couple of sets of pulling or rowing exercises. Some say the volume should be equal, I'm not sure if that much is necessary. At least I'd say it takes a lot less effort.

I'd also argue that good thoracic mobility is something that should accompany and develop with bench press practice. I think @Anna C has mentioned something along this thought in the past.

Regarding the overhead pressing you mention, I love what the behind the neck press does for the whole upper body in this context. The same goes for the behind the neck pulldown. All a part of a well rounded program, like you said

One of the things we learnt off Andy Bolton is that it difficult to progress the BP and OHP well in the same cycle. You can progress them, but not as well as if you just focus on one or the other. Better to cycle them.

His answer was:
  1. When focussing on BP with BP assistance exercises like the paused bench press or JM Press then the OHP press becomes a lighter/higher volume assistance exercise.
  2. When focusing on the OHP, then the BP becomes a lighter or volume assistance exercise with an emphasis on building muscle.
Although not known for his OHP, he programs and teaches a few of us in it, and we've got to a place where we didn't think possible.

Also, his new book co-authored with Pavel is coming out soon...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom