all posts post new thread

Old and starting S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mad

First Post
So yesterday I started S&S. I’m 58 years old and a retire PSBT, I have attended a KB class several years ago so I’m familiar with the swing and get up, for a few years ago I injured my left shoulder but never went to a doc to get it checked out just dealt with the pain and adjusted anything I did to accommodate the pain. Well my first go on S&S, the swings with a 20 kilo bell went pretty smooth for 10X10, and the getups was a total fail with any weight, I even tried to do in weighted getups but that to was a fail. The issue is that when I post on my left arm, my left shoulder collapses and won’t hold my weight. My question to the more experienced here is should I sub something else in place of the getups til, I regain strength in my shoulder or just “practice” the getup the best I can in weighted to build strength. I refuse to accept that I’m too old and broken to do this just looking for. Little guidance to how to approach this set back.

Congratulations on getting started! I know this is a hard time to get in-person medical advise, but probably the best thing you could do for the get-up is to see a physical therapist and to recover your base strength. It is also worth trying to do unweighted get-ups where you really work on body tension. The weak link is not always where you think it is.

One more resource is this article on ways to improve your get-up, but please be careful. You don't want to start your training program iwht an injury.

Congratulations on getting started! I know this is a hard time to get in-person medical advise, but probably the best thing you could do for the get-up is to see a physical therapist and to recover your base strength. It is also worth trying to do unweighted get-ups where you really work on body tension. The weak link is not always where you think it is.

One more resource is this article on ways to improve your get-up, but please be careful. You don't want to start your training program iwht an injury.
Thank you Tim for the advise! I had to take about a week lay-off to help some family members out of state, but back to it today. I watched the video you linked to and I think the reverseplank would do me good for working my shoulder issue.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom