all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Old man strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
But I don't see too many examples of some sedentary guy at say... 50 or 60 start training and end up with OMS at 70...

Good point but they can still make great progress. OMS seems to be the result of tendon strength and your joints developing the tolerance to match the muscle. I do loaded carries, not even that heavy but at the end of every workout. I am also doing stuff like L-sit holds and just hanging from a bar, daily pushups of only one sets. BUP in my office once a day. Etc. Band pullaparts in my office etc. My core strength is really improving. Sometimes there is no program but just puttering about like an old man but it really does support my main lifts and thai boxing for fitness. I do a set of pullups when I walk across campus to teach.

Good point but they can still make great progress. OMS seems to be the result of tendon strength and your joints developing the tolerance to match the muscle. I do loaded carries, not even that heavy but at the end of every workout. I am also doing stuff like L-sit holds and just hanging from a bar, daily pushups of only one sets. BUP in my office once a day. Etc. Band pullaparts in my office etc. My core strength is really improving. Sometimes there is no program but just puttering about like an old man but it really does support my main lifts and thai boxing for fitness. I do a set of pullups when I walk across campus to teach.
Agreed, indeed they can...

Nice! Making strength part of your job..

@Geoff Chafe @offwidth, nice!

I am the NJ state deadlift record holder in that organization - I did exactly one meet with them, in June of 2014, when I was still in the 55-59 age bracket. I should go find a meet to do, just to put up a number in the 60-64 bracket before I age out of it.

That guy started at 50 and is 70 - he and I are in about the same place. I started in my mid-40's and am now 63.

But wait, there's more - it turns out my measly bench press is also a state record, and I have the 3-lift record as well. Just goes to show ya that showing up is 90% of success.

-S-

@Geoff Chafe @offwidth, nice!

I am the NJ state deadlift record holder in that organization - I did exactly one meet with them, in June of 2014, when I was still in the 55-59 age bracket. I should go find a meet to do, just to put up a number in the 60-64 bracket before I age out of it.

That guy started at 50 and is 70 - he and I are in about the same place. I started in my mid-40's and am now 63.

But wait, there's more - it turns out my measly bench press is also a state record, and I have the 3-lift record as well. Just goes to show ya that showing up is 90% of success.

-S-
Great Steve! OMS!!!
Not that we're old or anything :cool:

Old Man Strength? I suppose I could qualify with my being USA Powerlifting Delaware State record holder in M3-105 division and 2018 USA Powerlifting Mid Atlantic Regionals champion in same division. (64 yrs @ 214#)

I like being strong, but it is just something I have to constantly keep working at. I like doing meets to keep me inspired, to keep me feeling strong, and to keep me feeling young!

Old Man Strength.....hell yeah sonny boy!

Carl in Dover

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom