all posts post new thread

Old Forum old time strong men...why do they look different?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
but they still looked different than today's BB'ers. Big chests or not...
I think it might also have to do with the inventions of the squat rack and the bench for pressing. Before that, strongmen had to hoist the weight off the ground if they wanted to get it across their shoulders. As for the bench press, I think Pavel wrote somewhere that it never would have occurred to the old time strongmen to test their strength while lying down.

One of the strongest met I ever knew was my old dad, God rest his soul. He spent 30 years as a heavy good mechanic. He was strong in ways I can't even describe. Funnily enough, Eddie Hall is also a truck mechanic...

Funny enough, my dad was strong as hell. He died few years a go to cancer. He was a boxer when he was young. He worked as a metal and repair mechanic almost a forty years. He trained for olympics, but broke his jaw against to a heavier competitor.

here's the answer:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"
OBTAINING IDEAL PROPORTIONS and STRENGTH the OLD-TIME STRONGMAN WAY, PARTS 1 and 2 – by JOHN ALLSTADT
By Russtiron

It is an unfortunate fact that the numbers constituting ideal body proportions in strength training have been significantly distorted in the past twenty or thirty years. The majority of people training with weights today have an unusual vision of what the ideal physique should look like and be capable of; an ideal which differs dramatically from that of their strongman ancestors of years ago. What is the difference between the two physiques? How can a person develop a strongman type of physique, with strength to match? To answer these questions, let us first look at the reasons why the proportions, and even more importantly, the capabilities, of the ideal physique have changed so dramatically in recent years.

There are two main reasons for such a shift in perspective, the first being anabolic steroids. Steroids, along with the advent of muscle-pumping and split routines, have made it possible for the average Joe Lifter to transcend the very limits of his genetics, thus building a muscular physique which does not conform to the structure of his skeleton. An 18-inch arm and a 50-inch chest look out of proportion on a person with a wrist under 7 inches. In addition to the unpleasant appearance caused by this disparity between skeleton and muscle, artificially-spun muscle often appears abnormal due to bloat, puffiness, and lack of density. Furthermore, steroids and muscle spinning have enabled lifters to achieve overblown proportions without the grueling leg, hip, and lower back work which is essential for gains in natural lifters. In bypassing this pant-and-puff-style leg and back work, and opting for muscle spinning and pumping, the acquisition of great strength becomes virtually impossible. Consequently, the muscle-pumper or muscle-spinner has effectively turned his physique into a façade: large muscles which appear powerful (to the uninformed, anyway), yet in reality possess no more strength than those of the average man on the street.

The second reason for the change in ideal proportions is directly related to the first. As discussed above, steroids have enabled bodybuilders to bypass heavy leg and lower back movements, movements that are critical in gaining great strength. This ignoring of the legs and lower back leads to a condition which modern bodybuilders mistakenly believe adds to a look of power: the wasp waist. To old-time strongmen, a wasp waist was a blatant indication of a lack of bodily strength and power. Today, however, with the proliferation of steroids and muscle-spinning routines, a wasp waist has become ideal, and it is not uncommon to hear of men building, or attempting to build, a 50-inch chest on top of a 30-inch waist. This type of physique brings to mind the image of a large, heavy oak door with paper clips for door hinges. The idea that this wasp waist signifies great power is truly baffling to me, for the muscles of the waist and low back are responsible for stabilizing the body and transferring power to the limbs. A muscular waist actually adds to the appearance of power, for without a thick, strong, heavy-muscled midsection, true strength is impossible.

To get an idea of the difference in ideal proportions and lifting capabilities between a modern bodybuilder and an old-time strongman, let’s take the example of two fictional individuals of identical height and bone structure. The first – Biff Bulky – ...................................

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom