all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Old, tired, stiff and sore.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Sure!

This is a @Geoff Neupert program for a whole year.

I am in the last week of the 1st month. The first phase is called Reflexive stability reload, which is the most interesting part for me as in the last year I had small but frequent injuries, and I know there is something going on with my right hip, knee and ankle, so I am trying to balance my strength and mobility, that's why I stopped double bells work and decided to start this program..

There is a warm up OS style, and then a 30 minutes workout, in this 1st month alternating workouts A and B 3 times a week, ABA, BAB, etc

What I am noticing with this program by now is something you could name Inner strength or something, like the the whole body is better wired or linked, and this is something you notice when you move, in my case specially in "weird" postures, as coming up form the floor, or changing position when lying down...

This first month can be really challenging depending on how you autoregulate. After the first sessions I didn't think I could do more work, but each week I have been able to do more, sweating and breathing like a buffalo.

Some days before the hard workout I found myself procrastinating... waiting for some excuse for not training because I dread it!!!

But I didn't fail anyone, I am really happy with this program.
I still can't tell about the forthcoming phases and workouts

I hope it helps.

May I offer up a suggestion....

Old, tired, stiff and sore.....drop the old bit.

Plenty of the younger population who are young, tired, stiff and sore, if using age as a variable to be considered.

A 25 year old with no athletic history has to scale and modify exercise selection appropriately for their 'condition' of being young.

Of course, greater risk of illness, physical decay and the slow march to death with advancing decades. So yeah modify stuff, no big deal, just like young people do.

If you start thinking old you become old. And then you start considering golf.....

Sure!

This is a @Geoff Neupert program for a whole year.

I am in the last week of the 1st month. The first phase is called Reflexive stability reload, which is the most interesting part for me as in the last year I had small but frequent injuries, and I know there is something going on with my right hip, knee and ankle, so I am trying to balance my strength and mobility, that's why I stopped double bells work and decided to start this program..

There is a warm up OS style, and then a 30 minutes workout, in this 1st month alternating workouts A and B 3 times a week, ABA, BAB, etc

What I am noticing with this program by now is something you could name Inner strength or something, like the the whole body is better wired or linked, and this is something you notice when you move, in my case specially in "weird" postures, as coming up form the floor, or changing position when lying down...

This first month can be really challenging depending on how you autoregulate. After the first sessions I didn't think I could do more work, but each week I have been able to do more, sweating and breathing like a buffalo.

Some days before the hard workout I found myself procrastinating... waiting for some excuse for not training because I dread it!!!

But I didn't fail anyone, I am really happy with this program.
I still can't tell about the forthcoming phases and workouts

I hope it helps.
Thank you for your reply! Sounds like a great program? In KB WOD there were no direct back/rowing work except for a couple of days through out the full year. Can you tell If there is any in this program?

Is it bodyweight only in this phase or will it be present in every phase?

May I offer up a suggestion....

Old, tired, stiff and sore.....drop the old bit.

Plenty of the younger population who are young, tired, stiff and sore, if using age as a variable to be considered.

A 25 year old with no athletic history has to scale and modify exercise selection appropriately for their 'condition' of being young.

Of course, greater risk of illness, physical decay and the slow march to death with advancing decades. So yeah modify stuff, no big deal, just like young people do.

If you start thinking old you become old. And then you start considering golf.....

Well....yes....and no...

One of the things I had to mentally / programmatically adjust to is that I (as a 52 year old weightlifter) usually can't take a training protocol designed (for example) as a competition peaking program for a 25 year old and just use it off the shelf.

While I can out perform a de-conditioned / de-trained / never trained 25 year old, that doesn't mean I can use the same program as a 25 year old competitive athlete.

It's not a matter of exercise selection -- it's a matter of recoverable volume and intensity.

P.S. golf is *hard* if you take it seriously!

Last edited:
Well exactly....scale and modify appropriately for your needs. Adjust intensity and volume, absolutely..

If you think age as a condition though then it has a negative bias when really it is just a variable. Where you are in the lifespan is analogous to where you are in your training in a sense that intensity and volume are factored according to training history, state and goals.

I'm 58 and hear 'I'm too old' from people a lot younger than I am and generally it sets a self defeating tone. Not so much an excuse but a barrier maybe.

No offence meant towards the golfers....

I get where everyone is coming from on both sides of a "age is just/not just a number" argument.

Nothing wrong with acknowledging age and factoring it into training. I don't think I'm really "old" even though I might joke about it. On the other hand, my training absolutely can't be the same as it was when I was 20, or even 40.

When I look back at what I was capable of doing as a trained athlete in my 20s, I feel old.

When I look at most of the other dads at the various kids' sporting events that I attend, I feel like an indestructible superhero.

It's all relative.

I had a pretty funny moment at the last weightlifting meet.

I was in the back, with the 34 other lifters, doing my warm up.

Some of the lifters were young hotshots (18-20) gunning for some serious numbers in order to get a high Robi score to help get on the national team.

This kid's dad, about my age (or a little younger), walks back, and his son was warming up on the platform next to me.

And he just stares at me like I'm an alien....."WTF? He's doing this stuff???"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom